Ex-colonies culture consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Ex-colonies culture consultation

Postby jamescfm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 am

The Dovani section of the Global Role-Play Committee, in consultation with the rest of the Committee and Moderation, is proposing to make some changes to the way in which information about the Third World is communicated and represented. At present, the recently updated "Third World Information" is the only binding source of information for players about the ethnic and linguistic background of the former colonies. The new thread contains a brief overview of each nation, more than the previous thread, but it is still very limited when contrasted to the cultural protocol system which binds many in-game playable nations. With this in mind, we are suggesting that these "nation descriptions" be replaced with short documents similar to cultural protocols, which outline the ethnic, linguistic and religious background of each former colonial nation.

Below we've composed an example to demonstrate how the two systems would differ. It should be noted that the population breakdown in this example is not final and we would consult further on the exact cultural background of each nation before finalising any implementation of this proposal. At this stage, we are simply asking players about the mechanics of this system, not the details of the cultural background.

Current system:
Noumonde
Controller: Open
Military ranking: No power
Economic ranking: In need of development
Background: Formerly colonised by Rildanor, Noumonde is a nation with a strong monarchist tradition. Canrillaise (French) is the dominant language although the native Malgy (Malagasy) population speak the Malgy (Malagasy) language. Luthorian (English) is also spoken by a significant minority of the population due to the country's colonial past.

New proposed system:
Noumonde
Controller: Open

Overview: Formerly colonised by Rildanor, Noumonde is a nation with a strong monarchist tradition. Since achieving independence, there has been a significant degree of tension between the native Malgy (Malagasy) population and Canrillaise (French) settlers, the descendants of Rildanorien colonists.

Ethnic identity:
  • Malgy (Malagasy)- 70%
  • Canrillaise (French)- 17%
  • Malgyrillaise (mixed heritage, French and Malagasy)- 6%
  • Other- 7%
Religion:
  • Malgyism (Traditional Madagascan beliefs)- 52%
  • Aurorian Patriarchal Church (Roman Catholic Church)- 35%
  • Daenism (Buddhism)- 3%
  • Other- 5%
  • Irreligious- 5%
Language: Canrillaise (French) is the dominant and official language in Noumonde however most of the Malgy (Malagasy) population speak the native Malgy (Malagasy) language. Luthorian (English) is spoken by a sizeable minority, though this is primarily as an additional language.

Military ranking: No power
Economic ranking: In need of development

In this thread, we would like to hear from players about what they feel the impacts, benefits and limitations of a system like this would be. In particular, we welcome the opinion of players who have controlled ex-colonies in the past about whether they feel this would have made control easier or harder, from current controllers about how this would affect their role-play and from players who have considered controlling a nation in about whether this would have encouraged or discouraged them from applying for control.
jamescfm

Re: Ex-colonies culture consultation

Postby jamescfm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:59 pm

Although there has been no response in this thread, we have received unanimously positive feedback from players on this proposal and so we're tentatively suggesting that it will be implemented. Before doing so, it would be beneficial to consult players on the cultures which will be contained within this new system and so we'll be widening the scope of this consultation beyond the system and onto the matter of the cultural background of the Third World.

Many of these new documents will simply codify the existing culture however we have identified some nations where we feel it may be better to make some changes. While we appreciate that some of these changes are significant and may have an impact on previous role-play, we have sought to preserve existing culture wherever possible. Even so, we feel they are important as part of attempts to increase the accessibility of the Third World nations and to create a game world which better represents the plurality of real world ethnic and linguistic groups which exist.

The proposed changes, with an explanation of our reasoning:
Midway: The native Mixtec and Zapotec groups of Midway will be replaced with a native Kikuyu population, the former groups will become minorities in other nations. Mixtec and Zapotec are both fundamentally inaccessible in terms of both language and naming. Kikuyu fits more appropriately with the East African theme of neighbouring Kurageri.
Ntoto: The "Congolese" people will be replaced by the Mandinka people as the largest indigenous group. Congolese/Kongo people are native to Central Africa, which is the stated culture of Temania. Ntoto and the surrounding nations have a West African theme, for which Mandinka would be a better fit.
Statrica: The generic "West African" culture will be replaced with a specifically Igbo majority. Igbos are a West African group but this change removes any ambiguity about the nation's culture.
Temania: The Hausa people will be replaced by the Kongo people as the largest indigenous group. Temania's culture is described as "Central African" but the Hausa are a West African group who speak an Afroasiatic language (other members of this language family are concentrated in Majatra in the game). Kongo people are native to Central Africa.
Utembo: The Swahili people will be replaced by the Tswana people as the largest indigenous group. Swahili people are somewhat over-represented in the game, being the dominant culture in Kurageri too. Replacing them with the Tswana ensures we don't lose an African nation in the process.

It should be noted that all of the "new" ethnic groups being introduced are featured in the name generators on Fantasy Name Generator. We feel this is an important measure of accessibility when considering cultural changes. Please raise any queries or potential issues in this thread and I will endeavour to respond to them on behalf of the Global Role-Play Committee.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Based on the fact that I've received no response from players on this, I'm going to assume that most are comfortable with the proposed changes and proceed as outlined in the above post. Given that it will take a significant amount of time to compose cultural protocols for each of the former colonies, there is still time for players to raise any issues or queries if they have them.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:57 am

A quick update to let everyone know that this is still happening, it's just a time-consuming task!
jamescfm

Postby Reddy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 am

The cultural reforms proposed by James will still be adopted. I am working on the in-game names and welcome any contributions there. Nasania suggested that the Lenape be added as a cultural group to Degalogesa, a country which contains several Native American cultures already, an idea I agree with.

Here are some naming suggestions for the new Third World cultures.

Igbo - Keobi (same as in Talmoria)
Kikuyu - Kibara
Lenape - Awenik
Mandinka - Kintoto
Tswana – Batembo
Kitemanya - Kongo
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Reddy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

The changes have been implemented. Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback and advice in this process.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Glad to see this continued, thanks!
jamescfm

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Whilst is not my place here to ask such question i cannot find anything resembling questions about mechanics of the game. So, the game has weird mechanics when comes to endorsing. First I thought that seats count only, and that their number decides who wins, endorsing meaning only giving your seats to someone. But it did not worked. please if someone can help me understand
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby Auditorii » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:30 pm

ChengherRares1 wrote:Whilst is not my place here to ask such question i cannot find anything resembling questions about mechanics of the game. So, the game has weird mechanics when comes to endorsing. First I thought that seats count only, and that their number decides who wins, endorsing meaning only giving your seats to someone. But it did not worked. please if someone can help me understand

This is not the place for this, and please do not repeatedly spam the same question in multiple forums.

The answer to your question is endorsing a party is only for the head of state election. It means instead of the game using your head of state candidate it will endorse another parties candidate and will generally give whatever randomly generated votes based on a number of factors.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Auditorii wrote:
ChengherRares1 wrote:Whilst is not my place here to ask such question i cannot find anything resembling questions about mechanics of the game. So, the game has weird mechanics when comes to endorsing. First I thought that seats count only, and that their number decides who wins, endorsing meaning only giving your seats to someone. But it did not worked. please if someone can help me understand

This is not the place for this, and please do not repeatedly spam the same question in multiple forums.

The answer to your question is endorsing a party is only for the head of state election. It means instead of the game using your head of state candidate it will endorse another parties candidate and will generally give whatever randomly generated votes based on a number of factors.

Thank you! I know that I spammed it twice, as to ensure that the chance to be seen are higher, I do not know where I can see active members so I posted several times on different posts, at least you clarified me. Can't I create my own forum page? That would help me in the future, instead of being some kind of random traveler asking for help.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Next

Return to General