Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: PT Classic Dynamic Rankings (Updated: 06/19/2020)

Postby Auditorii » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:51 am

Aquinas wrote:I am pleased by Malivia's upgrade to a Middle power militarily/politically, as I was hoping that status would be achieved sooner or later.

The economic rankings are somewhat confused by the fact we now have differential population numbers for each nation, instead of almost every nation having about 100 million people, as had been the case previously. This means the current definitions in the economic power ranking become problematic, as they take in to account how economically developed a country is, but not the size of its economy. For reference, I quote the definitions below, which are drawn from the OP of this thread:

Economic Power Ranking
Underdeveloped: These countries are the Third World nations of Terra, whose colonial regimes abused them in order to profit in days gone by. They have often been intentionally undeveloped or developed in such a way as to divide the people therein for the benefit of the metropole. They struggle to provide even basic healthcare or education to their people, and they are highly reliant on international aid and charity. These nations do benefit from the continued focus on the extraction economy, and they often can sell their goods at lower prices than most more developed nations on the international market.

Weak: These countries have economies typically centered around the agricultural or extraction sectors. Though some manufacturing might exist, if it exists on any large scale it is likely to be internationally owned and thus unprofitable for the host nation. Locals might have set up subsistence economies that emphasize manufacturing in the household (cottage industries) to compensate for the lack. Generally, the people of these countries have poor education and health relative to more developed nations. The family unit and the community in these nations are likely to be very important to everyday life, and people are likely to feel much less alienated than in the more automated and high-paced medium and high development nations. Pollution is largely a result of agricultural and extraction byproducts, and these are typically water pollutants. These nations are very often net exporters, but the goods they export may not get them too much in return.

Average: These countries have economies centered most heavily on manufacturing or extraction-based industries, but they might also have some clusters of post-industrial industries along side some agricultural industry. These countries have lower life expectancy, less education, and less income (primarily GDP per capita) than high development nations, but they can also generally boast higher employment than the increasingly automated high development nations, a more citizenry more generally engaged in the political sphere than in the more alienated high development nations, etc. These nations likely are more likely to be heavy polluters than many other nations. Though they are generally less active on international markets than high development nations, their economies often center around export and so trade is relatively important.

Strong and Very Strong: These countries have economies typically centered around services and high tech industries. Culture and political goals can influence what types of industries are most influential, e.g. the agricultural or manufacturing sectors are still important for certain real-world high development economies, but these industries should be secondary and perhaps being phased out. More and higher quality education and health opportunities exist. These countries tend to have higher GDP per capita and median incomes, although inequality may still persist. These countries typically have higher standards of living, but can also experience the consequences of such an economy, such as increased alienation, higher unemployment as automation increases, the decreased importance of the family unit, etc. These countries tend to be active in international markets, but don't necessarily always experience trade surpluses.

Hyperpower: Only one nation on terra could possibly become a hyperpower. Being a hyperpower means you have the largest economy on Terra and have an economy that affects others when it does good or bad. A hyperpower economy is however highly vulnerable in times of crisis and has the problem of possibly overburdening itself. A hyperpower economy is also mostly focussed on the services and tech sector and is most of the time highly dependent on food and industrial imports from other countries. The currency of a hyperpower is generally considered to be the standard exchange currency globally. Reaching this status is extremely hard and only possible after prolonged, detailed economic RP.

Malivia, I notice, has been upgraded from a "Weak" economic power to an "Average" one. My initial reaction to that was surprise, since I have clearly RPed Malivia as being a country with significant "Third World"/"developing world" elements. It has more advanced elements as well, and there are some wealthier classes of people...but nonetheless, the average income and general standard of living in Malivia, at least in my conception, is low.

Perhaps it would be possible to justify Malivia being an "Average" economic power on the basis that although its people are generally poor, it does have a large population (second only to Indrala, I think). It is not easy to calculate whether the large population would be enough to do this, though. For this reason, I believe it would be better if the economic rankings consisted of two parts, one for average income per person, and another for economy size/"economic power" (calculated by multiplying the population by the average income per person). We did this for Terra Nations, and I present the spreadsheet for reference here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... A2/pubhtml

I am not massively bothered whether Malivia's economy is ranked as "Weak" or "Average", but what I am hoping for is an an assurance from Moderation that under whichever ranking Malivia is given, there is a recognition this is a country with deep problems relating to poverty and underdevelopment.

My ideal preference would be that Malivia should have an even bigger population than it does currently, and have an economy which is "Average" or even "Strong" in terms of size of the economy, but where the country is still essentially very poor/undeveloped. However, if staying at "Weak" would be a better option in terms of ensuring my current RP does not run in to problems, then I would prefer that.

Vesica and I's justification for ranking up Malivia was based on your RP and despite the glaring issues with the country, we believe that the presence of a stable government combined with the massive population you have would've prompted some form of economic growth, even if not in the lower strata of the economy.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:58 am

I do not understand the criteria being applied in some of these decisions. The reasoning for keeping Trigunia in its position is that there is an "absence of any real significant power" within Makon and Keris. Except that Dolgava has just been promoted to a strong economy and Hutori remains a very strong economy and a great power (in a region composed of only seven countries). In contrast there is only one country in the entire continent of Artania (which is composed of thirteen countries) that is above an average economy or a middle power and yet you won't promote Endralon to a strong economy.

In general though I do not understand the reasoning why it is a problem that powerful countries are located in close proximity to one another. In real life, the opposite has been true. Until the end of 19th century, all of the world's great powers were located in Europe and even throughout the 20th century many of the countries remained grouped together (e.g. Britain, France, Germany and Italy; China, Russia and Japan).

Even if I am willing to accept this notion that the number of regional or great powers per region should be restricted, the decision to deny Jakania regional power status does not even conform to the standards you have just laid out. In explaining why Trigunia retains its status as a regional power, you cited a lack of significant powers in the Makon and Keris region. Between Hutori and Trigunia, there are two countries that are either regional or great powers. For what reason is it then unacceptable that Majatra (a region over twice the size of Makon and Keris with sixteen countries) should have four regional powers (and notably, no great powers). Note that this is literally a lower average than you think is not only permissible but necessary in Makon and Keris.

Taking this logic a step further though, let me assume that for whatever reason Majatra should not have more than three significant powers. The sensible course of action would then seem to be to demote Vanuku. Nobody would enjoy seeing Vanuku demoted but the fact is that it has not been role-played with at all for over a month and prior to that the country experienced internal instability. Even if I accept these two assumptions- that there should be a limit on the number of significant powers in a region and that the limit in Majatra should be no more than three- that for the record, I do not accept, there still does not seem to be a compelling argument not to promote Jakania.

Turning to the cases of the rest of the countries that I listed. I don't think that we should be limiting each category to a certain number of countries, particularly if we are considering something like an economic crisis but if this is the way the rules are then I will offer some further recommendations. Replacing the downgraded average economies, consider upgrading Badara, Zardugal, Egelion and Aloria. Replacing the downgraded middle powers, consider reversing Lodamun's downgrade and upgrading Badara, Likatonia, Aloria and Keymon.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 am

Weve provided our reasons for Endralon and we won't be altering it.

As I stated, I'll chat with Vesica about Jakania and we'll see what we decide.

As for the rest of the countries you mentioned we'll mull it over and decide what we feel is appropriate to change.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Auditorii » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 am

Included in what I said above about discussing with Vesica, I'll give a breakdown on how we'd approach this case and how we'd approach moving nations up to Regional and Great powers generally.

Let's start with your examples:

(1) You cited a "military modernization program" which began in September 4768 (Jun 13), here it is July/August 4772 (June 20; at the time me posting this). That is roughly 4 years, a quick look through your newspaper find no subsequent significant mention of the military modernization program, a post from June 15 mentions it. The program itself is focused on really three things, an increase in the defense budget, the potential joining of the Zoo Alliance and the Majatran Jet Fighter Program none of which have been substantiated with further RP with the exception of the MJFP (more on that next). While on the face this might appear to be Jakania increasing it's "hard power", it lacks follow through that would be associated with a defense build up especially with someone who has goals to become a regional power. So in the criteria of "hard power" it's not looking good;

(2) The Majatran Jet Fighter Program, for what it is, is a good step in the right direction in both a "hard power" and "soft power" concept. "soft power" really benefits Deltaria more as it provides potential access to newer markets when it comes to selling defense-related products. Now lets break down the actual program itself, the MJFP is a Yakovlev Yak-130, a light jet fighter with potential CAS (close air support) roles but more importantly it serves as a jet trainer, that is its primary goal. Now for Jakania it would be assumed that they likely have older Deltaria and Trigunian stock with some domestically produced equipment (Turkish given its cultural alignment). Vesica and I have always been of the mind that most nations possess some basic modern equipment but generally unless there is significant RP to justify the presence of more modern equipment, the nation is believed to have very "basic" defense material. So lets look at the fighter in a "hard power" concept, comparative to your neighbors (primarily Deltaria, Istalia, an "empty" Vanuku and Kafuristan) the presence of the MJFP would not necessarily allow Jakania to compete heavily in a conflict with the MJFP. I don't want to get technical but had you RP'd buying a shipment of MiG-29s from Deltaria, it would have lent greater credence to the program because it would've provided a multi-role air force that Jakania currently lacks;

(3) You note the naval exercises with Jakania, Malivia and Deltaria. Let's ignore the fact that the Malivian Navy would unlikely be able to support an operation over an extended period of time at the mouth of Majatra, let's focus on the singular exercise that the Jakanian Navy would've conducted. Its one exercise. You can review references in other regional and great power newspaper that note frequent exercises. This exercise also would've likely taken place prior to your claimed "military modernization program" which begs the question that if your navy was able to conduct exercises, what deficiencies did they discover during the exercises that required a relatively large shift in policy to support a modernization program?

(4) You cite Deltaria stating that Jakania is on "equal footing" with Istalia and Deltaria, while that might be true in context of the RP, it's not necessarily true outside of the context of the RP.

(5) Let's just take a look at the budget that Jakania has for the sake of it. Your exchange rate to the LOD is currently 1 JAK = 0.0945 LOD. Vesica and I always take this with a grain of salt but it helps provide SOME context to what we're looking at. Your budget in LOD (the base currency of the game) $4,252,500,000 ($4.2b) which places you somewhere around Denmark/Belgium/Romania (Source) now as I said, we always take this with a grain of salt because PT doesn't 100% equate to the real world and we have some differences (lol). The spending amounts to roughly about 1.7% of your GDP, not excessive which is a good thing.

(6) Taking a look through the Jakanian newspaper shows a huge focus on domestic politics, something like 22 or 23 posts by you shows a breakdown of 15 roughly domestic, 6/7 international and 1 focused on the military exclusively. I've taken a look at the posts also made by WuHan and they are generally focused on domestic politics with some international affairs sprinkled in. This generally shows that the predisposition is towards domestic politics and international politics, while the focus has been regional, only starts more towards current years in-game.

(7) As for the number of regional powers and great powers, etc. Jakania's immediate neighbor Deltaria and some extend Vanuku have a far better established international presence and have a significant jump on regional affairs, notably Deltaria who pioneered the Majatran Economic Association (?). Does this mean that were "cap" the number of RPs or GPs in an area? No, not at all. We simply look at the relative strength and areas of influence that the current regional powers have and Jakania, for all intents and purposes, could be counted well within the Deltarian sphere of influence. The reliance on Deltaria to bolster against Kazulia, the reliance on Deltaria to provide the basis for the MJFP, and the MEA provide benefits to both Jakania and Deltaria but definitely benefits Deltaria more in the long run.

Now with that said, if you wanted to say that Jakania was a "soft power" regional power? I'd be inclined to agree with you. If you wanted to say that Jakania was a "hard power" regional power? I'd disagree with you strongly. Now as you've said and we've discussed internally, the issue of the rankings in terms of Military and Political Influence being combined does cause some issue, something we hope to address soon and in future rankings. Right now however, we don't believe that Jakania checks both boxes for hard and soft power to rank up.

and with that, I am off to bed. I'm sure you'll respond but ultimately Vesica and I will discuss what I've provided here and we'll discuss I'm sure some other things that I've missed at 0124.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Rogue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:26 am

Let me start by saying im more then satisfied with Deltaria's changes in the rankings. I firmly believe in a slow but steady growth except in special circumstances (a war that brings a country to the forefront, such as ww2) but yes i am very happy with the emerging status since it also allows for further interesting RP.

I agree with James that Dorvik should probably be either declining or downgraded to regional. Simply for the fact that their influence globally has been waning sometime, they have not RPed any major military or geopolitical RP's in the last month or so and most of the RP has been internally. I truly think that a Great Power has some sort of responsibility to fascilitate RP and truly RP as a Great Power, projecting their power or at least involving themselves in most major affairs.

As for Endralon i disagree with James. I am supportive of Moderation in this regard because as they stated, having one large multinational company does not mandate a strong economy. In fact, it results in a very weak and unstable economy. If that company defaults, you have nothing. In my opinion a strong economy has a bit of everything, a manufacturing base, a service industry and other industries that play significant roles. Thats simply not the case in Endralon yet.

Im conflicted in Jakania. While yes they have become more and more influential in recent IG years and have been regarded as equall in several deals and situations by Deltaria and others. I also believe that Jakania still has a small way to go before being a truly regional power. That is mainly due to the way Deltaria has designed its relationship with the nation as a power, but one below itself. But as i said im conflicted. Since Jakania has done some excellent work (James and Wu) and i truly think that you could make a strong case for regional power status as well.

As for Trigunia. Thats a suprise for me. Honestly i dont understand why they would even be considered for a rise in the rankings or for their ranking to be maintained. Its weird to me, and sends the wrong message to those of us that are active. Trigunia has a constant change of government, a declining military, a shrinking economy and no political influence in the region whatsoever. I think it should be considered a middle power at best.
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby robmark0000 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:14 am

Mr.God wrote:Let me start by saying im more then satisfied with Deltaria's changes in the rankings. I firmly believe in a slow but steady growth except in special circumstances (a war that brings a country to the forefront, such as ww2) but yes i am very happy with the emerging status since it also allows for further interesting RP.

I agree with James that Dorvik should probably be either declining or downgraded to regional. Simply for the fact that their influence globally has been waning sometime, they have not RPed any major military or geopolitical RP's in the last month or so and most of the RP has been internally. I truly think that a Great Power has some sort of responsibility to fascilitate RP and truly RP as a Great Power, projecting their power or at least involving themselves in most major affairs.

As for Endralon i disagree with James. I am supportive of Moderation in this regard because as they stated, having one large multinational company does not mandate a strong economy. In fact, it results in a very weak and unstable economy. If that company defaults, you have nothing. In my opinion a strong economy has a bit of everything, a manufacturing base, a service industry and other industries that play significant roles. Thats simply not the case in Endralon yet.

Im conflicted in Jakania. While yes they have become more and more influential in recent IG years and have been regarded as equall in several deals and situations by Deltaria and others. I also believe that Jakania still has a small way to go before being a truly regional power. That is mainly due to the way Deltaria has designed its relationship with the nation as a power, but one below itself. But as i said im conflicted. Since Jakania has done some excellent work (James and Wu) and i truly think that you could make a strong case for regional power status as well.

As for Trigunia. Thats a suprise for me. Honestly i dont understand why they would even be considered for a rise in the rankings or for their ranking to be maintained. Its weird to me, and sends the wrong message to those of us that are active. Trigunia has a constant change of government, a declining military, a shrinking economy and no political influence in the region whatsoever. I think it should be considered a middle power at best.

So, I don't want tensions between me/James and the Moderation, I just want my work to be successful, I think this is understandable. The More Medicament Manufacture not just the only economic base of Endralon, this is false. See the Transnational Registrar of Companies, currently we have 8 large multinational/national corporations, the 3M is just the largest from them. I think Endralon have one of the most active economic life of Terra at the moment, and If I have to work more and more, I will. My goal is make a significant power from Endralon, and for this, the strong economy is necessary. Maybe in the next rankings.

Further, 3M is not just a large multinational company, but the largest healthcare company in the world at the moment operating in 18 nations, so this is also a little false. Furthermore, there is the economic activity of Endralon in the last decade, what prove that we not just strong in companies, but with economic cooperation like with Valruzia, what not the member of the 3M, but also was the largest economic partner of our country when it was a strong economy.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 am

colonelvesica wrote:Alright... First World Rankings are done. Farsun and I will be updating the Third World Nations in a few days.

Summary of Changes

Economic
Yingdala up to Very Strong
Kalistan & Dolgava up to Strong
Kazullia & Lourenne down to Strong
Malivia, Telamon & Dundorf up to Average
Vanuku, Valruzia & Keymon down to Average
Lodamun down to Weak

Military
Yingdala up to Great Power
Kazullia & Istalia down to Regional Power
Deltaria is considered an Emerging Regional Power
Telamon, Endralon & Malivia up to Middle Power
Lourenne & Valruzia down to Middle Power
Lodamun down to Small Power

As usual by all means players, comment and ask questions, we are at your disposal.

I could ask why Lodamun went down on economy, despite the anarchist RP on economy? On military I have no comment, as there was a civil war and the military suffered splits and neglect, but on the economy issue, Lodamun made own airways, started trading with Vascania, Kalistan, I also developed the coastal cities with new ports and industries. Maybe at least Lodamun should stay at medium power, if not raised. I am more contented for fairness to stay at medium, as for military, I cannot argue against the demotion, it is only fair when Lodamun made very few to no military rp.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 am

All I can say to be honest is that I am utterly confused by the standards being applied and why they are being applied so arbitrarily. When I first enquired about Jakania's position, you made no mention of having any issues with the military role-play that had been conducted and said that it was mainly due to the crowing of the region with significant powers. If your reasoning was that our military role-play does not meet these incredibly specific standards then why did you not make these clear in your original response?

I don't think it would be useful to respond to the detailed analysis of Jakania's military role-play that you provided in a point-by-point manner so allow me to just offer some thoughts. Why are the standards being imposed on Jakania not being applied to Dorvik and Trigunia? Neither of these countries has a single news post in their national thread about their military since the rankings were last updated. The criteria for Jakania to become a regional power involves holding up to a seven point analysis from Moderation but for Trigunia to retain that position, it has to do literally nothing. I do not mean figuratively nothing. Trigunia has had literally zero role-play posts since the last rankings.

The idea of Jakania being within the "Deltarian sphere of influence" shows a total lack of awareness of the role-play that has been conducted. I have already shown you quotations from the Deltarian news thread that make explicitly clear that Jakania is to be treated as an equal partner and in terms of the Majatran Economic Association, the treaty we signed with Yingdala contains specific provisions that were forced by the Jakanian position within the grouping, such as a guarantee that we retain all of our own oil revenues. The fact is though, I am not even asking for Jakania's position to be equal to Deltaria because they are an "emerging power".

The use of the budget as an example is incredibly strange to me. I was not aware that national budgets were taken into account in determining military rankings and if I had known this in advance then it would obviously have affected my behaviour. I do have questions about how a country like Lourenne (with a totally broken economy) is supposed to be able to meet this criterion since it was a regional power until these rankings.

For me the most concerning thing is the approach that you take to considering the role-play in Jakania. Given that we are still in the middle of a discussion about players engaging in extensive plagiarism to boost their rankings, do you not understand why it would be a bad idea to provide a numerical breakdown of the posts in a national news thread? I have always assumed that quality and not quantity was the priority. Am I to infer that if I had split the modernisation post into seven different posts, or if I had done no domestic role-play then we would be looked on more favourably. The criterion you lay out suggests that the best way to improve Jakania's ranking would be to pump out low-quality, short and detail-laden military posts.

In general I am just struggling to understand the rationale for the decisions being made in these cases. From my perspective it is difficult not to feel that Jakania is being held to a totally different standard from other countries and there has been little explanation of why that is the case.
jamescfm

Postby colonelvesica » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 pm

Well first off, I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback, it's massively appreciated. I haven't weighed in as I try to let the conversation evolve as much as possible. With that in mind I am going to weigh in on each point and person and offer our decisions.

@everyone - Farsun and I have noted the repeated points of "political" or "soft" power coming up consistently. This is a discussion we are currently having for the next rankings as this is a point within the rankings I agree can be improved on. We'll let the community know when we've come to our decision, but I want everyone to know that it is an evolving discussion and one that we are taking seriously.

@Robmark - Endralon has been focused on Economic Role Play... but it's been almost exclusively with 3M. The entire Endralon economy is beholden to the fortune of a single company. If ANYTHING was to happen to that company it would crater your domestic economy. Your economic growth is subsequently a glass tiger as had been mentioned multiple times. Your growing, I won't state otherwise, but if you were made "strong" you'd be a very WEAK strong, and again, 3M is a company for which you've tied your entire economic fortune to. What happens for example if the largest economies 3M does business with were to blacklist, for whatever reason? You do indeed have multiple companies listed in the TNC... but that said I've really only seen 3M in the headlines.

@james - I've noted your entire post of all your queries and I'm proud to come to you with answers. Trigunia is going to down to Middle Power and Average economy. Dorvik is being listed as a Declining Great Power, they have done some military Role Play, but they are declining and I'm won't argue with you otherwise, so it will be noted in the rankings summary.
Answering your direct question about Jakania, I'll ask point blank, if Jakania got into a direct conflict with Deltaria, Kazullia or Istalia, could it hold it's own, or would it be rolled over? This calculation is one of the reasons I wasn't in favour of upgrading you this month. This reasoning is one of the reasons why Farsun and I are discussing the soft power question and we'll have an answer very shortly.
I'm not against your thoughts about downgrading the other powers you have mentioned, and I'll continue that conversation later. You have merit when it comes to them going down.

@Aquinas - If you have further questions feel free, but it looks like you're happy.

@Chenger - You just got out of a destructive civil war where you spent several years butchering each other, and that doesn't equal good economic footings. After a Civil War no economy is going to be in good shape. Will you rebound? Yep, absolutely. Your demotion is more temporary from the affects of the Civil War, then they are long term trends.

@Mr. God - I don't think you raised any concerns that I haven't already addressed.

As usual, if anyone has any further questions or concerns, but all means reach out to me anytime :).

If my following post there will be the slightly updated rankings, based on the feedback
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:18 pm

@colonelvesica If you paid actual attention to the war, it was not destructive at all, all what happened was bunch of mutinies and some skirmishes around Providence, then everything went quiet.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback