Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: PT Classic Population Information (Updated: 04/24/2020)

Postby Auditorii » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Masionette9 wrote:Actually I need advice on the future population of Valruzia - would it be better to have 124 mil or 43 mil population? Help me please 'casue "I am confusion".

There really is no "best" advice for population, its really about flavor more than anything.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Tue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Auditorii wrote:I think for the sake of fairness and simplicity, when it comes to differences in population and economic rankings, we will simply go in the tiers of economic rankings. Meaning, if you're considered "Very Strong" and your nation has a population of 10 million whereas another has a population of 40 million, it will be considered the same. It's a little janky and perhaps not the most realistic but I think in the concept of fairness, it works.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this, I had forgotten about it until I returned to this thread. Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are countries ranked by GDP per capita or by total GDP?

Just a note by the way, there are a few typos in the document: Bianjie is spelt wrong twice and Lodamun is misspelt on the comparative section.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Sun May 17, 2020 9:43 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Auditorii wrote:I think for the sake of fairness and simplicity, when it comes to differences in population and economic rankings, we will simply go in the tiers of economic rankings. Meaning, if you're considered "Very Strong" and your nation has a population of 10 million whereas another has a population of 40 million, it will be considered the same. It's a little janky and perhaps not the most realistic but I think in the concept of fairness, it works.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this, I had forgotten about it until I returned to this thread. Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are countries ranked by GDP per capita or by total GDP?

Just a note by the way, there are a few typos in the document: Bianjie is spelt wrong twice and Lodamun is misspelt on the comparative section.

As mentioned in the Discord chat I'll speak with Vesica about this and we'll go from there.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Pragma » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi, I have a question about the population of Vascania.

The spreadsheet says the area of Vascania is 3.4 million km2, and the population density is 108 people per km2. That would give a population of ~350 million-ish, which I must say I find to be exceptionally reasonable given the culture and the size of the nation. The density given is quite reasonable for more developed Indian culture, as that is the kind of density one generally gets in the more developed parts of India.

However, the figure computed by this spreadsheet is only 69 million. Besides the fact that isn't what the formula above seems to produce, it seems somewhat low considering the nation's geographical size and culture. I think a very large population, like Yingdala has, is highly reasonable in these circumstances. Vascania is certainly less powerful than Yingdala, however I don't know if population necessarily should be seen as equating with power. Otherwise Nigeria would be very, very powerful.

I must ask, from the standpoint of realism and also for the sake of my own RP, that the figure given by the formula be made official as opposed to the 69 million figure. I am willing to accept a slightly lower figure, but I must stand firm in saying a figure in the 9-figures I feel is very much warranted. I would suggest above 200 million, maybe slightly higher than Yingdala. Ideally I would like to see the 350 million figure given by the area and population density that you yourselves have written, because this is the kind of population density you get in the Vascanian-like parts of India. This is a simplistic way of viewing things, but from my standpoint the general argument for a very high figure for Vascania's population is sensible and I would really like to see the figure be made large officially and unambiguously.

Thanks in advance.
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby Wu Han » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 pm

I'll take the opportunity to also continue a discussion I've had with some players and moderators on Discord six days ago (beginning here):

At present, the spreadsheet says that the population of Hanzen is 15 million (18.96/km2). I hadn't noticed this until a few days ago, having recalled previously that Hanzen had one of the largest populations among the non-playable countries (every update on the Hanzen wiki page since 2013 has the population set at 179,991,000).

I think this sharp decline is unjustified, especially given that there is no explanation. Additionally, if we are to accept Pragma/QV73's argument that the population and density should be related to their RL equivalents/inspirations, 18.96/km2 is a far cry from Thailand's 132.1/km2.

I bring this up now as it informs my on-going planning with regard to the potential merger between Hanzen and Ntoto (which is at present the least populated country in the game). The two territories, when added together, would span 1,924,196 km2, placing it among the largest countries in the world geographically. However, the new Hanzen-Ntoto state would then have a population of little over 16 million. This, in my view, is far too small.

I am not necessarily arguing for a restoration of the original population level, but surely we can arrive at a more reasonable figure that satisfies whatever reason it was reduced in the first place, while balancing the basic reality that 15 million is far too small a population.

Thank you.
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby Auditorii » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm going to simply post that Im aware of this. I BELIEVE I made mention of it in Discord, ill do my best to see where these numbers came from tonight but if not I'll definately get to it tomorrow.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8299

I am curious as to how the previous population figures were changed so radically.
Aquinas

Postby Pragma » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Any updates on our questions?

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby Auditorii » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I'll have an answer for you this week.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Pragma » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:56 pm

any updates?

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback