Names of countries

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Names of countries

Postby jamescfm » Wed May 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Sorry if I haven't been clear about the purpose of the discussion. I do not intend to suggest that the alternative names shouldn't be allowed or should be written out of the country's history. The primary motivation for this is organisation of the Wiki, where every country has a page and a category named after it. The name that is decided here is what I intend to use for those pages and what I would suggest Moderation use (for example in Security Council elections). Other names would still be appropriate in other settings and there's no reason that the names could not be changed in future with role-play justification.

As I already said in most countries, the English and native names are different- e.g. Germany (Deutschland) and Japan (Nippon)- but there are still many countries where the native name and the English name are the same- e.g. Argentina and Indonesia. This list is intended only to reflect the English name for each country. Liu Che and Wu Han have recommended that this should be Yingdala and this reflects the vast majority of the role-play in the country in recent years. Adopting this only means that Yingdala is a case of the second kind, it does not mean that Vanuku (and Kafuristan, Solentia etc.) cannot be cases of the first kind.

Perhaps a related task, once we've reached a consensus here, would be to agree on native forms of all the names too?
jamescfm

Postby mrcricketer » Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 am

Request to rename country & regions

Rename country Talmori ka Olominira (Talmoria) to Asli Sultanate

Rename Regions

Regions

Hawaso -> North Asliistan
Mansako -> South Alistan

Regards
Kplorm Boateng
Head of National Committee
Nationalist Party
mrcricketer

Postby mrcricketer » Thu May 07, 2020 8:53 am

Purpose of changing regions names to change regions names to back to what to its orginal name according to map of Talmoria.
mrcricketer

Postby Auditorii » Thu May 07, 2020 2:40 pm

This isn't the proper thread for this.

You can request a rename here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4361
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Locke1342 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:12 pm

I have just started in Hawu Mumenhes/Ikradon and though I don't profess to be an expert but from the reading I've done I would suggest that right now Hawu Mumenhes is taken.

The name Hawu Mumenhes stems from the time where the country converted to Arkhē (Ancient Egyptian polytheism). In particular Hawu Mumenhes follows the religion Arkhē Mumenhes which I suppose is PT's version of Atenism. This was a result of a personal union uniting the monarchies of Cobura and Ibutho (as it was called at the time) whereupon it was RP'ed that Arkhē became the dominant religion, effectively displacing the IG Zulu religion before that. The name Mumenhes literally refers to the IG version of Ra and so given that the last (albeit unofficial) Cultural Protocol http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=523610 said it was the plurality religion within the country I would suggest that Hawu Mumenhes is confirmed as the "main" name. In other words whilst the name was suddenly changed, the culture was as well through this RP: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=475184

Furthermore, I would argue that a non-ethnically based name for the nation might be quite handy for such a diverse country. Both Ikradon and Ibutho have particular focuses on ethnicity (Coburan Coptic / Ibutho Zulu respectively). Hawu Mumenhes provides a more neutral, wider-reaching name, in my opinion, which makes it more suitable for "main" name.

Again, I am not an expert, but just as Deltaria Nova has RP precedent so does, I would argue, Hawu Mumenhes.
Image Noumonde
Locke1342

Postby Auditorii » Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 pm

I think Ikradon is far more appropriate as well as having significant both in-game and pre-game history.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 pm

The Hawu/Ikradon discussion is an incredibly fraught one, that I want to avoid into here really. The name "Hawu Mumenhes" does have role-play precedence but the precedence is based on ignoring almost all of the previous role-play in the country, it represents essentially the invention of a new country in the place where Ikradon used to be. For that reason and the fact that Ikradon has a longer period of usage overall, I am choosing to adopt the latter for now.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm

I have updated the Manual of Style on the Particracy Wiki to reflect the list here. If any players wish to suggest changes or provide feedback to the list then feel free to continue to use this thread to do so.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:08 pm

For the purpose of naming pages and categories on the Particracy Wiki, I am providing an updated list of the common English names of each country in the game below.

As I tried to make clear when originally compiling this list, this is not a prescriptive exercise. The purpose is to provide guidance for the Particracy Wiki, especially the naming of category pages. The goal is to avoid duplicate categories. For example, it is better to have a single category called "Political parties in Kizenia and New Endralon" than have multiple categories such as "Political parties in Kizenia" and "Political parties in New Endralon".

Compared with the original version of this list, I have added the forum-based countries. Aside from that, two changes have been made. "Davostan" has been changed to "Davostag" and "Jelbania" has been changed to "Jelbe". In both cases, the change discussed with the players in each country (Augustus Germanus and Zanz respectively) as well as Auditorii.

Please respond in this thread, if you have any queries or if you think that the name of a country should be changed.
Aldegar
Alduria
Aloria
Badara
Baltusia
Barmenistan
Bazgaristan
Beiteynu
Beluzia
Bianjie
Cildania
Cobura