Quality RP or plagiarism?

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Quality RP or plagiarism?

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Auditorii wrote:As always we appreciate the comments and concerns, Vesica and I are discussing our own positions internally. As I stated, I've never been supportive of it and I know people have done it and continue to do it. We've never had a position or policy on it but I think it might be best to form one.

I can state that we have no intention of abolishing the rankings in any matter.

I'm seriously not deliberately trying to be difficult here, but if the rankings are maintained in their current form, then I am honestly simply going to ignore them in the case of certain countries.

Auditorii wrote:This is something Vesica and I came up with. Any ideas or additions?

Roleplay posts (notably newspaper posts) must contain a majority of original content. The total plagiarization of real world articles, texts with Particracy-relevant material added in roleplay posts is prohibited.

Requiring only that posts contain a "majority of original content" would not be nearly enough to resolve this issue.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1977&start=690#p157483
https://www.politico.eu/article/japans- ... g-problem/

Some plagiarism in the the Valruzia newspaper, BTW...
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=59&start=1060#p154093
https://www.herald.co.zw/6bn-industrial ... -zim-ties/

viewtopic.php?p=156916#p156916
https://www.nature.com/articles/d42473-018-00023-1

Evidence of some plagiarism in Kazulia here. Permanent member of the Security Council, one of the "Great Powers"...

I think it's time to admit this community has a problem.
Aquinas

Postby ChengherRares1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:18 pm

I stand against plagiarism as well, never involved myself with such thing.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:40 pm

My two cents on the proposed rule: I don’t think stating a majority of the post avoiding plagiarism resolves the issue. If anything, it could exacerbate it, as it effectively endorses plagiarism. For instance, I could copy two 5 sentence paragraphs with an equal number of characters or words (say 250) while complying with the rule so long as I write two 5 sentence paragraphs with 251 characters or words.

Personally, I think it should be outright banned. Inspiration is fine. We all do it, but plagiarism is wrong. It is unethical, intellectually dishonest, and may have legal implications.

Quite frankly, I don’t understand why such an action would be unacceptable.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Pragma » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:50 pm

I have never used plagiarism in the content of my articles, but I do understand why one might just to get something on the forum on those slow days. The vast, vast, vast majority of the time, Luis is an excellent and fully original RPer. As are Maxington and Maisonette, so I definitely don't want to in any way beat up on them.

I do think the system needs a change. I must agree with banning plagiarised content fully, with one exception: quotes. It is sometimes difficult to come up with a new voice for a character, so I understand why you might plagiarise a quote to get across a particular personality distant from your own, as it's a hard thing to do. If you were to quote a sentence from say, Shinzo Abe, because you want to have a character with his tour-de-force personalité, that is sensible. Plagiarising entire articles I think is unfair to those of us who write every single word in our own way, for better (in Liu's case) or worse (in my case haha ;) ).
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby Auditorii » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 pm

As we stated, the rankings aren't going to be abolished. Thats a simple fact. Regardless if you "ignore" them or not, they stand and will be enforced as such. I can appreciate you might have an issue with them but that doesnt mean that they are somehow ineffective.

And for the record, no one is defending anything here so let's not try to paint broad strokes about anyone, especially Moderation. Were trying to ensure that we dont prohibit something unintentionally that might be considered essential for equivalency matters.

1. Roleplay posts, articles, and associated matters must be original content. Plagiarization of any form or kind is banned.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm

The proposed rule addresses the issue. Thank you, Farsun and Vesica, for your constructiveness.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Reddy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm

I also prefer the second and stricter draft rule.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby ChengherRares1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 pm

I back Reddy on this. What is fair is fair, from the get go.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby Rogue » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:05 pm

I support the addition of this total ban on plagiarism. Thanks for the quick work
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

PreviousNext

Return to General