Oceanic islands standardisation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Oceanic islands standardisation

Postby Pragma » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 pm

I was wondering what everyone's thought were on standardising the small reefs and atolls around Terra. Not the coastal islands that area already used by players, or the islands on the game map. The islands in the middle of the oceans. Currently there doesn't seem to be a standard list of islands like this that I can find and that is used in the game. I think adding islands like this would be a very interesting way to spice up RP, and also add to the realism of the world.

We do have small island nations like Keymon and Dalibor in the far-east, forum-based nations. However these are more like Cyrpus or Sri Lanka type nations, rather than the islands chains of say the Bahamas or Micronesia.

I would suggest a three-part plan for adding oceanic islands into the game: decide where would be realistic/beneficial to have them; decide on the detail of the specific details of each island group (or even singular island); decide who they belong too (if anybody). We should decide this in a community based way, to my mind, and after some research into what kind of environments these islands happen in geographically from a realism point of view.

I wanted to get everybody's thoughts on the matter. I for one am eager to get involved in the plan if approved. I think it's good for RP and realism.
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Re: Oceanic islands standardisation

Postby Maxington » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:06 pm

QV73 wrote:I was wondering what everyone's thought were on standardising the small reefs and atolls around Terra. Not the coastal islands that area already used by players, or the islands on the game map. The islands in the middle of the oceans. Currently there doesn't seem to be a standard list of islands like this that I can find and that is used in the game. I think adding islands like this would be a very interesting way to spice up RP, and also add to the realism of the world.

We do have small island nations like Keymon and Dalibor in the far-east, forum-based nations. However these are more like Cyrpus or Sri Lanka type nations, rather than the islands chains of say the Bahamas or Micronesia.

I would suggest a three-part plan for adding oceanic islands into the game: decide where would be realistic/beneficial to have them; decide on the detail of the specific details of each island group (or even singular island); decide who they belong too (if anybody). We should decide this in a community based way, to my mind, and after some research into what kind of environments these islands happen in geographically from a realism point of view.

I wanted to get everybody's thoughts on the matter. I for one am eager to get involved in the plan if approved. I think it's good for RP and realism.

I can dig this. I think it could cement the RP done by previous roleplayers who have roleplayed small islets in the Northern Hemisphere to accompany the Fjord-like geography which their nations have. I know that someone has roleplayed Fjords islets for Dankuk and Kazulia.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Rogue » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am

QV73 wrote:I was wondering what everyone's thought were on standardising the small reefs and atolls around Terra. Not the coastal islands that area already used by players, or the islands on the game map. The islands in the middle of the oceans. Currently there doesn't seem to be a standard list of islands like this that I can find and that is used in the game. I think adding islands like this would be a very interesting way to spice up RP, and also add to the realism of the world.

I totally agree this is a very good idea. Such a plan would bring more to the table of particracy and allow both Great Powers, Regional Powers and smaller powers to do very interesting stuff. If this plan is approved, which i hope it will be, i will be fully cooperative if need be
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 pm

For initiatives like this, I think it is probably better that players take the lead and Moderation can then consider formally enforcing the proposal once it has been developed. With that in mind, I encourage you guys to work out something that you think would be appropriate.
jamescfm

Postby John Cracker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:08 am

I like this idea.
Interested in not responding to ridiculous accusations, namely from Jakania, and Lourania, and now Valruzia
John Cracker

Postby jamescfm » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:30 am

I think at one point someone (Pragma I believe) drew up a preliminary map for this proposal with some suggestions about where island chains might sit within the world map. Does anyone have that and we can use it as a starting point for fleshing this idea out a bit?
jamescfm

Postby Pragma » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:43 pm

this is the shitty map I made with the four areas I was most interested in circled in red. beyond just those regions, fleshing out the existing island chains would seem sensible to me

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby jamescfm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Okay, I have created an updated version of the map that features the same four areas and the area that we identified in the server the other day as a good place for islands (around Gaduridos). I have suggested a further three locations that we might consider too and marked these with an asterisk.

If we are reasonably happy to say that most of these locations would be suitable for islands of some kind then we should perhaps move to discuss what type of islands would be suitable at each location. In each case I would suggest that we take as a reference point real-life islands and islands chains that we can base the fictional locations on. For example the location marked C on the map might be a good place for some islands based on somewhere in Oceania given the proximity to Tropica (which has many surrounding islands of its own).
jamescfm

Postby Pragma » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:37 pm

so, to break it down by number, here is what I'm thinking:

A - sparsely populated, rocky islands. a bit like the Faroe Islands? heavy focus on fishing and such. largely owned by Keymon
B - moderate climate, moderate population. split several ways
C - tropical, oceania-inspired. coral reefs and maybe some volcanoes. split control between Temania and Vascania, maybe small claims by other nations
D - right over an oil area. maybe somewhat like the seychelles in climate? very low population, split between Istapali and Vascania.
E - jelbies won't want the islands, so maybe Vascania again. a bit like the maldives perhaps? congruent with that big Kayal Island right off Vascania's eastern coast. resorty, tropical vibe
F - colder climate, relatively similar to the islands of the baltic in nature. maybe dorvish and kirlawan?
G - warm and maybe with a decent population. similar to maybe the balearic isles? split several ways
H - cold islands a bit like the falklands. small, pastoral-based population. probably largely snapped up by Kanjor.

i'm sure you can add on any previously discussed attributes to those areas but that's the vibe I'm getting

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Return to General