The Border Project

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

The Border Project

Postby Rogue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:14 am

Hi guys!

In recent weeks i have been involved in several project for both school and work which involved researching and understanding border disputes accross the globe. This made me think about PT and Terra. I think it would be really interesting if a variety of border disputes were created particularly in the Third World but also in the playable nations.

This way a variety of cool RP stories can be created too. Ofcourse its better if this would happen dynamically but unfortunately that has happened on only a few occasions. Most recent one i can think of is the current Liore occupation of the borderlands with Mina. Anyways what do you guys think of this? Do you have suggestions as to what disputes can be created? Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Re: The Border Project

Postby jamescfm » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:25 pm

I think this is a great idea and to help in keeping track of whatever players come up with, I have created a wiki page for it. At the moment I have only added a couple of examples that I happen to be familiar with but others can add more as we go along. Given that in the real world many territorial disputes (though you may not necessarily consider these "border" disputes as such) involve small islands or chains of islands, it might be worth revisiting Pragma's proposal to create some oceanic islands.
jamescfm

Postby ChitinKal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:16 am

I like the idea too, and I think we should get more players on board to set up a list of disputes (though tbh I don't think it should be too long of a list). For Liore Mr. God already brought up the example of their occupation of Minese state on the other side of the border, and besides that we do have a pretty generous conception of our borders and territories, as the party kinda unofficially considers Liore to be a claimant to all lands with a majority or plurality Kitembo population.

I agree that we should return to the possibility of adding new oceanic islands and archipelagos in part for just this purpose of creating new land disputes. But while we're on the ocean, I think we should extend these disputes to waters as well, creating the possibility for scenarios similar to the PRC's claiming of the South China Sea, or (for an in game example) Kalistan's infamous claim to the Ananto Straights.

Though ultimately these disputes can occur organically, keeping track of them could allow for them to not simply forgotten in the future when the RPer behind them leaves the nation.
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Postby Polites » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:07 am

This is a great idea, and I think we should create more international disputes so we can add them to the page :D
Polites

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:12 pm

I support this
NuclearGandhi69

Postby Rogue » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:22 am

I want to pick this back up. For anyone that has interest in it. Please provide me with interesting disputes we can add to the list
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby Drax » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Think this is great idea.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby Reddy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:51 pm

I like this idea. I highly suspect that Utembo and Bianjie don't even have a formal border or indeed recognise each other. There was a lengthy war between the two once. Utembo's culture's changed so maybe that old dynamic has gone the same way.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby jamescfm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I agree that Bianjie and Utembo would be a good starting point and I would suggest that the "Third World" countries might provide some relatively straightforward ideas for border conflicts. In particular there are a number of countries that were formerly under the rule of single colonial power (like the former colonies of Hulstria and Gao-Soto in eastern Dovani) that might have generated some disputes over where postcolonial borders should be drawn.
jamescfm

Postby DueWizard70 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 pm

I would like to add another dispute. Kundrati claiming Nuchtmark. I started some RP on this, but the person in Kirlawa at the time ignored me, and now Kirlawa is empty.
You guys tell me what you think.
People's Front Kundrati -ACTIVE (4731-4889, 5142-)
Institutional Reform Party Baltusia-INACTIVE (4889-4896)
Demokratische Hosianer von Dorvik Dorvik-INACTIVE (4908-4918)
Third World Controler of Utembo(4851-4953)
DueWizard70

Next

Return to General