Role-play planning: Rapa Pile conflict

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Role-play planning: Rapa Pile conflict

Postby jamescfm » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:31 am

Mr.God, Pragma and I have been sketching out the details of a proposed military conflict between Deltaria and Vascania that would centre on Rapa Pile. For a long time now both countries have been attempting to position themselves as regional hegemons and engaged in a kind of small cold war for influence throughout Majatra and Dovani, we feel that this would be a good "coda" to this long-term tension.

A brief outline of our plans at this stage:
  • The two countries continue to engage in tit-for-tat disputes over issues like military bases, alliances etc.
  • Vascania attempts to incorporate Rapa Pile and gain tighter control of the waters to the north of the continent
  • Deltaria recognises this as both a threat to the independence of a sovereign government as well as damaging to their international interests
  • Deltaria offers some kind of guarantee but Vascania pushes ahead, conflict breaks out
  • With some difficulty Deltaria is able to win naval and air superiority but at great cost to the country's economy and military
  • For geographic and political reasons, it becomes clear that Deltaria will not be able to take full control of the islands in a feasible timescale
  • Internal problems force the two governments to reach a mutually disappointing settlement that results in Rapa Pile regaining full independence
Feel free to share your thoughts at this stage and if you foresee a role for your country anywhere in this outline. The provisional timescale is that the conflict should begin sometime in the next Deltarian legislative term (which begins around 23 December).
jamescfm

Re: Role-play planning: Rapa Pile conflict

Postby robmark0000 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 am

Oh, I guess it is a fun Endralon shall never miss.

First things first, considering that Rapa Pile's GDP was owned 32% by the 3M not long ago, I would guess the Endralonian economic influence is still strong there, however obviously not that strong anymore. As I mentioned, 3M is undesirable role-play for me, so I guess we could divide this economic influence into smaller corporations in the islands. So Endralonian interests would be definitely affected by this role-play.

Also considering that Endralon has a mutual defense agreement with Vascania, but at the moment ratificate a non-aggression treaty with Deltaria, I guess - as I spoke with James, Endralon shall be the WW2 Spain of this conflict, on the diplomatic side of Vascania - the Directorial Republic shall diplomatically condemn Deltaria (not in the World Congress, god save us) and support Vascania, send financial aid to Vascania in need of time, but do not send military troops (maybe some PMCs, I love to RP them) for actively fight Deltaria, and do not sanction economically the Federation.

I guess thats all I could provide, hope they will be well-received. :)

Thank you for the opportunity.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby Luis1p » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:07 am

As mentioned on the official discord. I would be interested to host the peace conference in Lourenne. Seeing as Lourenne doesn't have any bad relations with either country, nor is it aligned to either one, it would make sense to have the peace agreements take place in Lourenne, a Dovanian nation.

The peace would take place in Avienne-les-Baines, a secluded mountain resort that has been used for peace conferences in the past.
Luis1p

Postby Drax » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Have done very little of this type activity so this is just an impression of little weight.

This looks interesting but....

Looks like fun to plan and execute.

Really seems counterproductive for Deltaria. Repairing its reputation and now jumping in again. Initially with Zardugal ansd Malivia looked like surprise attacks produced manifest good. Then stale mate with Vascania shows limits of power. Then a whole lot of disapproval for Kundrati fiasco shows Deltaria is a threat to just about everybody. There is an on the other hand and I may well have missed it. If Deltaria has some sort of pre existing obligation to the one invaded.

Looks like plus for Vascania in effect coming off equal with Deltaria.

Trigunia really likely to continue lying low(hovering in Mirkwood) rather than attracting hostile attention.

Badara is not an interventionist if diplomacy possible but if WC authorized action would follow Deltaria into it with its somewhat less than humongous military presence. And WC should respond to naked aggression based on because we can.
Last edited by Drax on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby Polites » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Seems like a perfect opportunity for Selucia to come more fully into Deltarian influence and shed whatever residual Vascanian influence might exist on account of religious interests. Selucia will most likely not participate directly, but we'll probably uselessly protest in the WC for a while.
Polites

Postby Independent P » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Dose Cildania have a role in this?
Independent P

Postby ChitinKal » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 pm

Liore probably wouldn't get involved given our good relations with both Deltaria and Vascania (unless one of them screws around beforehand), and we'll instead just kick back and watch the two main regional competitors destroy each other. But while the conflict's going on, we'll set out our fleet to defend important shipping lanes and try to keep the effects on regional commerce to a minimum. Liore might also try to use this as an opportunity to assert itself as the main power in the region, snatching up economic and political partnerships with neighboring countries that come to be affected by Deltaria and (particularly) Vascania dedicating themselves to the conflict.
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Postby jamescfm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:17 am

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I'm glad that there is some interest in this idea. Having spoken with both Mr.God and Pragma, I think we are planning on the primary conflict taking place sometime after Christmas (so roughly between 26 December and 1 January). For that reason we expect to have all the necessary parts in place by that time.

Though I did not mention this explicitly in my original post, we had not planned to have any other country involved directly in the military operations. Medina may play a minor role in that it will have a newly constructed Deltarian naval base by the time the conflict breaks out. Both major powers have extensive in-game and role-play treaties with other military powers however it's pretty clear that even the closest allies would not feel compelled to become engaged in this conflict since it does not involve any kind of direct intrusion into the territory of either country.

The main role of other countries would be in the diplomatic sphere. On both sides there are reasonable arguments that sympathetic countries might employ. Vascania will be holding a plebiscite prior to the incorporation (I believe) and they have a long recent history of democracy, so they are reasonably justified in their claim that an international mission is superfluous.

On the other hand of course, the government seems to have intended to move ahead with this policy regardless of the result. For that reason it should be clear that there won't be an obvious or overwhelming consensus in Rapa Pile for incorporation. I imagine that any interest in the prospect will diminish as the country becomes a war zone. As mentioned it is our mutually agreed intention that the country should regain full independence in the aftermath of this conflict.

At this stage, I am not clear exactly how long the primary conflict will last. Based on the timeline mentioned above though, it is reasonable to conclude that the conflict will be ongoing when the new World Congress sessions begins at the start of the day on 31 December. Whoever is elected to that session may want to consider how they will respond to the situation. Frankly the World Congress would be pretty powerless to stop such a conflict even if the political will existed. However there may be a role for the World Congress in organising a peace conference (in Lourenne) and overseeing the transition of Rapa Pile from its (complex) relationship with Vascania to full independence.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:23 pm

The main stages of this conflict have concluded with the agreements reached between Deltaria and Vascania now approved. Thanks to everybody who took part or engaged with the conflict in some manner, I think it was a well-organised role-play event (if I do say so myself). Particular credit to Pragma and Mr.God of course, who produced the substantive military posts for the conflict.

Hopefully moving forward we can engage with the legacy of this conflict in role-play: a new political system in Deltaria, a bruised World Congress, an independent Rapa Pile, and two struggling world powers. In addition I hope that it might serve as an example of how conflict role-play can be managed (even between two near-superpowers) without giving way to out-of-character arguments or power gaming. Thanks again, everyone!
jamescfm

Return to General