Space

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Space

Postby robmark0000 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm

jamescfm wrote:Though I don't necessarily have a problem with adopting the Selucian-based names, it would be worth noting that it is far from clear how these terms would have come to predominate in the game compared with real-life. In comparison to the real world, the in-game history is far more multicentric (for want of a better term). Assuming here that we are talking about the Luthorian equivalents, it isn't obvious why Luthorians would have used the Selucian terms given they were never under the rule of the Selucian Empire or in close contact with them.

The answer is Anluanism, of course. As we RPed with DueWizard, this is the religion what the Enetric peoples (the ancestors of the Selucians) worshipped in Northeast-Artania, and what was present since 2nd millenary BCE. After the Hosianization of Artania, of course this religion go instinct, but just like the antique Roman and Greek cultures, it survived somehow.
Information: Player Profile here, Musical Profile here, Political Compass here.
World Congress Coordinator

"Only the Young can run. So run, and run, and run!" ~ Taylor Swift
robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby Reddy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Based on a search of the forum, Zanz seems to have referred to a character whose surname was "Eupator" as "Mr. Planet Name". I would guess this is where you got that idea from Reddy although it doesn't really answer the question of whether it was an established planet name, I suppose we'll have to try and get that from the man himself.

Yes that was it. How could I ever forget the Jelbek Bank of the World tsk tsk
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:39 pm

robmark0000 wrote:The answer is Anluanism, of course. As we RPed with DueWizard, this is the religion what the Enetric peoples (the ancestors of the Selucians) worshipped in Northeast-Artania, and what was present since 2nd millenary BCE. After the Hosianization of Artania, of course this religion go instinct, but just like the antique Roman and Greek cultures, it survived somehow.

Possibly that would be an alternative explanation however I am still not convinced that they would have had any real influence on the culture of Luthori given they barely seem to have had an influence on the countries where they primarily reside. As I said, I think departing from the real-life names would be an interesting idea (it would allow us to name some other pagan deities too) but won't override other players feeling if the consensus is against it.
jamescfm

Postby robmark0000 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm

jamescfm wrote:Possibly that would be an alternative explanation however I am still not convinced that they would have had any real influence on the culture of Luthori given they barely seem to have had an influence on the countries where they primarily reside. As I said, I think departing from the real-life names would be an interesting idea (it would allow us to name some other pagan deities too) but won't override other players feeling if the consensus is against it.

Why are you so sure Luthori discovered the planets?

robmark0000

Location: Hungary / Magyarország (my liberal soul is in prison here, big big sadness)

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 pm

robmark0000 wrote:Why are you so sure Luthori discovered the planets?

Luthori would not have "discovered the planets" but we are discussing what the in-game equivalents for the names for the planets should be in Luthorian. For example, it is highly unlikely that whatever we decide they are called is going to be the term that is used in Aldegar, Yingdala or Vascania. Each of those countries will have (to some degree) independently observed and named the naked-eye planets.

In the real world, the names of these planets in English are based on their Roman names because of the influence of the Roman Empire. In the world of the game, the Selucian Empire (as far as I know) had no territory in Artania and its influence on Luthori would have been significantly reduced as a result. For this reason, I think it's probable that the predecessors to modern Luthorians (i.e. Dundorfic peoples) would not have used the Selucian names, instead maintaining their own names.
jamescfm

Postby robmark0000 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 pm

jamescfm wrote:Luthori would not have "discovered the planets" but we are discussing what the in-game equivalents for the names for the planets should be in Luthorian. For example, it is highly unlikely that whatever we decide they are called is going to be the term that is used in Aldegar, Yingdala or Vascania. Each of those countries will have (to some degree) independently observed and named the naked-eye planets.

In the real world, the names of these planets in English are based on their Roman names because of the influence of the Roman Empire. In the world of the game, the Selucian Empire (as far as I know) had no territory in Artania and its influence on Luthori would have been significantly reduced as a result. For this reason, I think it's probable that the predecessors to modern Luthorians (i.e. Dundorfic peoples) would not have used the Selucian names, instead maintaining their own names.

They actually could be under Selucian influence, or even Enetric/Syldavian/Zergonese/Hugalonese influence, take just for example Farsun's essay "The Meren Imperium, the Empire of Three and the Seluco-Dunic Empire: A Study of Ancient Artania". I think we couldn't have a proper answer to this until a canon will be created before 2000, so I would just propose to work with the Selucian/Anluanist names.

robmark0000

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:06 pm

I don't think we need a canon history for the game, we have managed to develop in-game equivalents for a whole host of real-life terms without such a history. I think clearly you and I have different preferences on how the planets are named, we may as well leave it to other players to express an opinion and derive a consensus from that.
jamescfm

Previous

Return to General