Community Feedback: Hobaism

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Community Feedback: Hobaism

Postby jellybean » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Hello all,

I've been wanting to revise Hobaism, Hobrazia's fictional religion that accounts for 80% of the population in our cultural protocol. Moderation suggested that before I do so, I create a thread for any community feedback in case someone has a problem with these plans. I think that's a good idea as Hobaism has been in the game for quite some time and has historically spread to other nations like Narikaton & Darnussia, although I don't believe any other nation currently claims a Hobaist population.

Anyway, to move on to my problems with Hobaism:
  • The bulk of the religion was created in 2007 and has not been updated since then.
  • Hobaist's lore includes real-world references like Alan B'Stard and silly references like having a prophet named Keith (no last name).
  • Hobaism has a lot of pretty generic qualities that frankly don't add much to the Hobrazian national character.

All that said, I don't have a problem with a little bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude, so I don't want to abolish Hobaism completely. My plans for the religion include:

• Revising Hobrazia's cultural protocol to bring the Hobaist population down to about 50-60%. This can be justified in-character as the government has been pro-Hosian for a few decades now.
  • Eliminating real-world references and some of the more outlandish aspects.
  • Making the in-game sport of Hastall a Hobrazian sport only historically related to Hobaism.
  • Fleshing out Hobaism to have a more developed spiritual system.
  • Adding a connection to Geraja (Hinduism) and having a somewhat large fraction of Hobaists consider themselves at least partially Gerajan. This fits nicely with the ongoing Malivian roleplay, and makes sense since Malivia is Hobrazia's southern neighbor.

Following community feedback (or the lack thereof), I plan to revise the Hobaism wiki page and submit a revised cultural protocol. Any thoughts?
jellybean

Re: Community Feedback: Hobaism

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm

As far as I am aware, the wiki page is the only source of information on Hobaism. For that reason it is worth noting that I began entirely rewriting that page during my time in Hobrazia for the reasons that you have described here. Previously the page appeared to employ Celtic terms and ideas and I didn't think that made much sense. If you do intend to rewrite it then it might be worth taking a look at the version of the page prior to my edits when doing so (since maybe you will want to keep aspects I removed, or just for reference purposes).

As I expressed to you in the server, when I played in Hobrazia briefly last year I reduced the Hobaist population as far as possible under the rules. Personally I believe it should be a "sizeable minority" because I think the Hobrazian Orthodox Church needs to be the majority religion of the Hobrazians in order for its role as a "national church" to make proper sense. For this reason, I'd advocate reducing the Hobaist population down as far as perhaps thirty per cent.

When making the changes I tried to find a reference point for Hobaism but unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything on what the pre-Christian religious background of Georgia was like, the closest thing that I could find was this neopagan religion in Armenia. I don't have a problem with having primarily invented religions in the game but without a clear real-life equivalent, it would be ideal to have some clear outline of what the religion is. Either way, I am eager to see what you come up with!
jamescfm

Postby Wu Han » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm

"Keith" lmaoooo
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby jellybean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Wu Han wrote:"Keith" lmaoooo

Maybe we can just add in a last name - Keith Ellamayo. :D