The Dovani Borders Can Be Improved

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

The Dovani Borders Can Be Improved

Postby Pragma » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 pm

To my mind, the borders are several Dovani countries are peculiar, impractical and downright aesthetically foul. I think we should seriously consider changes to the borders of several countries. They can be reformed in a way that is minimally disruptive, creates opportunities for good RP and creates a better-looking and more realistic continent. The awkward borders are more than just ugly, they hamper RP and create unrealistic scenarios. Historically, for nations to have such incredibly awkward borders requires a series of peculiar circumstances. Are we really saying that half of Dovani has had those very, very rare circumstances? Is that really necessary?

I propose changing the borders in the following ways. I am willing to accept any of the changes being discussed or only a select few of them being implemented.

1. Change the Utari Mosri-North Dovani border. This shifts Utari Mosir to the west to be closer to other Kunihito-influences cultures, while giving North Dovani access to the sea at the heart of Dovani. This allows for better trade in the continent and less ugly borders.

2. Move around Mina, Liore & Istapali. It is not a secret that I think Istapali is the ugliest country in the game, and its intensely awkward maritime border is impractical and only adds to the silliness. I think it should concede its lower regions to an enlarged Liore and take a small strip of Mina as compensation. The borders of Mina can be changed to give it greater geographic focus and prevent the unnecessary "Chilean" effect that it shares with Utari Mosir and New Englia. I think this game does not need three Chilean-shaped countries. This change creates a lot of fascinating RP opportunities and allows Liore to grow in a way consistent with its political power growing over time.

3. Bianjie can be shifted up slightly, making Utembo and Statrica less gangly in the process. Governing a country shaped like Statrica provides a set of impracticalities that are simply unnecessary and better explored elsewhere. I will not pretend that aesthetics do not again come into the debate. Utembo can also have its borders shifted to make it more compact and realistic.

My concept:
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Re: The Dovani Borders Can Be Improved

Postby Zanz » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 pm

Support.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Edmund » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 pm

Support.
Edmund

Postby jamescfm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:41 am

In broad terms, I would be comfortable supporting some changes to the borders of the forum-based countries although I don't necessarily support all the changes proposed here. For example, I don't think North Dovani and Utari Mosir need to change and actually I like the shape of Utari Mosir. In terms of this as a project, I think the best way to approach this would be to support individual changes to the borders with role-play justification.

Istapali seems to be a pretty easy place to start. I think it would be worth discussing an armed conflict between Liore and Istapali that results in the former country acquiring parts of Istapali's southern regions. For role-play reasons, this could be justified on the grounds that the populations of these regions form a Kitembo (Swahili) minority within Istapali.
jamescfm

Postby jellybean » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:12 am

I have no particular feelings on most of these suggestions, but I absolutely agree that it would be nice to revise Istapali's borders if there is an RP-friendly way to do so. Istapali's present borders are, to put it lightly, not ideal. As others have pointed out, a Liore-Istapali war could easily provide justification for redrawing the borders.
jellybean

Postby ChitinKal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Having played in Liore and Eastern Dovani for nearly a year now, I feel I could best put my opinion on that region. As James said here and on the Discord, Liore has long unofficially claimed all Kitembo-majority lands as its rightful territory or sphere, though in recent years this has taken a form more akin to leader of Kitembo peoples and states than a prospective Kitembo ethno-state. Istapali currently lists Kitembo as one of its majority ethnic groups, so I could easily see a shift in borders (perhaps through armed conflict as others have suggested) as realistic, and I'd support as such. To comment on the proposed border changes between Mina and Liore, if there is an official change, I'd like to see it be more reflective of Liore's occupation of the Nefa region, which would mean changing this suggestion to give Liore more on the western edge of the border and less in the east. Shooting off ideas, perhaps we could see a two or three way war between Liore, Istapali, and Mina to justify any changes in that region.

As for the other proposed changes, I'd like to hear input from players who both currently and historically have played in those countries (especially in Statrica, Bianjie, and Utembo). While I agree that border's like Statrica are insulting to the eye, border changes would need to be in line with RP and background and not done solely for the purpose of cleaning up ugly borders, though I guess those sorts of changes could be justified by in game imperialists searching for new land.

As tl;dr, I would be supportive of border changes if we implement them reasonably, with RP justification, and through RP.
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Return to General