Malivia and its RP

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Malivia and its RP

Postby Drax » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 pm

The only thing I want to address is that I appreciate very much the ability of Aquinas to create the feeing he is really portraying another culture.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby colonelvesica » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 am

Aquinas wrote:I am grateful for, and personally touched, by the support I have received from players, both privately and on this thread.

For the reasons explained in my previous post, I am serving under a nation ban in all but name in Malivia at the moment, due to the situation Vesica, as a Moderator, has created.

In order to move forwards, I propose Moderation give me an assurance they see nothing in my RP in Malivia which they would wish to move against, and that in terms of how they enforce the rules, they see no reason why I should hesitate to rejoin there.

A personal apology from Vesica, and an acknowledgement of the difficulties he has caused for me personally and also some others who were involved in Malivia's RP, would be appreciated.

You under no such nation ban, real or otherwise. You are free to return to Malivia or any other nation in Particracy as is your freedom as a player.

I completed an actual investigation of your Role Play in Malivia four days ago, assuming this request or question was going to pop up. Under a purely impartial view, without any my own personal bias entering into it, your Role Play is fine. It doesn't break any official rules or community guidelines. If it did, I'm sure someone would have lodged an official compliant about it.

So answering one of your question directly, with a straight answer; there are no Rules within the Confines of the Game Rules you have breached with your Role Play that would get your Role Play reversed, retconned or overturned, and get yourself banned. I see quite literally, no reason for you not to rejoin any nation within the game.

I will state, for the record Aquinas, I do not believe you to be a RL OOC racist in any way shape or form. As has been noted, several players have played racial stereotypes before, and nothing has happened to them. We have allowed actual genocidal apartheid fascists to exist in this game, without anything being moved against them, because we do not believe that the player themselves holds those Real World views.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Aquinas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:32 am

colonelvesica wrote:
Aquinas wrote:I am grateful for, and personally touched, by the support I have received from players, both privately and on this thread.

For the reasons explained in my previous post, I am serving under a nation ban in all but name in Malivia at the moment, due to the situation Vesica, as a Moderator, has created.

In order to move forwards, I propose Moderation give me an assurance they see nothing in my RP in Malivia which they would wish to move against, and that in terms of how they enforce the rules, they see no reason why I should hesitate to rejoin there.

A personal apology from Vesica, and an acknowledgement of the difficulties he has caused for me personally and also some others who were involved in Malivia's RP, would be appreciated.

You under no such nation ban, real or otherwise. You are free to return to Malivia or any other nation in Particracy as is your freedom as a player.

I completed an actual investigation of your Role Play in Malivia four days ago, assuming this request or question was going to pop up. Under a purely impartial view, without any my own personal bias entering into it, your Role Play is fine. It doesn't break any official rules or community guidelines. If it did, I'm sure someone would have lodged an official compliant about it.

So answering one of your question directly, with a straight answer; there are no Rules within the Confines of the Game Rules you have breached with your Role Play that would get your Role Play reversed, retconned or overturned, and get yourself banned. I see quite literally, no reason for you not to rejoin any nation within the game.

I will state, for the record Aquinas, I do not believe you to be a RL OOC racist in any way shape or form. As has been noted, several players have played racial stereotypes before, and nothing has happened to them. We have allowed actual genocidal apartheid fascists to exist in this game, without anything being moved against them, because we do not believe that the player themselves holds those Real World views.

Well, this is at least a partial step forward, and is sufficient for the time being for me to feel able to return to Malivia. For this, at least, I am grateful.

The lack of an apology, or any acknowledgement of responsibility or any commitment to handle matters differently in the future, is noted, and is disappointing. As previously stated, it is unprecedented for a Moderator to publicly brand a player's RP as "racist" and "offensive", and then publicly drop the hint to other members of the community that if they submit a complaint, the RP will be investigated and might potentially then be banned. I hoped very much to receive a commitment from you that this would not happen again. Clearly that is not happening, and the possibility remains open that future players will have to endure the same experience I just have.

The manner in which you communicated with me on Discord fell below the level of courtesy one would have hoped for from a Moderator, or indeed any member of this community. I hoped you would acknowledge this, and commit to trying to avoid this happening again. Again, clearly this is not happening, and the possibility remains open that future players will have to go through the same experience.

You state that you completed an investigation of my RP in Malivia 4 days ago. For transparency, could you please explain precisely what my RP was being investigated for? What were you looking for, exactly? Are Moderators now seriously in the business of investigating IC RP for alleged "racism"/"offensiveness" etc.? This has never, ever been done before, to my knowledge. Which other players have had their RP "investigated" in the same way mine has been? And why? Is anyone else being "investigated" at the moment, or about to be "investigated"? Are older RP posts (FICTIONAL ROLE PLAY posts, for goodness sake!) safe from being deleted if Moderators decide they are "racist" or "offensive"?

There really are very fundamental and unprecedented issues emerging here about what kind of RPing environment Particracy is going to be going forwards.
Aquinas

Postby colonelvesica » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:20 am

You publicly asked for assurances from the Moderation Team that there would be no potential issues with your Role Play if someone did chose to file a compliant, as a criterion for your return to Malivia. Under those criteria I investigated your Role Play through the lens of the Game Rules for potentional breaches. None were found, completing your request, leading to the assurances you received in my prior post.

Regarding any past, current or potential future investigations, that is not up for open discussion. Neither are the potential sanctions that could arise from those investigations, as is covered and stated under Section 1.3 of the Game Rules.

If any players were to be investigated and sanctioned they would be informed directly by Moderation.

As for the deletion and retcon of older Role Play posts that is covered under Section 6.4 of the Game Rules, which give Moderation sole authority over retcons along with its ultimate determination and discretion to its enforcement. I can state I am unlikely to delete or retcon past Role Play without sufficient reason and justification and will encourage other Moderators, for as long as I remain in my position, to observe the same restraint.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Aquinas » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 pm

colonelvesica wrote:You publicly asked for assurances from the Moderation Team that there would be no potential issues with your Role Play if someone did chose to file a compliant, as a criterion for your return to Malivia. Under those criteria I investigated your Role Play through the lens of the Game Rules for potentional breaches. None were found, completing your request, leading to the assurances you received in my prior post.

Regarding any past, current or potential future investigations, that is not up for open discussion. Neither are the potential sanctions that could arise from those investigations, as is covered and stated under Section 1.3 of the Game Rules.

If any players were to be investigated and sanctioned they would be informed directly by Moderation.

As for the deletion and retcon of older Role Play posts that is covered under Section 6.4 of the Game Rules, which give Moderation sole authority over retcons along with its ultimate determination and discretion to its enforcement. I can state I am unlikely to delete or retcon past Role Play without sufficient reason and justification and will encourage other Moderators, for as long as I remain in my position, to observe the same restraint.

Given you say investigations are "not up for open discussion", I am curious why you previously announced on the public Discord server that you would investigate my RP for being "offensive" and "racist" if anyone submitted a complaint, despite the fact there is not has never been any rule or precedent whatsoever which entitles Moderators to ban RP on those patently disingenuous grounds. Let me remind you again of your words:

Vesica wrote:I have not censured you in any way or nor made any movement directly against your Role Play as I have no received any direct complaints.

Vesica wrote:I have received so official complaints about your Role Play in thr appropriate channel and thread, and until I do so, you are free to continue to tell the stories as you please.

Vesica wrote:...if Chitin or I receive an complaints about players Role Play we will investigate them at that time

Vesica wrote:As long as that Role Play doesn't violate the community guidelines or game rules, I will not intervene. If players have an issue with others Role Play or being offensive or racist, there is a dedicated thread for that for Moderation to investigate
Your Role Play was never logged there

You have now changed your tune, suggesting you will investigate any player you choose for any "offence" you conceive (presumably even if it does not even exist in the rules) and that you will do it without showing any transparency or accountability towards the player community. Please could you explain why you have done this? Are you now shifting your approach, investigating and sanctioning players for allegedly "racist" or "offensive" RP privately instead of publicly, and forbidding them from discussing their experiences and concerns? Are you really sure this is the right approach to take in a small political roleplaying community like this one, where mature discussions about the way the game is run are both inevitable and essential?

Also, I noted in your previous post that you could find no fault with my RP and that you do not find that I am a racist person. Given this, I am curious as to what your thinking was in, as a Moderator, so publicly branding my RP as "racist" and "offensive" in the first place. Is this something you would continue to subject your players to going forward, or have you learned any lessons from this experience?

Similarly, I note you state you concluded your thought police "investigation" in to my RP several days back. Given this, may I enquire why you did not inform me of your conclusion back then, so that you could give me the reassurances I needed to return to Maliva then rather than several days later?

I also remind you, again, of the language you, as a Moderator, publicly used towards me on the official Discord server:

Vesica wrote:...you personally do not enter my thoughts on a daily or even a weekly basis.

Vesica wrote:...you frankly don't rate that high.

Vesica wrote:Needing a smear campaign would imply I rate you high enough on my to do list to have the time or patience for such an endeavor. I don't.

Vesica wrote:There is no organised player base out to get you. That would imply you rate high enough on that many players agendas rather than enjoying the game. I sincerely doubt it.

Vesica wrote:You are not that important to me.

Vesica wrote:...you are, as I have stated repeatedly, not that high on my list.

If you wish to finally apologise for both this and your false allegations of racism, so that we can all put all of this behind us, then I would be more than happy to try to start with you again on a fresh slate, as it were.
Aquinas

Postby colonelvesica » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm

Given you say investigations are "not up for open discussion", I am curious why you previously announced on the public Discord server that you would investigate my RP for being "offensive" and "racist" if anyone submitted a complaint, despite the fact there is not has never been any rule or precedent whatsoever which entitles Moderators to ban RP on those patently disingenuous grounds. Let me remind you again of your words:

Vesica wrote:I have not censured you in any way or nor made any movement directly against your Role Play as I have no received any direct complaints.

Vesica wrote:I have received so official complaints about your Role Play in thr appropriate channel and thread, and until I do so, you are free to continue to tell the stories as you please.

Vesica wrote:...if Chitin or I receive an complaints about players Role Play we will investigate them at that time

Vesica wrote:As long as that Role Play doesn't violate the community guidelines or game rules, I will not intervene. If players have an issue with others Role Play or being offensive or racist, there is a dedicated thread for that for Moderation to investigate
Your Role Play was never logged there

I've highlighted the aspect which matters. We would investigate to ensure there are no community guideline or game rule violations. If there are none, as there were none with your Role Play, I would take exactly zero action against the player in question.

Whether or not I am actively investigating anything, whether I have in the past, or whether I will in future, is the part not open for discussion as is covered under Section 1.3 of the Game Rules.

You have now changed your tune, suggesting you will investigate any player you choose for any "offence" you conceive (presumably even if it does not even exist in the rules) and that you will do it without showing any transparency or accountability towards the player community. Please could you explain why you have done this? Are you now shifting your approach, investigating and sanctioning players for allegedly "racist" or "offensive" RP privately instead of publicly, and forbidding them from discussing their experiences and concerns? Are you really sure this is the right approach to take in a small political roleplaying community like this one, where mature discussions about the way the game is run are both inevitable and essential?

Investigations into player are not open for discussion as is covered under Section 1.3 of the Game Rules which forbids the discussion of sanctions, warning and other actions Moderation may have taken. I am sure when the Game Rules are revised, which has been considered when the Third Moderator was appointed, this particular rule will be the one requested be repealed the most.

Also, I noted in your previous post that you could find no fault with my RP and that you do not find that I am a racist person. Given this, I am curious as to what your thinking was in, as a Moderator, so publicly branding my RP as "racist" and "offensive" in the first place. Is this something you would continue to subject your players to going forward, or have you learned any lessons from this experience?

I have learned not to let my personal bias and feelings enter into a discussion in a moment of mild irritation, which, as has been proven, can have fairly far reaching ramifications.

Similarly, I note you state you concluded your thought police "investigation" in to my RP several days back. Given this, may I enquire why you did not inform me of your conclusion back then, so that you could give me the reassurances I needed to return to Maliva then rather than several days later?

I was exceptionally busy on April the 11th and so I'll fully admit I did not have time to take care of the task, as my assumption was that you were going to want more then a quick Discord message saying "You're fine." You were going to request a public admission by myself that your Role Play was in the clear, to dissuade any thoughts of whether it broke community guidelines or game rules. April 12th, is a day of mourning for me, it is the anniversary that I lost my daughter, and to be frank, I was not in a good state of mind the days prior either.

I also remind you, again, of the language you, as a Moderator, publicly used towards me on the official Discord server:

Vesica wrote:...you personally do not enter my thoughts on a daily or even a weekly basis.

Vesica wrote:...you frankly don't rate that high.

Vesica wrote:Needing a smear campaign would imply I rate you high enough on my to do list to have the time or patience for such an endeavor. I don't.

Vesica wrote:There is no organised player base out to get you. That would imply you rate high enough on that many players agendas rather than enjoying the game. I sincerely doubt it.

Vesica wrote:You are not that important to me.

Vesica wrote:...you are, as I have stated repeatedly, not that high on my list.

If you wish to finally apologise for both this and your false allegations of racism, so that we can all put all of this behind us, then I would be more than happy to try to start with you again on a fresh slate, as it were.

I will apologize for my poor choice of language in dealing with you on the Discord and on the forum. I will repeat my point from early, I do not think you are personally racist and if you felt my comments conveyed that, I apologize.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby NuclearGandhi69 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:31 pm

I was exceptionally busy on April the 11th and so I'll fully admit I did not have time to take care of the task, as my assumption was that you were going to want more then a quick Discord message saying "You're fine." You were going to request a public admission by myself that your Role Play was in the clear, to dissuade any thoughts of whether it broke community guidelines or game rules. April 12th, is a day of mourning for me, it is the anniversary that I lost my daughter, and to be frank, I was not in a good state of mind the days prior either.

Hope u are feeling better now.
NuclearGandhi69

Postby jellybean » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:07 pm

NuclearGandhi69 wrote:Hope u are feeling better now.

Same - I hope you are holding up, Vesica.
jellybean

Postby Reddy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:00 pm

jellybean wrote:

Best wishes Ves. It is always so easy to forget that real life has its heavy demands on other people
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby DueWizard70 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Reddy wrote:
jellybean wrote:

Best wishes Ves. It is always so easy to forget that real life has its heavy demands on other people

Sorry to hear that Vesica. Best wishes to you and your family.
People's Front Kundrati -ACTIVE (4731-4889, 5142-)
Institutional Reform Party Baltusia-INACTIVE (4889-4896)
Demokratische Hosianer von Dorvik Dorvik-INACTIVE (4908-4918)
Third World Controler of Utembo(4851-4953)
DueWizard70

PreviousNext

Return to General