Community Consultation: Natural Resources

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Community Consultation: Natural Resources

Postby colonelvesica » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Hey all,

As we do have a rough idea where we have oil in PT thanks to the at times helpful though somewhat misnamed Oil & Gas Map I'd like to open up community consultations on the topic of natural resources as a whole.

Well I begin narrowly to do this on the Discord, I would ask that all players that wish to offer feedback, on any nation, not necessarily ones that you Role Play in, but ones that you have at least a knowledge, of their natural resources.

I do not expect every nation to be entirely self sufficient; it would be completely unrealistic even suspending the disbelief we normally do for this game, but I am interested to hear where they think certain nations stand in regards to natural resources.

Natural resources can include anything, from plentiful wood/timber, arable farmland, the various non-renewable energy sources such as oil, but also natural gas, coal and uranium, and anything else the community can think of.

I will at some point be attempting to create a map so I can see whether or not the players think we are playing roughly with an Earth with different continents analogue, or a Civ VI mess of overly abundance of everything to, we have next to nothing anymore.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Re: Community Consultation: Natural Resources

Postby Pragma » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 pm

The RP I've done in Vascania largely points to mineral and metal deposits in the centrals regions of the country, farmland in the far north and far south, forest throughout the south-west and very small pockets of uranium here and there. I think we could probably grow a wide array of crops locally at various locations, but we will have to import some food stuffs as well. Presumably we will have more deposits of some metals than others.

I made a map to illustrate my idea for where the key resources are in Vascania:

Blue for uranium,
Light green for good farmland,
Dark green for good woodland,
Grey for minerals and metals.
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby colonelvesica » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:39 pm

In addition to the extremely large deposits of oil you have; do you know if they are inland or off the coast?

Alright thanks, very helpful.

I don't expect everyone to have a map like that, though if you happen to have one laying around, perfect, if not, just everyone list what you can/believe/think.
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Zongxian » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:40 am

For Dankuk, much of the interior is dense forest or mountains. Forestry is a major industry along with all the associated products (paper, pulp, timber, etc).

Due to the cold climate it is not viable to farm in much of the country. Most farms would be in the southern provinces but I don't think specific crops have been identified anywhere in RP or on the wiki. Outside of the south, pastures would be much more common than farms. Fisheries are a huge part of the agricultural sector. Whaling is also common.
Overall, food imports are critical in filling the gaps for all the types of fruits, vegetables, or grains that can't be produced on a large scale in Dankuk.

There is a mining industry, unspecified beyond coal (which is mostly phased out). Nuclear, hydro, and geothermal energy account for most of Dankuk's energy generation. I've discussed with WuHan in the past whether there are uranium deposits in Dankuk but I don't think we ever made any real decision on that. At least some of the uranium is imported for sure.
-----------------------------
I think the list below might be a good start in identifying Dankuk's natural resources. Most of this is just impromptu thinking and looking at some IRL countries of similar climate/geography to Dankuk. The mining resources feel most tricky and I'm hesitant on what to claim we have.

Agriculture: soybeans, potatoes, sugar beets, onions, pumpkins, corn, wheat; dairy products (milk, cheese, cream); cattle, sheep, pigs, chicken, horse
Aquaculture/Fisheries: seaweed, kelp; salmon, whitefish, herring, cod, squid, octopus, tuna, trout, clams, mussels, mackerel, shrimp, whales, etc
Forestry: lumber, paper, pulp (species: pine, spruce, birch)
Mining: iron, nickel, copper, aluminum
Zongxian

Postby jellybean » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:05 am

In Hobrazia, I imagine that Zargundia is mostly arid but resource-rich, while Kiduran and northern Muzalkaz are fairly rocky and have little in the way of natural resources. Southern Muzalkaz, Stormerti, and Deltaria are densely forested and possess arable land.

Agriculture: Wool is a major industry in Kiduran and Muzalkaz. Notable plant crops include grapes, potatoes, wheat, barley, apples, peaches, apricots, and various herbs. While agriculture is important to Hobrazia and a sizable portion of our economy, I imagine it comprises a relatively small portion of the nation's exports. In recent years, refined products like textiles and wines have found a place on the international market.
Fisheries: I have mentioned before that Hobrazia possesses large amounts of trout and an endangered Hobrazian sturgeon, which is sought after despite its protected status. Significant fisheries exist on the coast.
Forestry: Timber has historically been one of Hobrazia's largest exports, although it's been surpassed by mineral extraction. Dense forests in southern Hobrazia are a tremendous resource.
Mining: Hobrazia, mostly Zargundia, possesses significant mineral reserves. Mining is one of Hobrazia's principle industries. Specific resources include zinc, copper, manganese, lead, barite, silver, and gold.
Oil: There are tier 1 reserves in Zargundia. I have also mentioned natural gas extraction in my posts.

Thanks for revamping the natural resource list. I think this is a wonderful idea.
jellybean

Postby Edmund » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Luthori's lack of oil has been RPed since 2011, and though this hasn't been RPed it's probably been depending on foreign imports and a lot of coal since it lost the colonies. Plentiful coal reserves are something that haven't previously been RPed in Luthori, but which I've been trying to introduce in recent (and upcoming) news posts.

Luthori likely has vast forests and farmland, with a population density more comparable to Spain than anywhere else. It's quite possibly the breadbasket of Artania.
Edmund

Postby ChitinKal » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Deep green - Timber
Light green - Rich farmland
Black - Oil (if we're going off of the oil/gas map)
Orange - Common minerals (iron, aluminum, copper, etc)
Blue - Rare minerals (rare earths, cobalt, lithium etc)
Yellow - Uranium

I've RPed Liore proper as being a mineral-producing power house, with much of our income coming from exporting minerals extracted from the Caltropic Highlands. On the map, our common and rare minerals are the most developed natural resources in Liore's economy, with timber and farmland supplying primarily for domestic consumption (though much of this is supplemented by imports due to environmental regulations and the small amount of land that can be used for large farms). Oil is completely undeveloped and likely won't be due to the environmental and cultural concerns of the locals.
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

Postby Reddy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Cobura has very large gold and silver reserves mostly located in eastern Domale (extensively RPed). There are considerable copper reserves and gemstones in Dilginato, largely unexploited. Cobura is also famous for its coffee and tea produced in the mountains of northern Domale and its high quality cotton produced in Irkawa.

As for Kurageri, it is has rich agricultural land along with large deposits of various metals most notably titanium and iron.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Return to General