FBC Nations Consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: FBC Nations Consultation

Postby Rogue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 am

DueWizard70 wrote:
Reddy wrote:I would rather you did not change any FBC nations cultures anymore. I used to play in Utembo when it was an African country, when I returned after some time, it was a Tibetan country. This as can you imagine, was more than a bit disorienting and put me off the FBCs for some time.

As the person who played in Utembo after you, it happened the other way around for me. I saw all your African RP and was going to continue it, but when I checked the FBC Info page I saw it was now Tibetan. I had to spend a significant amount of time talking with a Mod through DMs to clarify everything.

My point being, changing around the cultures is not only confusing for more experienced players who might have left the game for a while and then returned to see the nation's culture completely changed, but it is also confusing for new ones, who saw a few dozen posts about a certain culture but are now having to RP a completely different culture than the one previously seen in the country.

I agree with these findings. Therefor i am proposing minimal changes to how it currently is. The question is do the players like to see a return to "historic" cultures of the nations or keep them as they currently are?
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby Zanz » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Rogue wrote:
Zanz wrote:
Rogue wrote:On what direction to take the FBC nations. I intend on not disrupting historic/current RP to much, instead focussing on smaller changes to realize what i layed out in the first message. Just wondering what the rest of the community wants to see.

Where do you interpret your power to do this to come from, exactly?

Section 8a - Forum-Based Countries Coordinator

1. The primary role of the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator is to coordinate and promote role-play in the forum-based countries. As part of this role they are expected to provide players with advice and facilitate relationships between players to aid in the development of role-play.

2. While the ultimate decision to approve or deny control requests lies with Moderation, the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should be consulted when considering applications and provide advice to Moderation about a request. In offering this advice they should consider the appropriateness of a player request as well as whether it conforms to the historically role-played background of the country.

3. The Forum-Based Countries Coordinator has the opportunity to produce role-play in uncontrolled forum-based countries. Where this power is exercised it should be done in a manner that is sensitive to the impacts of the role-play on neighbouring countries as well as the relationship to previous role-play in the country. If the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator wishes to engage in significant role-play in a country then they should still seek control in the ordinary manner.

4. Over time the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should, using feedback from other players and their own judgement, offer advice and suggestions to Moderation about how the role-play experience in the forum-based countries can be improved.

I interpret this to mean that you have roughly four powers as the FBC coordinator:

• Try to facilitate RP between players. Basically, to think big picture about two RPs that two RPers are doing, and try to advise on how they might fit together.
  • Be consulted before players are approved for spots in the FBCs.
  • Do RP that is not "significant" in any country which is not currently occupied.
  • Make suggestions to moderation about how we might make the FBCs more interesting.

Maybe it's this fourth one, but even then, it's moderation who ultimately makes the decisions, not you.

I agree with Reddy that more changes are likely to be disorienting and harmful rather than helpful. The FBC coordinator position is a real flavor-of-the-week position, historically, and should in my opinion be kept to the very limited powers defined in the rules so that no one person can come in and impose a vision (usually bad, imo) on the others.

I wouldnt have made this thread without the explicit support from Moderation. I hope that answers the question

Is Moderation planning to change the rules as part of this consultation to allow the FBC Controller the sort of powers that I suggested above that you do not have? Or else can one of them explain here why they support an effort that is not allowed within the game rules?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Aquinas » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Rogue, could you please provide us with details of the changes you propose to implement in 4 days time. I feel that would be helpful here.
Aquinas

Postby Edmund » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Rogue wrote:
DueWizard70 wrote:
Reddy wrote:I would rather you did not change any FBC nations cultures anymore. I used to play in Utembo when it was an African country, when I returned after some time, it was a Tibetan country. This as can you imagine, was more than a bit disorienting and put me off the FBCs for some time.

As the person who played in Utembo after you, it happened the other way around for me. I saw all your African RP and was going to continue it, but when I checked the FBC Info page I saw it was now Tibetan. I had to spend a significant amount of time talking with a Mod through DMs to clarify everything.

My point being, changing around the cultures is not only confusing for more experienced players who might have left the game for a while and then returned to see the nation's culture completely changed, but it is also confusing for new ones, who saw a few dozen posts about a certain culture but are now having to RP a completely different culture than the one previously seen in the country.

I agree with these findings. Therefor i am proposing minimal changes to how it currently is. The question is do the players like to see a return to "historic" cultures of the nations or keep them as they currently are?

A return to the historic cultures, which is what I was suggesting. The worst example of the changes is how we have a Swahili-speaking nation called "Suyu Llaqta". Please just make Istapali be Aztec again. If language accessibility is an issue we can probably find native speakers or language learning Discords (even for the ones like Ainu and Yakut, which I (probably being the PT player with the most interest in those two groups) will point out are much more inaccessible than Quechua) and ask for help in putting together word lists for PT-relevant terms.
Last edited by Edmund on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edmund

Postby Rogue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Aquinas wrote:Rogue, could you please provide us with details of the changes you propose to implement in 4 days time. I feel that would be helpful here.

Ofcourse. Well the thing is, based on what im hearing here, im not sure if we need any major change. My idea when moving into the position was to base my actions on player feedback. Preferably i would like to see a balance in the FBC nations, that allows players to have some consistency when playing in the FBC world. I dont have any set plan, and if the community reaches the agreement that there is no need for changes to the current makeup of the FBC nations then there wont be any changes.
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby Reddy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:39 pm

I commend you for your open-mindedness, Rogue. I would support some return to historical cultures in cases where we have some overrepresented cultures such as the example Edmund gave. Overall I still think changes need to very limited, strongly justified and gradual The FBCs don't need. to be very accessible culturally and to be honest, in this era of Google Translate and other online dixtionaries, what is so difficult about basic translation?
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Rogue » Sun May 09, 2021 7:49 am

I decided to give it some more time and have come to a conclusion. My intention will be as follows. Changes will be very minimal, however i would like to include some clearer african connections in the FBC nations as well as provide a "tier" based organization. Colonial heritage will also play a much greater role in this proposed change.

Northern Dovani:
Will see no major changes, as it currently reflects the vision of authenticity and colonial remnants that i would like to implement in some nations.
For example Ostland has clear germanic influences, Utari Mosir Austrian influences, North Dovani Kyo, Mina Majatran etc.

Middle Dovani:
This will generally remain the same, except for New Verham. My proposal is to make the Vanukean minority more prevelant in New Verham and keep its mongolian majority. I would also like to implement changes for Midway, but would like community feedback on what you would like to see when it comes to that.

Lower Dovani:
Will remain largely the same, with the only change i would like to implement being one in Temania, changing it from Indonesian to Malaysian, as i think it fits the overal characteristics of the country more. Possible change could include Bazgaristan, i am however hesitant about it considering we have no country with a distinct afghan feeling.

Let me know what you all think of the proposed changes and what possible input you all have.
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby Auditorii » Sun May 09, 2021 8:12 pm

As a note Ostland has many Austrian influences not so much “Germanic” which would be more synonymous with Dundorfian influences, not so much Utari Mosir which has a much greater local (Ainu) influence now.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Edmund » Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 am

The only changes at all should be to restore the original cultures. This is just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.
Edmund

Postby Drax » Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Think one thing to keep in mind when considering changes is retaining colonial history if any as well as forum history.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

PreviousNext

Return to General