FBC Nations Consultation

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

FBC Nations Consultation

Postby Rogue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi everyone.

Following my appointed as FBC coordinator i would first like to consult the community on the way forward. Previous coordinators in my position have implemented some changes. These changes will be kept in place at least for now.
My personal plan/idea for the FBC nations is for them to resemble a better mix of RL african and asian cultures. Preferably i would like to see the asian cultures grouped around Yingdala, nations like Kimlien etc. Deeper inward we would then move onto african cultures. This would mean some slight changes, with Bazgaristan becoming a likely nation to be changed.

Let me know your personal opinions on the matter, i will leave this open for a week until i will make a decision.

Thanks

Rogue
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Re: FBC Nations Consultation

Postby Zanz » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 pm

What decision are you making in a week?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Rogue » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 am

On what direction to take the FBC nations. I intend on not disrupting historic/current RP to much, instead focussing on smaller changes to realize what i layed out in the first message. Just wondering what the rest of the community wants to see.
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Postby Reddy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:36 am

I would rather you did not change any FBC nations cultures anymore. I used to play in Utembo when it was an African country, when I returned after some time, it was a Tibetan country. This as can you imagine, was more than a bit disorienting and put me off the FBCs for some time.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Edmund » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:57 am

I think we should explore returning, where possible, to the cultures originally RPed when Dovani was being colonised. Contrary to what many think, they were surprisingly internally consistent. We could retcon (in the adjust sense) RP done under the new cultures to fit the old ones.
Edmund

Postby Auditorii » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Edmund wrote:I think we should explore returning, where possible, to the cultures originally RPed when Dovani was being colonised. Contrary to what many think, they were surprisingly internally consistent. We could retcon (in the adjust sense) RP done under the new cultures to fit the old ones.

Not quite sure how that would change the dynamic, instead of primarily Japanese and German (largely from Hulstria and Gao-Soto) we'd have what? Luthorian? I think that stands really to benefit you and you're continued desire, or what appears to be the desire to Britishize everything.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Edmund » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Auditorii wrote:
Edmund wrote:I think we should explore returning, where possible, to the cultures originally RPed when Dovani was being colonised. Contrary to what many think, they were surprisingly internally consistent. We could retcon (in the adjust sense) RP done under the new cultures to fit the old ones.

Not quite sure how that would change the dynamic, instead of primarily Japanese and German (largely from Hulstria and Gao-Soto) we'd have what? Luthorian? I think that stands really to benefit you and you're continued desire, or what appears to be the desire to Britishize everything.

No?

I'm not quite sure how you've got this picture of my supposed motivations, given that I have not shown any desire (ever, let alone continued) to "Britishise everything". I mean the originally RPed native cultures, not the cultures of the ever-changing nations holding those colonies.
Edmund

Postby Zanz » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Rogue wrote:On what direction to take the FBC nations. I intend on not disrupting historic/current RP to much, instead focussing on smaller changes to realize what i layed out in the first message. Just wondering what the rest of the community wants to see.

Where do you interpret your power to do this to come from, exactly?

Section 8a - Forum-Based Countries Coordinator

1. The primary role of the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator is to coordinate and promote role-play in the forum-based countries. As part of this role they are expected to provide players with advice and facilitate relationships between players to aid in the development of role-play.

2. While the ultimate decision to approve or deny control requests lies with Moderation, the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should be consulted when considering applications and provide advice to Moderation about a request. In offering this advice they should consider the appropriateness of a player request as well as whether it conforms to the historically role-played background of the country.

3. The Forum-Based Countries Coordinator has the opportunity to produce role-play in uncontrolled forum-based countries. Where this power is exercised it should be done in a manner that is sensitive to the impacts of the role-play on neighbouring countries as well as the relationship to previous role-play in the country. If the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator wishes to engage in significant role-play in a country then they should still seek control in the ordinary manner.

4. Over time the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should, using feedback from other players and their own judgement, offer advice and suggestions to Moderation about how the role-play experience in the forum-based countries can be improved.

I interpret this to mean that you have roughly four powers as the FBC coordinator:

• Try to facilitate RP between players. Basically, to think big picture about two RPs that two RPers are doing, and try to advise on how they might fit together.
  • Be consulted before players are approved for spots in the FBCs.
  • Do RP that is not "significant" in any country which is not currently occupied.
  • Make suggestions to moderation about how we might make the FBCs more interesting.

Maybe it's this fourth one, but even then, it's moderation who ultimately makes the decisions, not you.

I agree with Reddy that more changes are likely to be disorienting and harmful rather than helpful. The FBC coordinator position is a real flavor-of-the-week position, historically, and should in my opinion be kept to the very limited powers defined in the rules so that no one person can come in and impose a vision (usually bad, imo) on the others.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby DueWizard70 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:10 pm

Reddy wrote:I would rather you did not change any FBC nations cultures anymore. I used to play in Utembo when it was an African country, when I returned after some time, it was a Tibetan country. This as can you imagine, was more than a bit disorienting and put me off the FBCs for some time.

As the person who played in Utembo after you, it happened the other way around for me. I saw all your African RP and was going to continue it, but when I checked the FBC Info page I saw it was now Tibetan. I had to spend a significant amount of time talking with a Mod through DMs to clarify everything.

My point being, changing around the cultures is not only confusing for more experienced players who might have left the game for a while and then returned to see the nation's culture completely changed, but it is also confusing for new ones, who saw a few dozen posts about a certain culture but are now having to RP a completely different culture than the one previously seen in the country.
People's Front Kundrati -ACTIVE (4731-4889, 5142-)
Institutional Reform Party Baltusia-INACTIVE (4889-4896)
Demokratische Hosianer von Dorvik Dorvik-INACTIVE (4908-4918)
Third World Controler of Utembo(4851-4953)
DueWizard70

Postby Rogue » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:10 am

Zanz wrote:
Rogue wrote:On what direction to take the FBC nations. I intend on not disrupting historic/current RP to much, instead focussing on smaller changes to realize what i layed out in the first message. Just wondering what the rest of the community wants to see.

Where do you interpret your power to do this to come from, exactly?

Section 8a - Forum-Based Countries Coordinator

1. The primary role of the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator is to coordinate and promote role-play in the forum-based countries. As part of this role they are expected to provide players with advice and facilitate relationships between players to aid in the development of role-play.

2. While the ultimate decision to approve or deny control requests lies with Moderation, the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should be consulted when considering applications and provide advice to Moderation about a request. In offering this advice they should consider the appropriateness of a player request as well as whether it conforms to the historically role-played background of the country.

3. The Forum-Based Countries Coordinator has the opportunity to produce role-play in uncontrolled forum-based countries. Where this power is exercised it should be done in a manner that is sensitive to the impacts of the role-play on neighbouring countries as well as the relationship to previous role-play in the country. If the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator wishes to engage in significant role-play in a country then they should still seek control in the ordinary manner.

4. Over time the Forum-Based Countries Coordinator should, using feedback from other players and their own judgement, offer advice and suggestions to Moderation about how the role-play experience in the forum-based countries can be improved.

I interpret this to mean that you have roughly four powers as the FBC coordinator:

• Try to facilitate RP between players. Basically, to think big picture about two RPs that two RPers are doing, and try to advise on how they might fit together.
  • Be consulted before players are approved for spots in the FBCs.
  • Do RP that is not "significant" in any country which is not currently occupied.
  • Make suggestions to moderation about how we might make the FBCs more interesting.

Maybe it's this fourth one, but even then, it's moderation who ultimately makes the decisions, not you.

I agree with Reddy that more changes are likely to be disorienting and harmful rather than helpful. The FBC coordinator position is a real flavor-of-the-week position, historically, and should in my opinion be kept to the very limited powers defined in the rules so that no one person can come in and impose a vision (usually bad, imo) on the others.

I wouldnt have made this thread without the explicit support from Moderation. I hope that answers the question
Playing in:

Istapali
Rogue

Next

Return to General