Concerns about moderation conduct

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Concerns about moderation conduct

Postby DueWizard70 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Pragma wrote: I would like to see a significantly larger moderation team, personally

Definitely agree with this. The appointment of Louis as Discord Mod was a fantastic idea and is the first step in this direction.
People's Front Kundrati -ACTIVE (4731-4889, 5142-)
Institutional Reform Party Baltusia-INACTIVE (4889-4896)
Demokratische Hosianer von Dorvik Dorvik-INACTIVE (4908-4918)
Third World Controler of Utembo(4851-4953)
DueWizard70

Postby RandomAccess » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 pm

I have to say that having a significant and bigger moderation team would be a very good idea and that we should also hold the moderators accountable for their actions, I understand that they have other things to do outside of the game and that they should not put the game before anything personal, but they should moderate consistently and not favor certain players, which is something I have seen in certain forum threads.

Conscious of all that has happened, I hope that soon we can see a change in the rules and also have moderators who can abide by the rules and help players who are not so favored, I also hope that my words are not taken in a negative context, but I hope they are taken in a way to debate.
RandomAccess. Inactive since 2021

Jafnaðarmannalisti in Telamon (4823 - 4931)
Nouveau Parti Populaire in Rildanor (4731 - 4917)
RandomAccess

Postby jrandle8 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:06 pm

A bigger moderation team, yes!
民族自由黨 (Yu Imperial Union) in Yingdala & House of Yu Clan (Inactive)
民族自由黨 (United Nationalist Federation) in Dankuk (Active)
jrandle8

Postby Drax » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:08 pm

I share view that the game is in some trouble at the moment. It does look like we are in problem solving mode and think that is where we need to be.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Postby Luis1p » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:13 pm

Alright, seeing as I am part of the moderation team on the discord solely, I have a direct responsibility to be held accountable for what I did/did not do on the Official Particracy Discord.

Yesterday, a conversation went down in the discord that led to a lot of arguing, personal attacks, and accusations. I can say that the moderation team and I spoke about most of the conversation that went down. Players were given warnings, were kicked, and banned on the discord for the conversation that took place. I was not able to give warnings or kick certain players as it was happening because I was at work. I'd like to remind everyone that the work I do as moderator for the discord is completely voluntary. I try to do my best to end unproductive arguments when they start or try and give warnings when players are causing drama.

Last night, it was brought to my attention publicly and privately that Aquinas was called "cancer" and other things. I'd like to bring up the point again that I could not address these things as they happened because I was busy at work. I'm not trying to make excuses for not addressing it, but I could not deal with it at the moment. I then released a statement which was addressed to the entire community about a no-tolerance policy on personal attacks and further drama on the discord. While I received both backlash and praise for it, I do believe it was necessary to end all the drama on the discord. That being said, I never personally meant to attack any player, specifically Aquinas. I don't want to get too personal. But Aquinas did tell me why he had taken offence to being called "cancer" on the discord; however, at the time, I had completely forgotten as to why he would be offended by it. Until he pointed it out today, I realized why the attack was so personal and why it should've been handled quicker. therefore, I'd like to personally apologise to Aquinas over my inability to handle this situation as it developed.

When I accepted the role to become moderator for the discord, I had the goal of reducing the toxicity in the discord and ending the drama. While I may have not addressed urgent situations in a timely manner, I did my best to try and keep the community together and offer compromises. None of my actions as discord moderator to this day have been to single out players or groups in the community. I was simply trying to do my volunteer the best that I could.

I have received mixed commentary about me as discord mod. While I believe I have been doing my best to try and keep toxicity and drama out of the server, it appears, for obvious reasons, that my work is not adequate and sufficient for the discord. Therefore, I have resigned as discord moderator as of today, effective immediately. I do have hope that the game can be restructured and reformed to avoid drama, but for the moment, it is best that I drop out of all game conversations, as I think it's the best thing to do.

I'd like to once again apologise to anyone who was offended, hurt, or attacked by my inability as discord moderator. I genuinely hope that the game can be reformed to avoid any of these siutations. This is the best/latest info I have on my part to answer most of the concerns in the original post. Thank you.
Luis1p

Postby Reddy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:50 am

The hysterics in the first post probably killed any chance of a serious and open debate. Demanding that some resign without knowledge of the full details behind Moderation's actions is frankly ridiculous. Nevertheless there is a serious problem in the game limited to a very small number of very active players (no more than a dozen by my count) and Moderation. God only knows what the other hundred players or so think. We need to address this imbalance in order to get a more accurate representation of the community's opinion .

I have played this game for close to a decade, never once were the Mods considered good enough and there has always been conflict. It is not clear to me what the solution might be. Personally I am agnostic on the idea that an increase in the number of Mods might help but perhaps restoring the bad old RP Team might also redirect some of the toxic energies devoted to verbal sparring to minimal creativity at least. I am a partisan for greater player participation and less centralised administration. As for plagiarism, I still think we should only focus on so called mass plagiarism . I understand that Wouter said he was not bothered by the legal risk from this plagiarism much so why impose very strict academic standards? It is, after all, fictional characters inhabiting fictional countries doing the plagiarism anyway.

I am sorry to see Luis resign. I think he tried his best unfortunately the appetite for drama and minute has overwhelmed several administrators in recent years. I would ask him to reconsider this.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Independent P » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that if someone is permanently banned then moderation should instantly give a reason for the ban on the forum?
Independent P

Postby alaskancrabpuffs21 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:10 pm

For those calling for an explanation from the mods let me say that if they did it would be against the game rules to do so. Moderation cannot discuss this kind of thing to other people and that is true with banning. I would love to hear the whole story too but the game rules are game rules.

Also I would like to announce that I will be leaving the game for a while, it may be for a little while it may be forever but I have gotten burnt out with all the drama. I have been trying to decide for the better part of a week but this game has lost the sense of community and friendship now... I will be finishing my space RP and then taking a break. I would like to thank all those who have made this game great. I will stay in contact with all of you. You all are fun to talk to and discuss things with and you guys are great. I hope the drama ends but I like all of you have RL commitments and i can't get myself worked up over a silly obscure game. Anyways there is the end of my TED talk thank you for reading
"Alaskan"
Dolgovas konservatīvā partija (Dolgava) info
Also in Hanzen
My RP: Dolgava

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning - Erwin Rommel
alaskancrabpuffs21

Postby jellybean » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 pm

alaskancrabpuffs21 wrote:For those calling for an explanation from the mods let me say that if they did it would be against the game rules to do so. Moderation cannot discuss this kind of thing to other people and that is true with banning. I would love to hear the whole story too but the game rules are game rules.

The game rules themselves state that Moderation has the discretion to make exceptions or amendments. The rule against talking about bans, whether it is a good idea or not, is not immutable.

I certainly don't want to see you or anyone else leave the game. For what it's worth I'll also say that I think Luis is/was a good moderator for the Discord and I personally don't want to see him step down.
jellybean

Postby ChitinKal » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:38 pm

While I cannot go too deep into the details of Aquinas’ ban as per section 1.3 of the game rules, I can assure everyone that he has not been banned for being an “annoyance” to Moderation. Frankly, if so-called “annoying” people were to be booted from the game, we’d have a much smaller and much less interesting community, and in all likelihood I personally would have been thrown out a long time ago.

As for the edits and deletes, I’ve discussed with the team the circumstances and content of the messages in question, and we came to the conclusion that the deletions were overzealous and wrong on our part. While message deletions can in extreme circumstances be justified, editing the messages of other players has always been verboten and will continue to be so. Going forward, Moderation will not be deleting messages in this manner, because as Jellybeans pointed out, it can be malicious and (in my opinion) makes our job more difficult by removing what can be vital information to explain a situation.

One of the major issues I’ve seen brought up in this thread is more and more backlash to section 1.3. While I understand the original intention of this rule to be in place in order to curtail gossip and drama (which is definitely something the community as a whole needs to take incredibly seriously), I get the concern with the rule that it makes Moderation less accountable. Personally, I think my job would be a lot easier if I could be straight with y’all whenever we issue a sanction instead of having to undergo the all-too familiar community meltdown that’s becoming increasingly characteristic of this game. Vesica and I have been talking since I joined the Moderation team about implementing a series of rule changes and opening up a discussion within the community in order to see these implemented, and no doubt this discussion would give us the chance to decide the future of section 1.3.

As Kubrick put it, Vesica and I are seen as “absent mods.” While I reject this characterization of us (given that, for the most part, at least one of us is always present and we are usually quick to address requests and reports the day of, or at the latest a day or two behind, and I’ve heard that there have been previous Mod teams who would be absent for many days or weeks at a time), I can understand frustration when we’re at those periods when we are a few days late. As quite a few of you have mentioned, we are both real people with lives who sometimes get busy. Whether this is regular things (like family, school, or work) or irregular pressing matters (such as yesterday as I had to take a family member to the emergency room and wait there with them for a good portion of the day), we cannot dedicate every waking hour of our days to patrolling the forum or being active on Discord. Nobody can.

Moderation is completely open to any structural reform of game administration, as long as it’s accepted by Wouter and the wider community. What people often forget is that Moderators are members of the PT community just like all the others, we play the same game and are around the same people, and we ultimately want to do what makes the game and community a less-toxic and more RP-friendly place. While I don’t believe it is the structure of administration that is causing many of the woes to the game and community, if there are any suggestions to how it can be improved, make them known to the community (preferably through the forum) and discuss them with your PT comrades. As Pragma said in reference to wanting a larger Moderation team, get a thread open and discuss your ideas. While I’m unsure of my future as a member of this community, I’m ready and willing to do my best to improve things while I’m here.
RP Controller of Liore
Fronto de Aŭgustana Vekiĝo (Zardugal) (Inactive) link
Mare Unitu (Keymon) (Inactive) link
Ár Náisiún (Kirlawa) (Inactive) link
National Conservative Party (Kalistan) (Inactive) link
ChitinKal

PreviousNext

Return to General