Language development

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Language development

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:29 pm

I have no personal objections to either of those proposals. I agree that "Celda" is a bit too similar to Celtic and I think that "Dradic" is an appropriate alternative. In the short term, it might be worth retaining the previous terms as alternative names, for example on the Wiki pages for these language families.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:12 pm

Polites wrote:I second the above.

On an unrelated note, I think the term for Germanic should be Dunic and for Celtic it should be Dradic. Let me explain:

Dunic has been RPd for some time now as the name for Ancient Germanic peoples, and is the origin of both "Dundorfian" and "Duntrekker". It's currently being used in Deltaria to mean exactly that, Ancient Germanic, comprising the Goths and Anglo-Saxon. With Deltaria updating its cultural protocol it makes less sense to use Dunic with that meaning, especially since Gothic and Old English do not form a valid clade within the Germanic languages. Since the term has a history of use, I think it would be reasonable to apply it generally to all Germanic languages.

Celda or even Celdic is a terrible idea, it's too obviously based on "Celtic" and too little different from it. The term Dradic, while derived from Draddwyr, is distinct enough from it that it can refer to the broader group. It's been used occasionally, so far only in this post, but based on that I've introduced it to some wiki articles as well. It's a simple term and, due to its similarity to "Draddwyr", easily understandable.

I was always under the impression that "Dunic" was the term for Germanic, I didn't know there was anything else?
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Polites » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:19 pm

Right now it’s Dundorfic.
Polites

Postby Auditorii » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 pm

Polites wrote:Right now it’s Dundorfic.

Interesting, i typically used Dunic, perhaps we can retain Dundorfic and just note its a more "modern" adaptation.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Polites » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:24 pm

Auditorii wrote:
Polites wrote:Right now it’s Dundorfic.

Interesting, i typically used Dunic, perhaps we can retain Dundorfic and just note its a more "modern" adaptation.

I'd rather switch to Dunic altogether, Dundorfic sounds like it's about Dundorf specifically.

I also think we should switch the terms for Afroasiatic and Semitic. The word "Qedarite" has been used to mean "Semitic" since the term was introduced, and for a while that was the only Afroasiatic family represented in the game. When Coptic was introduced it was brought in together with the Amharic, which is a Semitic language. For the sake of convenience Coptic was brought under the Qedarite umbrella. Later, when the Amazigh languages were added, they were RPd as a language isolate because of RPd discrimination of Hebileans for not being Qedarite (before they became Berber Hebileans were Welsh with a Kurdish culture).

Since there's so much history on using Qedarite to mean Semitic I'd rather have Khamatic refer to the wider language family, and include Coptic, Amazigh, and Somali in the latter instead of the Qedarite family.
Polites

Postby jamescfm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Polites wrote:I also think we should switch the terms for Afroasiatic and Semitic. The word "Qedarite" has been used to mean "Semitic" since the term was introduced, and for a while that was the only Afroasiatic family represented in the game. When Coptic was introduced it was brought in together with the Amharic, which is a Semitic language. For the sake of convenience Coptic was brought under the Qedarite umbrella. Later, when the Amazigh languages were added, they were RPd as a language isolate because of RPd discrimination of Hebileans for not being Qedarite (before they became Berber Hebileans were Welsh with a Kurdish culture).

Since there's so much history on using Qedarite to mean Semitic I'd rather have Khamatic refer to the wider language family, and include Coptic, Amazigh, and Somali in the latter instead of the Qedarite family.

No problem with this at all.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:11 pm

Here is an updated version of the list at the start of this thread. I have highlighted edits or additions in blue.

Language families

Altaic: Jelbo-Tukaric (includes the fictional Jelbic languages)
Afroasiatic: Khamatic
Austroasiatic: Dinh-Chon
Austronesian: Nautic
Dravidian: Vanashishu
Indo-European: Heludic
Japonic: Kunikata-Sekowan
Koreanic: Kyo-Changt'ae
Kra–Dai: Hanzenic
Sino-Tibetan: Xsampan-Yingdalan
Uralic: Makonic

Language subfamilies

Celtic: Dradic
Finnic: Sullestic
Formosan: Welang
Germanic: Dunic
Indo-Aryan: Kalkali
Iranic: Ezadi
Malayo-Polynesian: Temanian
Mongolic: Panmuanic
Polynesian: Tropican
Semitic: Qedarite
Tukaric: Turkic
Slavic: Delic
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:57 am

For the Bantu languages I would suggest Kuragic. Kurageri has consistently been a Swahili-speaking nation even since it was a colony of Sekowo, and while the other FBCs have changed drastically and are likely to continue changing in the future, I think Kurageri is pretty well established as one of the Bantu nations.

If we take the Asli languages to be the non-Bantu Niger Congo languages, then we can group the two as the Asli-Kuragic languages and have them refer to the Niger-Congo languages. Not a very elegant term but it's the best I can think of without creating entirely new terminology.
Polites

Postby jamescfm » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:25 am

Polites wrote:For the Bantu languages I would suggest Kuragic. Kurageri has consistently been a Swahili-speaking nation even since it was a colony of Sekowo, and while the other FBCs have changed drastically and are likely to continue changing in the future, I think Kurageri is pretty well established as one of the Bantu nations.

If we take the Asli languages to be the non-Bantu Niger Congo languages, then we can group the two as the Asli-Kuragic languages and have them refer to the Niger-Congo languages. Not a very elegant term but it's the best I can think of without creating entirely new terminology.

Sounds good to me.
jamescfm

Previous

Return to General