Consider onboarding a new second moderator?

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Consider onboarding a new second moderator?

Postby Zanz » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:52 pm

Hey Auditorii, I am curious if you have considered appointing a second moderator to assist with day-to-day moderation work? It's been quite some time since the community had two moderators, and we've seen a relative rise in returning players and active new players on the forum and on the game. We can all see that there are periods where you're busy in real life and there are sometimes days-long periods where requests for things like reactivation, early elections, etc., go waiting. This can be pretty disruptive to RP, so I am curious if you think this will improve and stay better in the near future or if you have otherwise considered getting help? There are plenty of newer players who might make good candidates for a more educational role where they can assist with simple management and refer to you if things are too complex.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Re: Consider onboarding a new second moderator?

Postby Zanz » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:03 pm

To add, I do think either way even if we don't think we need a second mod in the immediate term, it's probably a good idea for anyone who might be interested in assisting with moderation to make themselves known so that those in the community who might be interested can be considered if the time is right. Do we have anything anywhere that allows players to identify themselves as interested in helping out if they are? I know in past applications have been opened up temporarily when there's a need, but maybe it should just be more of a like... "Post here if you would be interested in being considered sometime" sort of thing?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Auditorii » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm

Zanz wrote:Hey Auditorii, I am curious if you have considered appointing a second moderator to assist with day-to-day moderation work? It's been quite some time since the community had two moderators, and we've seen a relative rise in returning players and active new players on the forum and on the game. We can all see that there are periods where you're busy in real life and there are sometimes days-long periods where requests for things like reactivation, early elections, etc., go waiting. This can be pretty disruptive to RP, so I am curious if you think this will improve and stay better in the near future or if you have otherwise considered getting help? There are plenty of newer players who might make good candidates for a more educational role where they can assist with simple management and refer to you if things are too complex.

I don't have any intentions or designs to on-board a second Moderator at this time.

Zanz wrote:To add, I do think either way even if we don't think we need a second mod in the immediate term, it's probably a good idea for anyone who might be interested in assisting with moderation to make themselves known so that those in the community who might be interested can be considered if the time is right. Do we have anything anywhere that allows players to identify themselves as interested in helping out if they are? I know in past applications have been opened up temporarily when there's a need, but maybe it should just be more of a like... "Post here if you would be interested in being considered sometime" sort of thing?

I have no intentions or designs to on-board someone who access to Moderator-type authority/power without being a Moderator.

If someone is interested they are always more than welcome to reach out.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Luis1p » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:37 pm

This is quite the opportune moment to discuss this concern. The time it is taking to do requests is consistently increasing. We only have one moderator at the moment and to be fair our community is increasingly active compared to the previous year. I'd argue that we need a second moderator, or at least some sort of system where players can aid in lessening the load.

For one, the community has grown and is more active than it has been in a while. Collectively, I believe it is our duty to try and maintain systems in place that will benefit the community and maintain its activity. The delayed requests can diminish RP interests and make it difficult to coordinate RP ideas. Speaking personally, my interest in RP can change over night depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure what other players think, but time makes a difference. I think its fair to say that the community not only deserves, but needs a bit more timeliness with the requests.

I get it. Audit, you're a very busy guy (same here) and you're carrying moderation alone. I think it would be a good idea to have someone do stuff when you're not available. I would say that there are people here who would love to help--it's just not easy for some to simply reach out.

This is obviously going to be a waste of 5 minutes that I will never get back, boo hoo, but I am just stating what I see, what I hear, and what I think is echoing in the community. XoXo
Luis1p

Postby jamescfm » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:45 pm

Could you explain why you won't consider appointing a second Moderator? Personally I did find the recent inactivity frustrating. Luthori had an election where a party won seats that should have been inactivated. When players already have to deal with a broken game, issues like this are especially disheartening.

I agree with Zanz that it might be a good idea to appoint somebody without any previous experience with the idea of getting another person familiar with Moderation processes and duties. In the past, we had multiple experienced former Moderators active in the community but there are far fewer people today who could step in, if it was ever required. At the very least, I don't see what the downside in giving it a shot.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:48 pm

jamescfm wrote:I agree with Zanz that it might be a good idea to appoint somebody without any previous experience with the idea of getting another person familiar with Moderation processes and duties. In the past, we had multiple experienced former Moderators active in the community but there are far fewer people today who could step in, if it was ever required. At the very least, I don't see what the downside in giving it a shot.

In regards to this, I can state quite easily that there are no active, or recently active former Moderators that I have any interest in seeing being active in the Moderator-role.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:49 pm

Auditorii wrote:In regards to this, I can state quite easily that there are no active, or recently active former Moderators that I have any interest in seeing being active in the Moderator-role.

Yes, I would recommend that you re-read my response because that was exactly my point.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:52 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Auditorii wrote:In regards to this, I can state quite easily that there are no active, or recently active former Moderators that I have any interest in seeing being active in the Moderator-role.

Yes, I would recommend that you re-read my response because that was exactly my point.

I'm aware, I'm confirming the latter part of your statement.
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Pragma » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:58 pm

Auditorii wrote:
jamescfm wrote:I agree with Zanz that it might be a good idea to appoint somebody without any previous experience with the idea of getting another person familiar with Moderation processes and duties. In the past, we had multiple experienced former Moderators active in the community but there are far fewer people today who could step in, if it was ever required. At the very least, I don't see what the downside in giving it a shot.

In regards to this, I can state quite easily that there are no active, or recently active former Moderators that I have any interest in seeing being active in the Moderator-role.

If you don't think there's anybody you can work with, isn't that a you problem?
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby Auditorii » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:59 pm

Pragma wrote:
Auditorii wrote:

If you don't think there's anybody you can work with, isn't that a you problem?

As always, I welcome your constructive comments in a discussion. :lol:
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Next

Return to General