Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Feedback: Nation Renaming Guide

Postby Augustus Germanus » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:09 pm

I would like to make a kinda late formal request that "Davostan" be changed on the forum to "Davostag" (for example in game information and national news), as has been done in the actual game through the cultural protocols and on the wiki. The name "Davostan" can serve as an alternative, in the way "Davostag" has done previously. Thank you.
Nationell Samling in Davostag Image
Augustus Germanus

Postby Augustus Germanus » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:36 pm

Augustus Germanus wrote:I would like to make a kinda late formal request that "Davostan" be changed on the forum to "Davostag" (for example in game information and national news), as has been done in the actual game through the cultural protocols and on the wiki. The name "Davostan" can serve as an alternative, in the way "Davostag" has done previously. Thank you.

Would like to bring attention to this from moderation.
Augustus Germanus

Postby jamescfm » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:30 pm

Augustus Germanus wrote:
Augustus Germanus wrote:I would like to make a kinda late formal request that "Davostan" be changed on the forum to "Davostag" (for example in game information and national news), as has been done in the actual game through the cultural protocols and on the wiki. The name "Davostan" can serve as an alternative, in the way "Davostag" has done previously. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay with this request. I will bring it to the Role-Play Committee and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
jamescfm

Postby Augustus Germanus » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:51 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Augustus Germanus wrote:

Sorry for the delay with this request. I will bring it to the Role-Play Committee and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much! :D
Augustus Germanus

Postby jamescfm » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Your request is approved and the Nation Renaming Guide has been updated. The primary name of the country is now listed as "Davostag", while "Davostan" is still listed as an alternative.

The following threads have been amended to reflect the updated name:
Cultural Protocols Index
Dynamic Rankings
Population Sizes
World Congress & Security Council

I have requested that GreekIdiot update the name of the national news thread and the Security Council variable. Let me know if there are any problems, or if you know any other places where the name should be updated.
jamescfm

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:31 pm

jamescfm wrote:

Your request is approved and the Nation Renaming Guide has been updated. The primary name of the country is now listed as "Davostag", while "Davostan" is still listed as an alternative.

The following threads have been amended to reflect the updated name:
Cultural Protocols Index
Dynamic Rankings
Population Sizes
World Congress & Security Council

I have requested that GreekIdiot update the name of the national news thread and the Security Council variable. Let me know if there are any problems, or if you know any other places where the name should be updated.

Updated.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby jamescfm » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:55 pm

The names of Jelbe and Nsanlosa have been updated on the Population Information thread.
jamescfm

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:16 pm

Auditorii wrote:
ChengherRares1 wrote:
ChengherRares1 wrote:I owe a better explanation for my issue with the name currently designated to Kizenia

Foremost, the current name ("Chizâna și Noului Endralon") has several problems

First is the Chizână part

Why is it wrong? Well, in Romanian, nation names ending in -ia, like let's say Likatonia, would translate as Lichatonia. Even real life names like Sweden, Hungary, Norway or Germany, in Romanian they gain the -ia end, such as "Suedia", "Ungaria", "Norvegia" or "Germania"

Secondly, the error is also about the fact "-ă" is used for feminine nouns or cases, such as saying "This woman is Kizenian", in Romanian, Kizenian noun gains the gender of the noun "woman", which obviously is feminine, ending as "Femeia aceasta este Chizână"

Thus it is incorrect form, the correct form is either the literal Chizenia, or Chizânia

---------

The second major error is "Noului Endralon"

Specifically wrong here is that while Endralon is correctly said, Noului it isnt

To understand, Romanian language is finnicky

If you would add Kindgom of, State of, Territories of, or anything prescribing an attribute, an owner or generally a term to individualize the current name or object from others (just like in English we do it with "a car" vs "this car", or "Matthew's car") , then you could use the appropriate add ons like noului as well -ei

With wording like : Kingdom of Kizenia and New Endralon, Romanian sounds like:

Regatul Chizenei și a noului Endralon

The Kingdom - has its "the" transferred as "ul", forcing the expression {Kizenia and New Endralon} to adopt a definite form too, here being both neutral, which is masculine at singular

Since nations are singular in their existence, it makes the translation to male definite form "-ei"

For nominal translation of Kizenia we have Chizenia or Chizânia, depending how people wish it in the end

Regardless, the above example with The Kingdom of (that) is inappropriate in our case, because just enumerating nations or objects doesnt infer need of definite articles

Basically said, if I say "The woman and the man walk", these do not get the Romanian "the" equivalent

They are just "Femeia și bărbatul umblă". They only get indefinite article

If we wanted it to be like current name for Kizenia, it would need something like "The home of the man and the woman looks nice!"

Translated as: "Casa bărbatului și a femeii arată drăguță".

But in our case, with nothing to command presence of such ends, it should be simply

"Chizânia și Noul Endralon " ("noul" here can absorb the -ui given that when we handle names with multiple words, we only give definite article to one of them, here being the New from New Endralon, as it's considered part of the name)

One last mistake, the current name does not even have consistent articulation

Chizână and Noului Endralon are set for whole different situation

I ask the moderation to understand the flagrant issues and correct them

Any updates on this?

In regards to this, if you wish to provide feedback perhaps it would be best to give definitive names for instance: what should Kizenia be translated to when simply being referred as "Kizenia", the same for New Endralon. what should it be translated to when referred to some polity? (i.e. Kingdom of Kizenia, Republic of Kizenia, etc.)?

In regards to this, if you wish to provide feedback perhaps it would be best to give definitive names for instance: what should Kizenia be translated to when simply being referred as "Kizenia", the same for New Endralon. what should it be translated to when referred to some polity? (i.e. Kingdom of Kizenia, Republic of Kizenia, etc.)?

SORRY for gravedigging so badly, but I just saw the response now, and I gotta respond..

Thinking more on the issue, I am realizing I may also have been mistaken. While my version of translating the words go with a masculine form, such as "Republica Chizeniei și a Noului Endralon” (short form of Endralon has a masculine end), there is also the equally possibly valid form of ”Republica Chizeniei și Noii Endralonii”. This one is a bit of a clusterfuck by the virtue of ”ii” endings. Normally in Romanian, nations are feminine ending, although Endralon is a special case, having an ending in a consonant, forcing a different case altoghether. In Romanian, all nations seem to have a vowel as last letter when naming nations.

An unspoken but concrete rule is that when calling out girls names in sentences, those that end with a vowel you can add suffixes, while for feminine words ending with consonants they default to male conjugation, where instead of ”ei” you get ”lui”, here being found in ”Noului Endralon”, where when two words work together to form a term, only one of the words take the conjugation, here defaulting per usual to the first word, always.

Thus I reiterate the need of ”[...] Chizeniei și Noului Endralon”.

Here is a simple conjugation list in Romanian:
Kizenia - Chizenia
Kizenian - Chizân (masculine), Chizână (feminine)
The Kizenian - Chizânul (masculine), Chizâna (feminine)
Kizenians - Chizeni/Chizâni (masculine, hard to pinpoint whether first form is eligible here), Chizâne (feminine)
The Kizenians - Chizânii (masculine), Chizânele (feminine)
Kizenian Republic - Republica Chizână !! Warning, if the word after Kizenian is masculine, then the consequent form is Chizân , such as Pistol Chizân
Republic of Kizenia - Republica Chizeniei (the diffference between this and one above is the above one is an adjective form, here being a possessive form

THE REASON why I cannot decide on Chizenia vs Chizânia is that there is England case in Romania: Anglia (the nation), Englezi (English, the people). Here Chizenia and Chizânia both sound legit forms (it could even work interchangeably)

New Endralon - Noul Endralon (masculine!)
New Endralonian - (there isnt a way to conjugate this as demonym in Romanian, due to rarity of two words involved instead of one)
POSSIBLE CONJUGATION - Nou Endralon, Nouă Endralon OR go with Londonese form in Romanian: Nou Endralonez, Nou Endraloneză
AGAIN !! Normally ”new ” would suffer the conjugational differences, but this case we emphasize the country name, not the adjective
The New Endralonian - Nouul Endralonez (-ul at masculine form inherited), Noua Endraloneză (-a at feminine form inherited)
New Endralonians - Nou Endralonezi, Nou Endraloneze
AGAIN !! same as above !!
The New Endralonians - Noii Endralonezi (here ”new” gets conjugated again), Noile Endraloneze (not only that, but it gains a more complex form!)
New Endralonian Republic - Republica Nou Endraloneză (adjective form)
Republic of New Endralon - Republica Noului Endralon (posessive form)

Together, the two words do this way:

Republic of Kizenia and New Endralon - Republica Chizeniei și Noului Endralon
Kingdom of Kizenia and New Endralon - Regatul Chizeniei și Noului Endralon

If you found out this guide confusing, you are not alone XD. Normally Romanian grammar takes in account new words and ways countries are called, but this is not only a fictional country name, it has multiple words and it ends in consonant. Furthermore, the English /England example also highlights inconsistency in Romanian articulation of demonyms and country names, causing further problems.

While my attempt may be intermediary in quality, it is though better and I advise Jamescfm and the team to at least attempt implementing this form. I wont be able to be active on the forum until around end of May-begining of June (I am caught up with uni work and last year stuff)

Anyway, I HOPE this helped a lot and that admins attempt at improving the previous conjugations.
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby jamescfm » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:27 pm

Hi, I will have a look into this when I get chance. I would suggest talking to hexaus/BananaZebra (the player in Kizenia and New Endralon) about it though.
jamescfm

Previous

Return to Feedback