Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: Feedback: Nation Renaming Guide

Postby jamescfm » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:17 pm

I would like to request an update to the Nation Renaming Guide's entry for Cildania. At present, the Maltese version of the name is given as "Qildar" but it should be "Kildanja". "Qildar" is the Phoenician name for the country. Thank you.
jamescfm

Postby hyraemous » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:11 pm

I request a chang in the NRG on placing Czech and Slovak for Kundrati alongside the Latin, Basque and English
hyraemous

Postby jamescfm » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:18 pm

jamescfm wrote:I would like to request an update to the Nation Renaming Guide's entry for Cildania. At present, the Maltese version of the name is given as "Qildar" but it should be "Kildanja". "Qildar" is the Phoenician name for the country. Thank you.

I am repeating this request.
jamescfm

Postby GreekIdiot » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:24 am

Noted on both.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:37 am

hyraemous wrote:I request a chang in the NRG on placing Czech and Slovak for Kundrati alongside the Latin, Basque and English

There you go. Also added a datestamp to the thread.
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:38 am

jamescfm wrote:
jamescfm wrote:I would like to request an update to the Nation Renaming Guide's entry for Cildania. At present, the Maltese version of the name is given as "Qildar" but it should be "Kildanja". "Qildar" is the Phoenician name for the country. Thank you.

I am repeating this request.

Done as well.
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:57 pm

Sorry but you have changed the wrong part. The entry should read "Cildania: Maltese (Kildanja)".
jamescfm

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:57 pm

jamescfm wrote:Sorry but you have changed the wrong part. The entry should read "Cildania: Maltese (Kildanja)".

You are absolutely right on that. Still stumbling a bit from the lack of comfort, my apologies. Fixed.
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby ChengherRares1 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:55 am

ChengherRares1 wrote:I owe a better explanation for my issue with the name currently designated to Kizenia

Foremost, the current name ("Chizâna și Noului Endralon") has several problems

First is the Chizână part

Why is it wrong? Well, in Romanian, nation names ending in -ia, like let's say Likatonia, would translate as Lichatonia. Even real life names like Sweden, Hungary, Norway or Germany, in Romanian they gain the -ia end, such as "Suedia", "Ungaria", "Norvegia" or "Germania"

Secondly, the error is also about the fact "-ă" is used for feminine nouns or cases, such as saying "This woman is Kizenian", in Romanian, Kizenian noun gains the gender of the noun "woman", which obviously is feminine, ending as "Femeia aceasta este Chizână"

Thus it is incorrect form, the correct form is either the literal Chizenia, or Chizânia

---------

The second major error is "Noului Endralon"

Specifically wrong here is that while Endralon is correctly said, Noului it isnt

To understand, Romanian language is finnicky

If you would add Kindgom of, State of, Territories of, or anything prescribing an attribute, an owner or generally a term to individualize the current name or object from others (just like in English we do it with "a car" vs "this car", or "Matthew's car") , then you could use the appropriate add ons like noului as well -ei

With wording like : Kingdom of Kizenia and New Endralon, Romanian sounds like:

Regatul Chizenei și a noului Endralon

The Kingdom - has its "the" transferred as "ul", forcing the expression {Kizenia and New Endralon} to adopt a definite form too, here being both neutral, which is masculine at singular

Since nations are singular in their existence, it makes the translation to male definite form "-ei"

For nominal translation of Kizenia we have Chizenia or Chizânia, depending how people wish it in the end

Regardless, the above example with The Kingdom of (that) is inappropriate in our case, because just enumerating nations or objects doesnt infer need of definite articles

Basically said, if I say "The woman and the man walk", these do not get the Romanian "the" equivalent

They are just "Femeia și bărbatul umblă". They only get indefinite article

If we wanted it to be like current name for Kizenia, it would need something like "The home of the man and the woman looks nice!"

Translated as: "Casa bărbatului și a femeii arată drăguță".

But in our case, with nothing to command presence of such ends, it should be simply

"Chizânia și Noul Endralon " ("noul" here can absorb the -ui given that when we handle names with multiple words, we only give definite article to one of them, here being the New from New Endralon, as it's considered part of the name)

One last mistake, the current name does not even have consistent articulation

Chizână and Noului Endralon are set for whole different situation

I ask the moderation to understand the flagrant issues and correct them

Any updates on this?
Gabriel Boțan, oldie
Home nations:
Lodamun - main
Kizenia
Rutania

Lodamun above all!
ChengherRares1

Postby Auditorii » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:14 pm

ChengherRares1 wrote:
ChengherRares1 wrote:I owe a better explanation for my issue with the name currently designated to Kizenia

Foremost, the current name ("Chizâna și Noului Endralon") has several problems

First is the Chizână part

Why is it wrong? Well, in Romanian, nation names ending in -ia, like let's say Likatonia, would translate as Lichatonia. Even real life names like Sweden, Hungary, Norway or Germany, in Romanian they gain the -ia end, such as "Suedia", "Ungaria", "Norvegia" or "Germania"

Secondly, the error is also about the fact "-ă" is used for feminine nouns or cases, such as saying "This woman is Kizenian", in Romanian, Kizenian noun gains the gender of the noun "woman", which obviously is feminine, ending as "Femeia aceasta este Chizână"

Thus it is incorrect form, the correct form is either the literal Chizenia, or Chizânia

---------

The second major error is "Noului Endralon"

Specifically wrong here is that while Endralon is correctly said, Noului it isnt

To understand, Romanian language is finnicky

If you would add Kindgom of, State of, Territories of, or anything prescribing an attribute, an owner or generally a term to individualize the current name or object from others (just like in English we do it with "a car" vs "this car", or "Matthew's car") , then you could use the appropriate add ons like noului as well -ei

With wording like : Kingdom of Kizenia and New Endralon, Romanian sounds like:

Regatul Chizenei și a noului Endralon

The Kingdom - has its "the" transferred as "ul", forcing the expression {Kizenia and New Endralon} to adopt a definite form too, here being both neutral, which is masculine at singular

Since nations are singular in their existence, it makes the translation to male definite form "-ei"

For nominal translation of Kizenia we have Chizenia or Chizânia, depending how people wish it in the end

Regardless, the above example with The Kingdom of (that) is inappropriate in our case, because just enumerating nations or objects doesnt infer need of definite articles

Basically said, if I say "The woman and the man walk", these do not get the Romanian "the" equivalent

They are just "Femeia și bărbatul umblă". They only get indefinite article

If we wanted it to be like current name for Kizenia, it would need something like "The home of the man and the woman looks nice!"

Translated as: "Casa bărbatului și a femeii arată drăguță".

But in our case, with nothing to command presence of such ends, it should be simply

"Chizânia și Noul Endralon " ("noul" here can absorb the -ui given that when we handle names with multiple words, we only give definite article to one of them, here being the New from New Endralon, as it's considered part of the name)

One last mistake, the current name does not even have consistent articulation

Chizână and Noului Endralon are set for whole different situation

I ask the moderation to understand the flagrant issues and correct them

Any updates on this?

In regards to this, if you wish to provide feedback perhaps it would be best to give definitive names for instance: what should Kizenia be translated to when simply being referred as "Kizenia", the same for New Endralon. what should it be translated to when referred to some polity? (i.e. Kingdom of Kizenia, Republic of Kizenia, etc.)?
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback