Updated country description for Temania

Say your piece, make suggestions and offer feedback to any aspect of the game.

Moderator: RP Committee

Updated country description for Temania

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm

The Role-Play Committee is updating the descriptions of the forum-based countries. For more information about the changes, please see the announcement post here: viewtopic.php?p=191143#p191143

Below is our updated country description for Temania. Players are invited to offer their feedback on the proposal in this thread. A period of at least two weeks will be allowed for players to provide feedback. This period will end at the end of the day on 2 February 2024. The feedback period may be extended if discussions remain ongoing at the end of the initial two week period.
TEMANIA

Temania is based on Indonesia and Malaysia.

ETHNIC GROUPS

Mondesian (Malay)- 33%
Nelayan (Javanese)- 27%
Kahadean (Sundanese)- 16%
Halak (Batak)- 7%
Manmerian (Papuan)- 5%
Saramese (Madurese)- 4%
Temanian Yingdalan (Malaysian Chinese)- 3%
Other- 5%

RELIGION

Israi Ahmadism (Sunni Islam)- 78%
Mazdayana Daenism (Mahayana Buddhism)- 9%
Hosianism (Christianity)- 6%
— Abjurantism (Protestantism)- 3%
— Aurorian Patriarchal Church (Catholic Church)- 3%
Geraja (Hinduism)- 5%
Other- 2%

LANGUAGE

Temania is extremely linguistically diverse. The majority of the population speaks a local language specific to their ethnic group or region. Four standardised languages are widely recognised and used as lingua francas: Makmurtan (Indonesian Malay), Mondesian (Malaysian Malay), Nelayan (Javanese) and Kahadean (Sundanese). Makmurtan (Indonesian Malay) and Mondesian (Malaysian Malay) are different standardised varieties of the same language.
jamescfm

Re: Updated country description for Temania

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:25 am

lgtm, love the localisation focus.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Polites » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:59 pm

To be perfectly honest, I am not a big fan of maritime SE Asia in Temania. I get that it is reasonably close to mainland SE Asia in South Dovani, and not far from Vascania, but the fact that Temania is a relatively large landmass makes it not really a good fit for the, well, maritime cultures of SE Asia. Also making Ahmadism the largest religion when there's no Ahmadi regions anywhere close (except for Medina) makes me think these cultures would be a better fit elsewhere.

It's not a major issue for me and I think, if there is community support, this can be made to work, but personally I think I'd rather see these cultures somewhere in Seleya. There has been some RP with these cultures in Temania so I'm aware that any change would potentially invalidate past RP, so if there's no support for a change in Temania I'll gladly let this go.
Polites

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:00 pm

I agree with you that it would be better if Temania were not such a large landmass but I think it is something we just have to work around, primarily by emphasising the population of the country would be concentrated near to the coast. I am personally not convinced by the other points you make though.

Regarding the prevalence of Ahmadism, the situation is parallel to real-life. Temania is actually closer to Medina in the game than Malaysia and Indonesia are to Bangladesh in real-life. As with the spread of Islam to Southeast Asia in real-life, I think it is reasonable to assume the spread of Ahmadism to Temania was through a combination of trade and missionary work. In addition to the Ahmadi polities in Majatra, this could have been due to influence from the Asli Sultanate too.

In my opinion, the case for keeping a country inspired by Indonesia and Malaysia in Temania is strong. Yingdala was a colonial power in the region and is located reasonably nearby, which makes sense when you think about the real-life influence of China (on Malaysia in particular). Approximately a fifth of Malaysia's population is ethnically Han Chinese. Perhaps more importantly, Indian-influenced states played a central role in the history of both countries. Temania being located close to Vascania is realistic then.

In more general terms, Temania is located near to countries based on Vietnam (Kimlien) and Thailand (Hanzen). Both of these countries are geographically close to Malaysia and Indonesia in real life. Though it is sometimes difficult to quantify "shared cultural tradition", I think it should be clear that there has been a significant degree of interaction between the peoples and polities of these regions over a period of many centuries.

In terms of language, Temania is in a realistic position too. In recent role-play, I have sought to provide some background to the distribution of the Austronesian languages. In the game, I have suggested these languages originated in Dalibor and were spread by a series of migrations. The concept is inspired by the real-life Austronesian expansion. Having most of the Malayo-Polynesian languages in Temania and Tropica matches approximately with their geographic distribution in real-life.

In addition, I would like to specifically object to the proposal to move these peoples to Seleya. In my view, you have personally done good work in helping to improve the cultural protocols of the continent, specifically by introducing various indigenous peoples of South America. Seleya being primarily based on the Americas is realistic and coherent (though I acknowledge there are outliers, principally Aldegar). I do not object to the inclusion of Filipinos in Tukarali due to the existing role-play history that justifies it but I do not think it would beneficial to add more Southeast Asian peoples to the region.
jamescfm

Postby Polites » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:13 am

That's fair, and to be honest this has never been a hill I was willing to die on. Thank you for your response and for the well reasoned arguments.
Polites

Postby jamescfm » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:10 pm

The feedback period has concluded and the country description has been updated. Please continue to share any concerns, queries or suggestions in this thread.
jamescfm

Return to Feedback