French Presidential Election, 2017

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Who do you support for President of France?

François Fillon (LR)
10%
Benoit Hamon (PS)
8%
Emmanuel Macron (EM)
31%
François Bayrou (MoDem)
No votes
Jean-Luc Mélenchon (PdG)
18%
Marine Le Pen (FN)
31%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes : 49

Re: French Presidential Election, 2017

Postby Hrafn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Alain Delors wrote:I think you'd fit well into the Fillon camp, he has been very critical of multiculturalism and immigration as of lately

Since my French is rusty, can you (or some other Francophone) elaborate on what Fillon's policy is?

Alain Delors wrote:By the way, the only Le Pen I would consider voting for is Marion Maréchal-Le Pen - for obvious reasons (do google her).

Because she is hot?
Hrafn

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 am

Alain Delors wrote:I think you'd fit well into the Fillon camp, he has been very critical of multiculturalism and immigration as of lately and generally supports a more brazenly right-wing agenda than most Gaullists (if he can be labeled a Gaullist as at). The one issue where he annoys me (and I identify as a strong Filloniste) is his pro-EU stance, but it used to be worse. With regards to how much the FN has changed, my impression is that some of the moderation that has taken place was genuine, although on the economic flank they have actually radicalized themselves and now support ultra-statist dirigism (Le Pen senior, horrible as he was, was more ambiguous about economics - in the 70s, he had a radically libertarian economic platform before shifting to a more populist approach).
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I'd go Dupont-Aignan in the first round and Fillon in the second. Just wish the later could be more Eurosceptic as you say, I mean the ECR is probably begging for another mainstream centre-right party to legitimize them now that the Tories are on their way out.

Alain Delors wrote:By the way, the only Le Pen I would consider voting for is Marion Maréchal-Le Pen - for obvious reasons (do google her).

In case anyone is wondering what Alain is talking about:

Veux-tu sortir, belle madame? :oops:

(of ocurse she's married and belongs to the SSPX, but apart from that I just might have a chance, in my imagination.... :D )

Hrafn wrote:Because she is hot?

Don't worry mate, we might not have Marion Maréchal-Le Pen but you can always put a mark for Bieler next election and pretend that means you're going to date her. I'm sure no one did that in 2014. Absolutely not. :mrgreen:
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Postby Alain Delors » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Hrafn wrote:Since my French is rusty, can you (or some other Francophone) elaborate on what Fillon's policy is?

With regards to Fillon's views on the issue of immigration and multiculturalism, he has been very outspoken and has insisted on France not being a multicultural country and that it should never, ever become one. He also defines the concept being French as a clear-cut identity and not as merely the sum of "diverse" communities. I've heard him speak about how Christians and Jews are loyal to the Republic while simultaneously describing radical Islamism as a kind of fascism as bad as the Nazis. I was stunned by the degree of blunt talk coming from a mainstream centre-right politician - here in Germany he would probably be labeled a far-right loon by the CDU and the subject of endless condemnations from Chancellor Merkel.

With regards to his concrete policies he has been vague - while he has a very detailled economic agenda all worked out, his social policy have been mostly slogans so far, although he is a policy wonk and will probably become more concrete as the race progresses. I remember him calling for the deportation of suspected terrorist sympathizers and vowing to subject Islam to something along the lines of "strict administrative control" from the part of the state.

Oh, and with regards to Marion...

I can't help myself, but I would HAVE to vote for her if she represented my district... uncomfortable as her economic views would make me feel.

A cousin of mine who lives in Nice has met her once at a rally when she ran for governor of the PACA region against Mayor Estrosi (he doesn't even support the FN). He took a picture with her and displays it on his nightstand :D
GRAND NATIONAL PARTY/RALLY FOR THE REPUBLIC
300 years of Dranish libertarianism
Liberty will prevail
Alain Delors

Postby matthewleitch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Just thought I would put this out there, I am not French, but I am fascinated by French politics. I support Fillon :)
4042-4190: Baltusian Republican Party (Baltusia)
4190- : Republican Party (Cildania)

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there’d be a shortage of sand.” -Milton Friedman
matthewleitch

Postby Alain Delors » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 pm

French politics is quite fascinating indeed, I think it's partially because of the imperial grandeur of the presidency and the almost folkloristic distinction between left and right that serves as the major cleavage to this day.
Liberty will prevail
Alain Delors

Postby Hrafn » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Warlock wrote:Don't worry mate, we might not have Marion Maréchal-Le Pen but you can always put a mark for Bieler next election and pretend that means you're going to date her. I'm sure no one did that in 2014. Absolutely not. :mrgreen:

So, isn't Hanna Wigh candidating? ;)
Hrafn

Postby Alain Delors » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Yikes. It looks like Fillon is toast. That recent expenses scandal really took a hit on his poll numbers. France is abuzz with talk that the Republicans will have to switch candidates if he is indicted - so that might help Juppé or Sarkozy launch a comeback.

Seriously, I don't know who I would support in Fillon's place. Juppé is a very intelligent man, but in the debate against Fillon he declared himself to be a typical "diversity is strength" progressive on cultural issues and said that Fillon's economic ideas went too far. As for Sarkozy, I have supported him before, but I don't know if he can really beat Macron or Le Pen, he is not the most credible standard-bearer for reform.
Liberty will prevail
Alain Delors

Postby Hrafn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Alain Delors wrote:Yikes. It looks like Fillon is toast. That recent expenses scandal really took a hit on his poll numbers. France is abuzz with talk that the Republicans will have to switch candidates if he is indicted - so that might help Juppé or Sarkozy launch a comeback.

Seriously, I don't know who I would support in Fillon's place. Juppé is a very intelligent man, but in the debate against Fillon he declared himself to be a typical "diversity is strength" progressive on cultural issues and said that Fillon's economic ideas went too far. As for Sarkozy, I have supported him before, but I don't know if he can really beat Macron or Le Pen, he is not the most credible standard-bearer for reform.

Merde!

I really hope that Fillon doesn't drop out, because I want the final round to be Fillon vs Le Pen. Without Fillon it may be Macron, and that would be a disaster.

What we need is a scandal involving Macron. C'mon Russian hackers, help us out! :P
Hrafn

Postby jamescfm » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby TPPDJT » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Hrafn wrote:I really hope that Fillon doesn't drop out, because I want the final round to be Fillon vs Le Pen. Without Fillon it may be Macron, and that would be a disaster.

Not very well versed in French politics but it seems the Left is having something of a hard time (no surprise there in 2017). What's wrong with Macron?

Also is there anyway of doing an updated poll?

Here is a great resource for polls- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... tion,_2017

Marcon is a pragmatist social liberal who subscribes to the false song of third way economics. Worst of all, he is staunchly pro-EU.
"Whoever excommunicates me, excommunicates God." - Girolamo Savonarola

"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." - Desiderius Erasmus
TPPDJT

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic