If you were...

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

If you were the leader of a nation, would you support the reformists in Iran openly?

Yes, no doubt about it
29%
Yes, but only if the government is being too oppressive
5%
Maybe, depends on how the situation helps my country
19%
Maybe, if they had a fighting chance against the regime
14%
No, it's none of our business; it's their fight, not ours
29%
No, I don't care about Iran
No votes
What's an Iran?
5%

Total votes : 21

Re: If you were...

Postby Sam » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Iran is not Communist. Thus, the normal constituency of American teenagers does not exist for Iran.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby Phlale » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 pm

To be perfectly honest, I would help the Iranian (counter?)revolutionaries if, and only if, I saw the chance for some real gains for my nation. That is the only job of a head of state in international affairs, promote their own interests, views, and values above everyone else's.
Phlale

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 pm

I'd help return the Shah.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 pm

AngryMollusc wrote:Oh for goodness sake. You give me total control of a nation, and that's the only choice I get to make? Damn it, I'd be far too busy building presidential palaces to care about Iran...

Obviously, it depends on the nation I get. If the nation in question is tiny, defenseless, neighboring Iran and without any international allies, I'd probably keep my mouth shut. Otherwise I might stretch to saying the odd nice thing about them in public.

Out of interest, why isn't there an option for people who think Iran is fine the way it is (I assume some exist) and want to help it stay that way?

There is no option for those who think Iran is fine the way it its because it is not the purpose of this poll. You cannot put two different topics in one poll. This one assumes you don't agree with the current structure of Iran. If you think it's fine, then you shouldn't vote. Do you understand now?
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Malefic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:43 pm

No doubt about it. Assuming my support wouldn't hurt the reformists more than it helps.
Malefic

Postby GreekIdiot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:20 am

Yanks, I personally don't wish to acknowledge the purpose and point of this thread and its poll. I am merely remarking upon the ridiculousness of the worldwide known arrogant, imperialistic behavior of US citizens especially, who loving poking their noses in other people's business. And don't talk, we've witnessed first hand your greedy claws here in Greece.

It's no surprise to the world that a Yank in a political forum, government official as he is, has posted a second thread with regards to the situation in Iran. You live in the US? Right? And don't throw me the same fairytale like Bush did about nuclear weapons. That was honestly the stupidest thing a government could say.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby JuliaAJA » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 am

George, while America may be Imperialistic, we don't have any withstanding feuds with our neighbors. Idiots may think Mexicans are out to get us and some may think all Canadians are Mounties, but we don't have stand-offs with them.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 am

George S.K wrote:Yanks, I personally don't wish to acknowledge the purpose and point of this thread and its poll. I am merely remarking upon the ridiculousness of the worldwide known arrogant, imperialistic behavior of US citizens especially, who loving poking their noses in other people's business. And don't talk, we've witnessed first hand your greedy claws here in Greece.

It's no surprise to the world that a Yank in a political forum, government official as he is, has posted a second thread with regards to the situation in Iran. You live in the US? Right? And don't throw me the same fairytale like Bush did about nuclear weapons. That was honestly the stupidest thing a government could say.

George, I will not argue against your opinion of Americans. I think it is very well known by now. I will only tell you with respect to the US government that we do what we have to do to keep ourselves at the top and the others at the bottom. I know it's harsh and blunt but it's the truth. Obviously, you won't hear it from anyone out there in the open like I just did. We are smarter than that.

Now, the problem I have with your statement is that you are assuming my position with respect to Iran. You are basically throwing me in the same bunch as other Americans. And by the way, more than 60% of Americans, according to recent polls, do not support any kind of military intervention in Iran. I have not hinted on my position with respect to Iran nor do I plan to in the foreseeable future.

As I explained before, polls are supposed to be strictly designed for one subject for them to show adequate and acceptable results. It, in no way, shows my position.

And yes, I work for the US government. That tell you nothing, really, especially if you don't know where exactly I work at. ;)

Now, I won't try to change your views of Americans. That is pretty much impossible barring a dramatic event in your life. And that's not my intention either. I will throw a couple of questions at you now: Is every American the same? Is every American today the same as those in the past (the ones who, for the most part, created our famous character as imperialists, etc)?
Mr.Yankees

Postby GreekIdiot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:George, I will not argue against your opinion of Americans. I think it is very well known by now. I will only tell you with respect to the US government that we do what we have to do to keep ourselves at the top and the others at the bottom. I know it's harsh and blunt but it's the truth. Obviously, you won't hear it from anyone out there in the open like I just did. We are smarter than that.

I already know that but it doesn't diminish the fact that I hate the silly-americanism going on. I will not answer your questions and I will agree with your statements, simply acknowledging the fact that we have some positions and none of us can change the other.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am

George S.K wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:George, I will not argue against your opinion of Americans. I think it is very well known by now. I will only tell you with respect to the US government that we do what we have to do to keep ourselves at the top and the others at the bottom. I know it's harsh and blunt but it's the truth. Obviously, you won't hear it from anyone out there in the open like I just did. We are smarter than that.

I already know that but it doesn't diminish the fact that I hate the silly-americanism going on. I will not answer your questions and I will agree with your statements, simply acknowledging the fact that we have some positions and none of us can change the other.

Well, George, I don't agree with this statement you made:
we have some positions and none of us can change the other.

You don't know my positions. That's my whole argument. And believe it or not, when you enter politics, you learn to be flexible with your "positions." If you don't learn to do so, you will not last long in "the game." Yes, there are a few cases where that is not necessarily true but very few here and there.

And again, nothing wrong with being anti-American but you need to know who to criticize and why before you actually do it. I don't know what's in your head but I'll like to know. Why do you think I am the typical American (not that you said that exactly but it's a good expression to describe what you have said)?
Mr.Yankees

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic