Clinton goes to North Korea and comes back...

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Did the US take the correct action by negotiating the pardoning of Euna Lee and Laura Ling?

Yes
69%
No
15%
I am not sure
8%
Who are they?
8%

Total votes : 13

Clinton goes to North Korea and comes back...

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 am

with two more passengers in his plane. I am sure you all read about it.

Here's an excerpt from an article in CNN:

Two U.S. journalists who had been detained by North Korea were traveling back to the United States with former President Clinton hours after being pardoned, a Clinton spokesman said.

"They are en route to Los Angeles [California] where Laura and Euna will be reunited with their families," said spokesman Matt McKenna.

Doug Ling, Laura's father, reacted to the news outside his home in Carmichael, California, with, "One of the best days in my life ... I figured, sooner or later, they'd be back."

In Los Angeles, family friend Welly Yang said the Ling family had "done everything they could, while respecting the North Korean government, to try and get Laura home."

He predicted that Ling would remain a journalist. "Despite this terrifying experience, I can't imagine that Laura would give up her passion to tell stories that otherwise wouldn't be heard."

Their release Wednesday came after Clinton met with top government officials in Pyongyang.

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view.

"The meetings had candid and in-depth discussions on the pending issues between the DPRK and the U.S. in a sincere atmosphere and reached a consensus of views on seeking a negotiated settlement of them." Video Watch Ling's father welcome his daughter's pardon »

The report said Clinton then conveyed a message from President Obama "expressing profound thanks for this and reflecting views on ways of improving the relations between the two countries."

But White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters in Washington before the announced agreement that Clinton was not carrying any message -- written or oral -- from Obama.

Gibbs added that the former president last spoke with Obama during a White House visit in March. He described Clinton's trip as a "solely private mission to secure the release of two Americans."

The report from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the nation's official name, described the agreement to release the journalists as "a manifestation of the DPRK's humanitarian and peace-loving policy.

"The DPRK visit of Clinton and his party will contribute to deepening the understanding between the DPRK and the U.S. and building the bilateral confidence."

Ling and Lee are reporters for California-based Current TV -- a media venture launched by Clinton's former vice president, Al Gore.

The women were arrested in March while reporting from the border between North Korea and China for California-based Current Media and sentenced in June to 12 years in prison on charges of entering the country illegally to conduct a smear campaign. Because the United States has no diplomatic relations with North Korea, efforts to resolve the issue had been handled through Sweden, which represents U.S. interests in Pyongyang.

So, did the United States take the correct action by negotiating the pardoning of those two journalists? Please answer poll above and feel free to debate the topic and post your opinion.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Re: Clinton goes to North Korea and comes back...

Postby Xanathos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 am

Well technically, America didnt take any action whatsoever. Mr Clinton is a private citizen and the visit was made by him privately. I think its worth noting.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby JuliaAJA » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:38 am

I think that it shows that when the feds won't do their job, Former Presidents have to do it for them. I feel that we should have elected Hillary in the last election, she could have officialized her husband's noble journey.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby MrBean111 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am

I thought it was the right move; it was either get them back or have them die in some prison on North Korea. I don't know her name (Euna I think) but when she stepped off the airplane, she looked like a stick; when you compare the before and after pictures, she lost major weight and strength on top of it. Clinton is a private citizen yes but I'm sure there was some federal government involvement or Clinton is just a damn good diplomat who gets more for giving little.
The Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets"
MrBean111

Postby PresMusharraf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:37 pm

For those who know I am a Republican, do not assume that is why I make this judgment:

I am afraid that fmr. President Clinton had only a little bit to do with the release of these journalists. As much as I hate to say it, because I seriously would rather just mark this down as a W for the fmr. Prez, I believe North Korea had this planned all along. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but how does a country that aggressively refuses outside contact and international pressure just suddenly release prisoners because a former U.S. president strolls by? I fear that this is more North Korea's doing than Clinton's. What we should be asking is what are the North Koreans up to? Who will succeed Kim Jung Il? Why this sudden show of openness to talks? When it comes to the North Koreans, I am never comfortable.
Hobrazi Union - Hobrazia (Inactive)
Luterani Útocný Strany - Deltaria (Active)
Lutherans of Keymon - Keymon (Inactive)
Corrupt Dealings Party - Baltusia/Kabushika/Celestia (Inactive)
I miss banners.
PresMusharraf

Postby Khaler » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Funny thing is that the major western media makes it sound like no-one is allowed into North Korea, which is a blatant lie. Many Europeans and other nationalities are allowed to travel there as tourists etc, just not Americans, Britons, South-Koreans and Japanese. And maybe some other Nato-countries. Sure it is not as easy as going to Thailand for example, but it is not that hard. I even know personally people who have been there.

But I agree with Pres that this looks like a set-up by the North-Koreans. They intended to release the journalists eventually anyway, that was their plan from the beginning.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Xanathos wrote:Well technically, America didnt take any action whatsoever. Mr Clinton is a private citizen and the visit was made by him privately. I think its worth noting.

According to what I know, former President Clinton had pretty much nothing to do with it. He only went there to make it look good since the United States does not have formal diplomatic relations with North Korea. What that means is that the State Department negotiated the release and sent President Clinton there to pick them up.

As far as I know, the United States formally requested a pardon of the two journalists which was, at the end, honored by Kim Jong-il.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby PresMusharraf » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Khaler wrote:Funny thing is that the major western media makes it sound like no-one is allowed into North Korea, which is a blatant lie. Many Europeans and other nationalities are allowed to travel there as tourists etc, just not Americans, Britons, South-Koreans and Japanese. And maybe some other Nato-countries. Sure it is not as easy as going to Thailand for example, but it is not that hard. I even know personally people who have been there.

We have a South Korean Foreign Exchange Student at home. He makes it sound a lot harder than you just did. Anyone from the South is arrested.

But I agree with Pres that this looks like a set-up by the North-Koreans. They intended to release the journalists eventually anyway, that was their plan from the beginning.

Indeed. What are they up to? Are they tired of the international pressure (unlikely, they've had this sort of thing many times before)? What are their motives?
Hobrazi Union - Hobrazia (Inactive)
Luterani Útocný Strany - Deltaria (Active)
Lutherans of Keymon - Keymon (Inactive)
Corrupt Dealings Party - Baltusia/Kabushika/Celestia (Inactive)
I miss banners.
PresMusharraf

Postby JosephJ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:54 am

I find it unbelievable that we are seven posts into this thread and no-one's made a remark about Clinton and nubile young women.
I WAS A MODERATOR
I WAS NOT VERY GOOD
JosephJ

Postby JuliaAJA » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 am

I choose to believe that Bill Clinton did what the feds wouldn't. If the feds had any part in it, they would have acknowledged that. If Yankees knows secrets, I'm sure he can't tell us.

Also, I think that the North Koreans were trying to annoy Obama by giving the Journalist to Clinton.

JosephJ, grow up and get a life.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Next

Return to Off-topic