Swearing?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Do you think swearing on Particracy is a problem?

Poll ended at Sat May 09, 2009 2:12 am

Yes.
32%
No.
68%

Total votes : 19

Swearing?

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:12 am

Thought this might be interesting, what does the community have to say?

Moderation thread relating to this is here:

http://forum.particracy.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=181
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Re: Swearing?

Postby Jay (LDP) » Sat May 02, 2009 9:01 am

My opinion is that occasionally people swear when it comes to heated debates, but it's not a "problem" to the extent some have been implying. It's really not a big issue at all - and the moderation stance of not out-lawing it and dealing with it on a case-by-case basis seems appropriate. But that's just my opinion.
Particracy Game Moderator

Vanukese Conservatieven
Jay (LDP)

Postby Molotov » Sat May 02, 2009 9:49 am

I know there's a link to the thread in moderation:

I just thought it would be a good idea to not allow it in threads pertaining directly to stuff in-game, so that there's zero chance of anyone being put off if they're just reviewing the forum for help or whatnot. I'm definitely not against swearing as a linguistic device and when used OOC not as a personal attack, but I know that lots of people don't like it and it might make the OOC game environment more appealing and/or more professional.

Also I don't think it's a problem as such, just that some people might consider it a problem. Also, in my personal experience, enforcing little rules (like civility, or in sports a dress code for example) means that the big problems are easier to deal with when they do occur.
Molotov

Postby TPD » Sat May 02, 2009 11:13 am

As long as it's not overused or idiotic I don't see a problem.
TPD

Postby Sam » Sat May 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Swearing in itself isn't a problem. If it's used to insult another player then it is, but there's nothing wrong with swearing other then that.
"The FSB finally caught him for talking shit about replacing Putin with this "Saiser" character. I'm guessing they're up to his seventh toenail by now."
- Dynastia on jethro
Sam

Postby Khaler » Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Swearing should not be allowed in-game and in any OOC conversations in the roleplaying section. In RP, it should be allowed. Politicians can use swear words. In all other discussions like off-topic and General Discussion it should be allowed.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby AngryMollusc » Sat May 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Frankly, if there's a problem with people's attitudes (not that there is anyway) restricting the language they can use isn't going to change that.
AngryMollusc

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat May 02, 2009 3:19 pm

On the contrary, RPing should be attempted without profanities. Off-topic discussions and game related threads shouldn't have any restrictions. And as Sam said, unless the profanity is used, directly or not, to insult another player, than swearing ain't a problem. It only becomes a problem when people like Yankees consider myself particularly as a spoiled rat who can't distinguish maturity and emotion. Swearing becomes a problem when you say it becomes, when you think the absence of swearing will cultivate a higher educational level. On the contrary, swearing is the etiquete of the liberated mind, of the one who fears not to express himself. And I don't mean using profanities against someone else, merely on a discussion(e.x like discussions where Dynastia and jethro have participated). We ain't stupid here.

AngryMollusc, agreed. In fact, excessive liberty, with banishment of exceptional cases, can improve things. Limiting the boundaries of linguistic liberty may produce a quite negative result - outcry, uprising?
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby elryacko » Sat May 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Sissies.

Don't Panic
elryacko

Return to Off-topic