Corporate vs Communism

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Corporate vs Communism

Postby jethro » Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Opakidabar wrote:
EmperorsFlag wrote:A corporation explicitly exists for the purpose of making money for its shareholders. The more you pay employees, the less money you keep in profits.

You still have to motivate people, so making them equally poor is wrong decision. How would you make population to learn stuff if there is no difference between low-skilled salaries and R&D engineer salary?
Unless your corporation uses low-skilled work force only (which is a waste of potential human resource) there is always a need for high skilled jobs.

So, you should pay them good to make them quality work (or they should feel they are paid good - which is where relative wages (not absolute) comes in, i.e. I want to make more money than neighbor and in case he earns 3$ and I earn 5$, I am happy and motivated).

Re-read 1984. It captures this aspect of the society you're talking about perfectly. Oceania mastered the way to keep everyone dirt poor with their noses to the grind and everyone in the whole damn country being little more than slaves, while at the same time having constant class differences in a very stark pyramid model.
jethro

Postby Opakidabar » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm

jethro wrote:Re-read 1984. It captures this aspect of the society you're talking about perfectly. Oceania mastered the way to keep everyone dirt poor with their noses to the grind and everyone in the whole damn country being little more than slaves, while at the same time having constant class differences in a very stark pyramid model.

Yeah, that is what I meant, but instead of class differences my people would have a giant promotion chain to achieve. They would run like a squirrels in a wheel (not sure how this saying translates to English correctly) to get to the next level, and the next, and the next...
Life full of challenges as they say ;)
Opakidabar

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue May 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Karma works well, on the other hand. Leave the pesky little levels out and keep everything leveled and brainwashed completely. Introduce something addictive that focuses entirely on emotions, most preferably sex, and you still have people motivated. Discourage alternative behavior with punishments and compulsory abstinence from sex. No leader, no centralized rule, just the simple old by the people, for the people.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Opakidabar » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 pm

George S.K wrote:Karma works well, on the other hand. Leave the pesky little levels out and keep everything leveled and brainwashed completely. Introduce something addictive that focuses entirely on emotions, most preferably sex, and you still have people motivated. Discourage alternative behavior with punishments and compulsory abstinence from sex.

It will be level system, because of what I saw for PC games. Everyone want to develop their char to the next level - they pay attention to no sleep, no sex, no food until next level is reached. I guess same thing should work in reality as well.
Opakidabar

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 pm

I am a man who believes that with the delicate combination of the emotional human nature and perfectly aligned propaganda any system can work, only if it is slowly and most indirectly implemented in a global society (considering facts like resources, availability, technology and everything that affects our daily lives beforehand of course). Globalization can help spread the same idea. Adults who play PC games and set aside everything else are simply people who need some discipline by a completely undemocratic but equally fair authority.

edit: in a perfectly leveled society, there are no factors that lead someone towards advancing to the next level. Of course there will be people who, like criminals, go against our fully consented and globally agreed laws prohibiting murder, but there is a punishment to face, and people, out of fear or out of their good hearts, will learn to obey them. Maybe the whole distinction between good and evil should also be reformed and altered. Good will mean to work like this, and constitutionally and legislatively, faced legally by penalty, proved bad will mean to focus on yourself purely. Socialization at its fullest. I'd love to hear jethro's extensive response to all of my rubbish, unless of course he considers them purely just that.
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby jethro » Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 am

George seems to be running along the lines of Brave New World. Also a good system. Not really my type of system, but a sound one nonetheless. Read it (or reread it), it'll give you some great ideas.
jethro

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed May 13, 2009 4:50 am

Yup, I've read it. Both 1984 and Brave New World fall into the category of the best books I've ever read.
The Terran Times
GreekIdiot

Postby Opakidabar » Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 am

I am stubborn, Obshestroi will have levels in Triguniya and everywhere it happens to work. Simply because there were no such things in 1984 and Brave New World. I love experiments, what to do? Pity, they are not real people there... :(
Opakidabar

Postby Molotov » Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 pm

jethro wrote:George seems to be running along the lines of Brave New World. Also a good system. Not really my type of system, but a sound one nonetheless. Read it (or reread it), it'll give you some great ideas.

What? Good how?

Huxley's brave new world is one in which humanity is dead. If you think that's good, you're insane (although I already suspected that ;))
Molotov

Postby jethro » Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Molotov wrote:
jethro wrote:George seems to be running along the lines of Brave New World. Also a good system. Not really my type of system, but a sound one nonetheless. Read it (or reread it), it'll give you some great ideas.

What? Good how?

Huxley's brave new world is one in which humanity is dead. If you think that's good, you're insane (although I already suspected that ;))

I'm being intensely sarcastic. I'm defining "good" in terms of Opakidabar's desire to create an absolutist corporate totalitarian state. To achieve that there really are two basic systems to follow, the "rule by terror, fear, domestic espionage and secret police" which reaches its literary pinnacle in 1984 and which is very much reflected in my Saiserist League. At the opposite (but in some ways eerily similar) philosophy of totalitarian thought you have the "rule by drugs, citizen stupidity, cultural vacuum and contentment engineered by mindless entertainment" which comes to its head in Brave New World, although another excellent (if lesser-known, and admittedly not quite as good but nonetheless excellent) book that follows a similar line of thought is Zarmatyan's We. I'm simply acknowledging that keeping the populace drugged up to its ears and pumping their heads full of movies and sex is just as viable a method of maintaining absolute totalitarian control as banning everything, setting up cameras everywhere and establishing an omnipresent secret police.
jethro

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic