U.S. Presidential Line of Succession

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Can an Acting Secretary (i.e. State, Defense, etc.) become President?

Yes
13%
No
52%
Yes but only if it is because of incapacity of a sitting President
9%
Yes but only if the sitting President dies or is removed permanently from office
4%
Impossible to tell. Some Secretaries are not part of the line of succession
22%

Total votes : 23

U.S. Presidential Line of Succession

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed May 13, 2009 5:12 am

I would appreciate your contribution to this poll. Please, be honest and don't look it up on the Internet. This is for statistical purposes only. Thanks!
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Re: U.S. Presidential Line of Succession

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 am

Some are excluded because they are not eligible to be president.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed May 13, 2009 5:18 am

I think you read too much into that last option. I will explain further once the poll has sufficient votes. Thanks for participating Jessaveryja.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed May 13, 2009 5:26 am

Mr.Yankees wrote:I think you read too much into that last option. I will explain further once the poll has sufficient votes. Thanks for participating Jessaveryja.

I was thinking on this subject just today, I was surprised to see it here. You're welcome.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Woxor » Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I guessed "no," but because of the existence of this poll, I'm guessing that you're aware of a surprising answer of some sort.
Woxor

Postby Molotov » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Of course it's no. One has to be a member of one of the great dynasties to become President (The House of Bush, the House of Kennedy and so on), although succession is rarely by direct male primogeniture, instead there is a system of rotation, with dynasts of one line handing over for a time to dynasts of another for a period not in excess of eight years. It's a very interesting system. Presumably one of the current dynastic President's courtiers (known colloquially as 'Secretaries of State' - selected by the President to serve him and administer, through a similar system of patronage, his civil service) have to be a member of one of the dynasties in order to qualify for the Presidency in the case of his and his his most trusted servant's (his 'Vice') untimely demise.

Although it is interesting that the present President is of dubious descent, it is possible there has been some sort of shift in the system, and in future Presidents will be chosen on the basis of their skin colour and taste for certain smokable herbs. I think, though, that this is only a temporary blip and the enduring system remains intact.
Molotov

Postby Khaler » Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Do you want to know how we do it in europe? We elect another. Democracy, you know?
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby YankeeHater » Wed May 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Khaler wrote:Do you want to know how we do it in europe? We elect another. Democracy, you know?

That explains why Gerald Ford hated Europe.
YankeeHater

Postby Gesar » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 am

After like six people, the Secretary of State becomes President. I think.
Gesar

Postby Woxor » Thu May 14, 2009 12:54 am

Molotov wrote:Of course it's no. One has to be a member of one of the great dynasties to become President (The House of Bush, the House of Kennedy and so on), although succession is rarely by direct male primogeniture, instead there is a system of rotation, with dynasts of one line handing over for a time to dynasts of another for a period not in excess of eight years.

House of Bush: check.
House of Kennedy: err, well, only one president, but some of the rest of the family is politically noteworthy, so okay.
House of Adams: check.
House of Roosevelt: not really.
House of Harrison: not really.
House of Clinton: not really.

All in all, not really much of a dynastic system, considering that there have been 43 of them.
Woxor

Next

Return to Off-topic