Paranoia

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Paranoia

Postby Molotov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:00 am

FantasyGrounds is well worth the money if you want to play and run tabletop games regularly online though. The only problems I've found with it is that the text is a little small, especially since it's all in different colours (unfixable by changing screen resolution) and that the interface is at first unusual. You have to right-click everything to bring up a sort of pop-up menu in order to close/minimise, and the icons are odd (to close it is an axe). Probably wouldn't get Jakob Nielsen's seal of approval, but it looks really nice. The DM can even change the colour of the background depending on the time of day/weather/location, and the ability to upload lots of notes/maps/pictures and send to certain players instantly is very handy. I think they've done quite well at making it like a tabletop and easy to use as is probably possible on a computer. Not that I'm an expert, I've never played a tabletop game in real life, my friends were always too depressingly normal. I mean, why would you want to play rugby on a sunny day when you could kill dragons? ;)
Molotov

Postby Aethers » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Well I'll grant that it could possibly be worth it if you like all those bells and whistles for your gaming. Personally I've never played an online tabletop RPG with anything more advanced than text-based chat, except for one brief attempt at 4th-edition D&D that did not end well. (And for that, I used one of the zillions of free programs that do maps.)
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Postby Molotov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm

I think the main attraction is that it lets you get in touch easily, and play games easily, with thousands of other people who want to play (in addition to the fanciness). You don't have to know anyone in advance or anything like that.
Molotov

Postby Aethers » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Ah, I couldn't tell from the website that it had a matchmaker function too. Yeah, that is a huge difference. I was thinking that for a group to split $100 or more so they all could play is rather unreasonable, but if players can use the software to find GMs online I might just check it out.
Aethers

Postby Aethers » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

So is this still on for tomorrow? Is chargen done beforehand or during the session?
Aethers

Previous

Return to Off-topic