Particracy Player Profiles

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Particracy Player Profiles

Postby Chazza » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Zongxian wrote:But, the basic reasons I like the BZÖ and what they want for Austria: Flat Tax, Abolition of Inheritance Tax, Compulsory Pre-School, Compulsory German Lessons for Immigrants, Neutrality, Strict Asylum Laws, Tax Breaks on Childcare Costs, Support for Small Businesses, Increase of Direct Democracy, etc.

Did you just copy those off wikipedia?
Chazza

Postby Zongxian » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Chazza wrote:
Zongxian wrote:But, the basic reasons I like the BZÖ and what they want for Austria: Flat Tax, Abolition of Inheritance Tax, Compulsory Pre-School, Compulsory German Lessons for Immigrants, Neutrality, Strict Asylum Laws, Tax Breaks on Childcare Costs, Support for Small Businesses, Increase of Direct Democracy, etc.

Did you just copy those off wikipedia?

The main place I went was Wikipedia and from there to the party's actual site to make sure those are actually their views. I'm being lazy.. :?
Zongxian

Postby Chazza » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Zongxian wrote:The main place I went was Wikipedia and from there to the party's actual site to make sure those are actually their views. I'm being lazy.. :?

Do they actually say direct democracy on their website? I'm just interested as it's not often you hear political parties using the phrase.
Chazza

Postby Zongxian » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Chazza wrote:
Zongxian wrote:The main place I went was Wikipedia and from there to the party's actual site to make sure those are actually their views. I'm being lazy.. :?

Do they actually say direct democracy on their website? I'm just interested as it's not often you hear political parties using the phrase.

In the "Programm" section under "Freiheit" they have listed as one of their goals to establish more direct democracy:

Orange Ziele & Antworten
Schutz und Wahrung der Freiheit - Maximale Freiheit des Menschen - Der demokratische Rechtsstaat als Garant der Freiheit - So viel Freiheit als möglich, so wenig Staat als nötig - Etablierung einer freisinnigen, solidarischen Gesellschaft - Mehr direkte Demokratie - Schutz von Minderheiten und Verhinderung von Ausgrenzung.

Rough Translation:
Orange Goals & Answers:
Protection & Preservation of Freedom - The Freedom of Man - The Democratic Rule of Law as the Guarantor of Freedom - As Much Freedom As Possible, As Little Government As Necessary - The Establishment of a Free-Loving, Caring Society - More Direct Democracy - The Protection of Minorities & The Prevention of Exclusion
Zongxian

Postby utoronto » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:43 am

Party Name and Nation: Parti progressiste-conservateur, Rildanor
General Location: Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada
General Political Affiliation: Conservative Party of Canada/Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario
General Religious Affiliation: Christian
Professional Goal/Current Occupation: Teacher, currently a UToronto student studying History and Religion.
Favorite genre of music: Pop punk (i.e. Relient K), Christian rock/CCM (i.e. Starfield)
Hobbies: Blogging, Particracy
NationStates Nation Name: Arbores Canadia
Other Information: N/A
Last edited by utoronto on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platforma Walruzyjska
utoronto

Location: RL: Poland+France+Canada / IC: Rzeczpospolita Walruzyjska

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Zongxian wrote:
Ha, I had a feeling someone might question that. :lol:
When I look at the policies of the BZÖ, all them fall very close to my views; and like I said, except the euroskepticism.
Most of the controversy with the party comes from Jörg Haider having made some politically incorrect comparisons between things, that may have been true, but definitely stirred up some trouble. Haider was even spied on by paranoid Mossad agents.

But, the basic reasons I like the BZÖ and what they want for Austria: Flat Tax, Abolition of Inheritance Tax, Compulsory Pre-School, Compulsory German Lessons for Immigrants, Neutrality, Strict Asylum Laws, Tax Breaks on Childcare Costs, Support for Small Businesses, Increase of Direct Democracy, etc.

They make it sound real nice, but there is hardly any evidence for this program in realpolitik. I mean, I've never heard a BZÖ official say that they actually want a Flat Tax, the Inheritance Tax has been abolished by the OGH. The other stuff is more or less xenophobia phrased nicely, and the basic stuff every party says, like direct democracy and helping the Mittelstand. The only thing they articulate sometimes, and which would make them a bit nicer, is their policy considering Childcare.

I'd say that most of their controversity is well earned, as Haider was the only really important figure the party had. Now they are not much more than a Carinthia-only party, and I think they'll gradually loose their voters to Strache or either SPÖ or ÖVP.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Zongxian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am

Amazeroth wrote:
Zongxian wrote:
Ha, I had a feeling someone might question that. :lol:
When I look at the policies of the BZÖ, all them fall very close to my views; and like I said, except the euroskepticism.
Most of the controversy with the party comes from Jörg Haider having made some politically incorrect comparisons between things, that may have been true, but definitely stirred up some trouble. Haider was even spied on by paranoid Mossad agents.

But, the basic reasons I like the BZÖ and what they want for Austria: Flat Tax, Abolition of Inheritance Tax, Compulsory Pre-School, Compulsory German Lessons for Immigrants, Neutrality, Strict Asylum Laws, Tax Breaks on Childcare Costs, Support for Small Businesses, Increase of Direct Democracy, etc.

They make it sound real nice, but there is hardly any evidence for this program in realpolitik. I mean, I've never heard a BZÖ official say that they actually want a Flat Tax, the Inheritance Tax has been abolished by the OGH. The other stuff is more or less xenophobia phrased nicely, and the basic stuff every party says, like direct democracy and helping the Mittelstand. The only thing they articulate sometimes, and which would make them a bit nicer, is their policy considering Childcare.

I'd say that most of their controversity is well earned, as Haider was the only really important figure the party had. Now they are not much more than a Carinthia-only party, and I think they'll gradually loose their voters to Strache or either SPÖ or ÖVP.

So many people like to label the BZÖ, and many other parties in Europe too, as xenophobic. The only reason these party get this term is because of their support for strict limitations on immigration and the party's recognition of the dangers facing Europe; and the simple fact that some of those dangers are within the groups that make up the majority of immigrants to Europe. The true xenophobic parties are the ones that are members of organizations like the European National Front.

I will not disagree that the party may lose some voters and Haider was the main person, but I don't feel they'll become a Carinthia-only party, there are still Austrians who hold the ideals of the BZÖ who won't just drop their affiliation to go the the FPÖ or ÖVP because of Haider's death.
Zongxian

Postby Amazeroth » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Zongxian wrote:
So many people like to label the BZÖ, and many other parties in Europe too, as xenophobic. The only reason these party get this term is because of their support for strict limitations on immigration and the party's recognition of the dangers facing Europe; and the simple fact that some of those dangers are within the groups that make up the majority of immigrants to Europe. The true xenophobic parties are the ones that are members of organizations like the European National Front.

Supporting strict limitations on immigration, at least in Austria, is strange. The immigrants in Austria are a select few, most of them from "civilised" western European countries, and not even relevant in crime statistics. The people everyone's afraid of are the asylants. The problem with parties like the BZÖ, and much more the FPÖ of course, are that they never differ between these groups, thus pretending that the asylants are a group like immigrants, where there's no moral problem with sending them back. They also don't ask why there is so much crime amongst the asylants (because they are poorer than the average Austrian native, for example), but attribute their criminal behaviour to the fact that their "immigrants". That's what makes them xenophobic in my eyes.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby meritocracy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Party Name and Nation: Solentian Radical Nationalist Party
General Location: Tennessee
General Political Affiliation: member of the Modern Whig Party of the United States (moderate/pragmatist)
General Religious Affiliation: Gnostic Christian
Professional Goal/Current Occupation: systems analyst
Relationship status: engaged
Favorite genre of music: lots of stuff. not really into zydeco. otherwise most anything.
Level of School: college somewhere way back when
Hobbies: I'm a dad with two kids. what are these hobbies you speak of? Uh canoeing, winemaking, fillipino martial arts. I play tin whistle and mountain duclimer once in awhile.
NationStates Nation Name: Shatneria (inactive for many many years).
Other Assistant editor of http://hypersonictales.com
meritocracy

Postby Lusk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:16 am

Party Name and Nation: House Lusk-National Syndicalist Party
General Location: Eastern USA
General Political Affiliation: Prussianism, Revisionist Zionism, Right-Hegelianism
General Religious Affiliation: Conservative Judaism
Professional Goal/Current Occupation: Librarian
Relationship status: up in the air
Favorite genre of music: post-metal, progressive rock
Level of School: BA in Latin
Hobbies: German, history, paranormal, general paranoia
NationStates Nation Name: Athamasha (inactive?)
Other: Not much
Lusk

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic