Italy is doomed

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Italy is doomed

Postby Aethers » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:11 am

Khaler wrote:
When I said we're a secular nation, I meant something much simpler: We as a nation are not founded on any religious principles.

Well, pretty much every western country can say that. Do you know why? Because they can CHANGE their consitution! They might have not been secular once, but they have evolved and changed their "Founding Document", which is something you can never do. Eventually, you will be left behind when other nations will evolve.

I just like to update the thing Molotov said about Britain; most of the other western countries are based on the principles of today, principles of of us who live in these countries, not on some old hags who have been dead for 200 years now.

Your nation is not a true democracy if it is dictated by people who have been dead for centuries.

People who have been dead for centuries don't get a vote. (Hey, even the Chicago machine was never quite that bad.)

Keep in mind that the rights of individuals protected in a nation's constitution are there for a reason. In some cases, they may be natural rights, such as those recognized by the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. In other cases, they are integral to the social framework, such as the US Constitution's prohibition of seizure of property without fair compensation. Even if those who originally wrote these rights are no longer with us, they should still not be subject to the whims of a majority. And if we the people wanted to change our Constitution, and turned out in large enough numbers, we could.

A limit on majority rule changing the constitution isn't subjection to the rule of ancestors, it's protection of minorities from electoral volatility. If our Constitution weren't serving us well, it could and would be changed.
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Previous

Return to Off-topic