Italy is doomed

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Italy is doomed

Postby Molotov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:04 pm

I agree with you, but I wouldn't include Britain. America's government, and style of government, has always been far more corrupt and hypocritical than ours. Look at Nixon. British politics has probably been the least corrupt in the world, and British politicians the most honest - I think having to be accountable to a cantankerous Parliament helps. The continent is a mess and a joke and always has been, they were better off under their autocratic monarchs.
Molotov

Postby AdJeCtIv3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Molotov wrote:Yeah, Berlusconi probably fancies himself a fascist. He looks a bit like Mussolini doesn't he? Only fatter, a little more like Jabba the Hutt.

Only surviving colour film of Mussolini, sound added from transcripts:

Thanks Molotov, I hadn't seen that in years!
I AM NOT A Image ANY MORE!!
AdJeCtIv3

Postby Aethers » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Molotov wrote:I agree with you, but I wouldn't include Britain. America's government, and style of government, has always been far more corrupt and hypocritical than ours. Look at Nixon. British politics has probably been the least corrupt in the world, and British politicians the most honest - I think having to be accountable to a cantankerous Parliament helps. The continent is a mess and a joke and always has been, they were better off under their autocratic monarchs.

Well, I guess Britain has the advantage of having no written Constitution and so there are no rights that are supposed to trump statute for it to ignore. :P
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Postby Molotov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Hah.
Molotov

Postby Khaler » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:26 am

Molotov wrote:I agree with you, but I wouldn't include Britain. America's government, and style of government, has always been far more corrupt and hypocritical than ours. Look at Nixon. British politics has probably been the least corrupt in the world, and British politicians the most honest - I think having to be accountable to a cantankerous Parliament helps. The continent is a mess and a joke and always has been, they were better off under their autocratic monarchs.

Blaablaablaa, All Hail Britannia! The greatest country in everything!

No, seriously dude...
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Molotov » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Yes, seriously. I've studied politics for what, five years? Objectively, I believe that Britain's political system is superior to those on the continent (and America's), and that British politics is generally less corrupt than both European and American politics. This isn't a matter of argument, it's a matter of fact. Just look at Italy, they don't even make any effort to pretend they aren't all crooks.

As for being 'hypocritical', I think the American nation and the American government is the most hypocritical in the world and always has been, ever since they founded a nation on immutable liberal ideals and then proceeded to own slaves in the hundreds of thousands.
Molotov

Postby Aethers » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:34 pm

And yet without the "immutable liberal ideals" first proven in America, most of Europe (Britain being a notable exception) would still be ruled by monarchs. Hypocrisy isn't the worst that can happen to a country's politics. Apathy is far, far worse, as is ignorance of possibility for improvement. After all, a hypocrite is someone who lays out the direction to reform and then refuses to do the work. They've at least got the first step down.

PS: I'd rather have a hypocrite like Jefferson running our country than an amoral bastard like Calhoun who objects to the very thought that there's anything wrong with slavery.
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Molotov wrote:Yes, seriously. I've studied politics for what, five years? Objectively, I believe that Britain's political system is superior to those on the continent (and America's), and that British politics is generally less corrupt than both European and American politics. This isn't a matter of argument, it's a matter of fact. Just look at Italy, they don't even make any effort to pretend they aren't all crooks.

As for being 'hypocritical', I think the American nation and the American government is the most hypocritical in the world and always has been, ever since they founded a nation on immutable liberal ideals and then proceeded to own slaves in the hundreds of thousands.

Well, Italy is about as civilised (in these matters) as Africa.

I wouldn't say that British politicians were less corrupt than, say, Swiss or Lichtenstein's or maybe even Germany's politicians. I think the British electional system is the best worldwide, though.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Khaler » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Molotov wrote:Yes, seriously. I've studied politics for what, five years? Objectively, I believe that Britain's political system is superior to those on the continent (and America's), and that British politics is generally less corrupt than both European and American politics. This isn't a matter of argument, it's a matter of fact. Just look at Italy, they don't even make any effort to pretend they aren't all crooks. .

Yeah. Just as, objectively, the Finnish doctors and medicine is best in the world, becaus I have studied medicine for what, four years?

We are yet again in the same thing we discssed before, that I think in nations with wide population, the knowledge of foreign nations is inferior to smaller countries.

And really, as a Scandinavian, someone boesting that they are the least corrupt, I just laugh. I know we are tiny and pathetic fuckers up here on the north and not worthy of being taught there, but still the 5 Scandinavian Countries are at the very top of the least-corrupted lists everytime.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby Molotov » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Oh quite right, I studied Sweden with regard to welfare state retrenchment. Scandinavian medicine probably is a lot better than British, my Swedish lecturer thought the NHS a complete joke. Of course, the NHS is set up to be excellent for small things, like cataracts, broken legs and so on, and has never really been geared toward care for long term and terminal illnesses, or very serious things - that's a question of emphasis, you see, as we in Britain have never really held that an individual's health is the entire responsibility of the state (with which I agree). It might be true that the Scandinavian countries are the least corrupt, too, but I still don't think Sweden's political system is superior to Britain's, having studied both (although Sweden's only in a specific area), but then in many cases in politics it's difficult to be objective looking at things like that. I make unintentional value judgements, often based on what I think a state and a political system ought to be and do.
Molotov

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic