Generic football thread

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Generic football thread

Postby Afrocentric » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:I really do dislike the 'franchise' system of American sport. There have of course been claims this is creeping into English football, as is evident by events such as the Wimbledon/MK Dons fiasco, or the Clydebank/Airdrieonians incident up here in Scotland.

Of course, the counter-argument is that America is so big, franchises are needed to ensure cities are fairly represented; many Americans think it odd that cities can have two or three top flight teams, while others have none.

But to have your team owned by the league, told where to go and treated solely as a brand, makes it all feel rather soulless. Is that why Americans aren't as passionate and attached to their teams as Europeans are? No history or heart to the club?

Woah woah woah....you obviously don't know that much about American sports. Trust me, we have some very passionate fans in our sports. I don't know where you got this idea that we don't.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby soysauce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Afrocentric wrote:
MichaelReilly wrote:I really do dislike the 'franchise' system of American sport. There have of course been claims this is creeping into English football, as is evident by events such as the Wimbledon/MK Dons fiasco, or the Clydebank/Airdrieonians incident up here in Scotland.

Of course, the counter-argument is that America is so big, franchises are needed to ensure cities are fairly represented; many Americans think it odd that cities can have two or three top flight teams, while others have none.

But to have your team owned by the league, told where to go and treated solely as a brand, makes it all feel rather soulless. Is that why Americans aren't as passionate and attached to their teams as Europeans are? No history or heart to the club?

Woah woah woah....you obviously don't know that much about American sports. Trust me, we have some very passionate fans in our sports. I don't know where you got this idea that we don't.

I think his point is that American Football (what you insist on calling Soccer) matches are fairly peaceful, as opposed to the occasional Riots and regular fights we have here,
soysauce

Postby meisme » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm

soysauce wrote:
Afrocentric wrote:

I think his point is that American Football (what you insist on calling Soccer) matches are fairly peaceful, as opposed to the occasional Riots and regular fights we have here,

Well, everytime LA wins/lose a championship I always hear of riots there. As for fighting, fines are steep when it comes to players brawling each other (unless it's hockey, where that is a part of the game). That could be the reason. It used to be that way, but then rules and regulations came along to end it.
meisme

Location: Being taken to the gates of Valhalla, all shiny and chrome

Postby elryacko » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 am

meisme wrote:
soysauce wrote:
Afrocentric wrote:

Well, everytime LA wins/lose a championship I always hear of riots there. As for fighting, fines are steep when it comes to players brawling each other (unless it's hockey, where that is a part of the game). That could be the reason. It used to be that way, but then rules and regulations came along to end it.

We do have more championships then three per decade, you know.

Don't Panic
elryacko

Postby Afrocentric » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 pm

meisme wrote:Well, everytime LA wins/lose a championship I always hear of riots there. As for fighting, fines are steep when it comes to players brawling each other (unless it's hockey, where that is a part of the game). That could be the reason. It used to be that way, but then rules and regulations came along to end it.

You mean Lakers fans. I don't remember the Kings fans rioting last year.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby MichaelReilly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNboU_PbZMY

This is what football should be.
MichaelReilly

Postby salve311 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 pm

I would have liked to try the terraces
"Rocking Solentia since 3380"
"Socio-capitalism is the way"
salve311

Postby Zanz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:58 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNboU_PbZMY

This is what football should be.

Goodness that crowd is so white.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22944291

Yet more good news from the decrepit, dying beast that's called 'Scottish football'. The Wee Huns die to make it a treble of a good 12 months (Rangers and Thatcher). Not so good if you're a Hearts fan, but the rest of us hate them, so it's pretty hilarious. Does mean the death of the Scottish national game, but otherwise, pretty funny.
MichaelReilly

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic