Are you worried about...

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Are you worried about a revolution in Iran?

Yes
18%
No
65%
Don't really care
18%
What's an "Iran"?
No votes

Total votes : 17

Re: Are you worried about...

Postby Molotov » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Er, he was asking Jess what America's relations with Cuba had to do with being able to travel there, or so I thought. The answer being, America's poor relations with Cuba result in Americans being unable to travel there.
Molotov

Postby Chazza » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Americans can get to Cuba, you can even do it through going to Canada and then flying to Cuba from there. When I was in Cuba two years ago there were a good few Americans there.
Chazza

Postby Malefic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:30 pm

No, I'm not worried. I think another revolution could be a good thing.
Malefic

Postby Opakidabar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:39 pm

I am worried of revolution in Latvia in next 2-3 years given possible default.
Iran has no need for that. All this stuff seems the same engineering that was made to free Baltic states from USSR. Which was a good thing on one hand but power stayed with the same KGB guys on the other.
Opakidabar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Molotov wrote:Er, he was asking Jess what America's relations with Cuba had to do with being able to travel there, or so I thought. The answer being, America's poor relations with Cuba result in Americans being unable to travel there.

What I was trying to say is that one does not lead to the other. We do not have good relations with Iran; however, we can still travel there if we want to (it will depend on the Iranian government but we are still allowed by our government).

I was also trying to tell Jess that even if we do not have relations with Cuba, we (Americans) can still travel there someway or another.

Darvian wrote:I supremely doubt Yanks was comparing US relations with Iran to Cuba in that respect, Molotov. If he was well, my defense of that position is null and void. Iran hasn't had an embargo on it since 1958; now has it? Indeed, it has not.

You are correct. I am not trying to compare Iran to Cuba. They are two completely different cases.

Jessaveryja wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:I think the Shah could work into the current system where they could have the Ayatollah and Shah at the same level the Ayatollah is now, ceremonial with a president in charge.

I think America needs better relations with Iran and Cuba. I want to go to Cuba. :cry: All you non-Americans can go to Cuba, we are the only ones thickheaded enough to boycott them.

You can go to Cuba too, there are certain restrictions though. You can always travel via a third country such as Mexico or the Dominican Republic. It's a beautiful country, I tell you. I traveled there about four years ago. If you like crystal clear beaches, then that's the place to travel to.

By the way, what does having relations with Cuba have anything to do with traveling there? They are two different things. And do you want to go to Iran too?

Last time I checked average Americans couldn't go to Cuba, but then you are a fed. I just think that if we can ally with Saudi Arabia, we can ally with anyone. :D

I am not a fed. Like I have previously stated, I do not work for any federal law enforcement agency. Unless, by "fed" you meant someone who works in the federal government. And I traveled to Cuba on business even though I made it pleasure after a day.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Aethers » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not worried about any revolution. Hope it does end up happening though.

We'll see!
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Postby Molotov » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Malefic wrote:No, I'm not worried. I think another revolution could be a good thing.

Revolutions are invariably bad things. At the very least, it would be bad for ordinary Iranians.
Molotov

Postby Chazza » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:06 am

Molotov wrote:
Malefic wrote:No, I'm not worried. I think another revolution could be a good thing.

Revolutions are invariably bad things. At the very least, it would be bad for ordinary Iranians.

Because ordinary Iranians have it so good now right?
Chazza

Postby Aethers » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:07 am

Molotov wrote:

Um, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

(Right, revolutions are bad things... I'll make sure to tell that to the Royal Governnr of Virginia next time I see him.)
Iqembu Sokusebenzisana Yeningi (Coalition for Democracy) in Ibutho Izulu
Mugenkai in the Imperial Federation of Sekowo (inactive)
Community Communist Congress in the Republic of Ikradon (obsolete)
Cosmopolitan Unity Party in the Republic of Sogona (P2, RIP)
Aethers

Postby Molotov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:22 am

Aethers wrote:
Molotov wrote:

Um, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

(Right, revolutions are bad things... I'll make sure to tell that to the Royal Governnr of Virginia next time I see him.)

Revolutions are invariably bad things. The American War of Independence was no revolution. It replaced British liberal government with American liberal government. America's revolution was no revolution in the real sense, and Burke (the father of conservatism, and if there's one thing conservatives don't like, it's a revolution) wrote firmly in support of it.

(edit: I presume that the point you were trying to make is that the American Revolution was a good one? If it was a revolution at all, it is the exception that proves the rule.)

Read Burke's Reflections on the revolution in France. That was a real revolution, and that was bad. Look at the Bolshevik revolution, the fascist revolutions, the Chinese revolution, the Iranian revolution, the Cambodian revolution, the Nepalese revolution. Consider the cost in lives, the immediate anarchy, and the usually disastrous governments that have replaced the ancien régime. Revolutions, bloody or otherwise, are always bad. They mean that a few narrow-minded men think they know better than millions before them, and they mean that these men will stop at nothing to see their unrealistic dreams realised.

Chazza wrote:Because ordinary Iranians have it so good now right?

They'll have it fucking worse when their country is a war zone, or their new Glorious Leader is a Persian Pol Pot.

edit2: We are talking about a proper revolution here? A second Iranian Revolution, replacing the corrupt Revolutionary Government of the Islamic Republic with a new Revolutionary Government of the Whatever Republic, a mass movement driven by protest or by conflict, rather than democracy or gradual evolution? Not a 'soft' revolution, like Blair's 1997 landslide? (A phony or 'political' revolution - where the term revolution is really a rhetorical one.)
Molotov

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic