Are you worried about...

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Are you worried about a revolution in Iran?

Yes
18%
No
65%
Don't really care
18%
What's an "Iran"?
No votes

Total votes : 17

Re: Are you worried about...

Postby Molotov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:11 am

You can deny that "revolution" means what Chazza and I think it means

Er, Charlie agrees with me (because I'm right).

Chazza wrote:
Molotov wrote:As far as the study of politics (or its field, whatever) is concerned, Aethers, the Glorious Revolution and the American Revolution weren't revolutions.

I agree with you here... it had to happen once in a while

I wasn't even aware this was a matter for debate. They must teach things differently in politics departments in America. As far as I am concerned Aethers and Mr.Yankees, the American Revolution was no such thing, it was the American War of Independence, not a revolution by the modern understanding nor a revolution at the time.

Well, you've already excluded a few good exceptions by artificially narrowing your definition, but what about the Italian unification? Yes, it wasn't a pure revolution since Garibaldi's uprisings coincided with Piedmont's military campaign to unite the peninsula, but it fits most of your criteria. Due to civil unrest and partisan military struggle, an old order (feudalism) is replaced by a new one (constitutional monarchy.) Are you going to make the claim that, once the dust had settled, Italians had been better off as subjects of their peninsula's several feudal fiefs?

Ho, I could write a dissertation on this.

I won't bother. The Risorgimento wasn't a revolution, in many ways it was very damaging, and depending on what you mean by 'better off' then yes, that could very well have been possible.

Look, I'll concede that he's narrowing the definition to make it suit his purposes, but neither of your artificially narrow definitions can hold the weight you each try to give it, that a violent reconstitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran would or would not be a good thing.

I wish you'd stop going on about 'narrowing definitions'. There must be some kind of language barrier, I am using the generally accepted definitions as I have known them. I also find it is much more useful in any discussion to be specific and clear in the terms one uses. Just because, for example, 'reintegration' might mean a number of things in a context of a number of discussions does not mean one need account for them all, one need only say, "reintegration in this instance refers to the repatriation, forcible or otherwise, of former Soviet prisoners of war blah blah..."

I think that most modern French have benefited from the fact that there is a French Republic, and would be worse off if there had never been a French Republic. So you may define a revolution in such a way that it invariably has bad effects, but unless you can argue that they cannot help but have more negative consequences than positive, I see no reason to assume that a new Iranian revolution would have to of necessity be a bad thing.

Roundabout logic of yours, 'it might be good, so it is of necessity not bad'.

Demonstrate to me that the French Revolution has directly benefited the people of France today, and I will concede to you that revolutions are not invariably bad for all time to come. It is enough for me that they are bad at the time of their occurrence, and usually for a long time afterwards.

I can't be bothered to go into it now. I suggest you read something of Michael Oakeshott to get an idea of the philosophical justifications for my position. Obviously Oakeshott on politics.

Fact is, there are maybe only a handful of nations where the essential rubric of government was put in place by electoral democracy. Are you going to say that none of these nations' people are sovereign, because their constitutions weren't debated by a legislature? As for the right of popular consent, the sovereignty of the people is the first principle of democratic theory and if you've studied political science as well as you claim, you're already aware of this.

For the record, I don't really have a position on this, I was merely responding to Chazza's rhetoric, as one should never let blatant statements like that pass. I don't particularly care for the 'sovereignty of peoples' thesis, though, no. As for the 'right of popular consent', this might well be a 'first principle', but one of the very first things I learned is that it is almost impossible to establish or measure consent, implicit or explicit, and claims to consent should never be looked on as infallible. Mostly, they are applied in retrospect, by the current regime. One of the only decent ways we have of measuring consent is through elections, referenda, the democratic process.

I have never studied 'political science'. Personally, I do not believe that politics can ever, or should ever, be studied as a 'science', and neither did my institution.

edit: Sorry, by the way, if I appear to display 'anti-American sentiment'. There are lots of things about America that I don't like, but I don't mean to be anti-American in this thread. Perhaps it's just a reaction to the way Aethers presumes America's political system and democracy are somehow the best, and that this is a fact and in many ways self-evident. I may just be reacting like George when he thought I was boasting about the achievements of Britain.
Molotov

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 am

Molotov, it can be argued that the American Revolution/War of Independence did not change much for the colonies. After all, a similar or nearly identical system remained in place for a few years. However; it can also be argued that whether our current system (by that I mean the Constitutional framework) was a direct result of the war or not, it was highly influenced by the failures of the nearly identical system that remained in place after the war. To add to that, it can also be argued that there was a disagreement on what system should be implemented directly following the war. The majority favored the status quo (minues England's interference and being ruled by the King) but there were many that wanted some changes made to the system. That's when the Articles of Confederation came about.

Molotov, you do have a point and you can take either perspective on the matter of the American Revolution/War of Independence. However; you will find very few American scholars that will say it was not a revolution (that includes me). Yes, I know that you will say that they are probably biased but you do have to admit that going against so many highly educated people is a tough nut to crack.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Darvian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:54 am

Someone needs to look into Thomas Payne and Thomas Jefferson a bit more specifically on the question of the French Revolution in comparison to the American Revolution. Payne was far more influential and if Jefferson would have heeded his advice during the Louisiana Purchase; the newly bought lands would have been slave-free. Jefferson wouldn't do it due to the importance of the shipping in New Orleans and various, of the day, big lobbies really wanted access to the Gulf as a means to get namely cotton out quicker and things in easier. By not heeding Paynes advice, Jefferson set the stage for the American Civil War by allowing the newly gotten territories to wind up equally splitting between free-states and slave-holding states. The study of Jefferson and Payne in a lot of the ideas and movements of the American Revolution reveal a great deal about how painfully aware crusty old men of yore actually were to the problems of the day; and for centuries to come due to inaction.
Darvian

Postby elryacko » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:21 am

Comment on the original discussion point: I'm slightly worried, only because it things really break down in Iran, (riots, general strikes), gas prices will go up, and the economy will sour some more.

Molotov: Agreed with the revolutions bit. They're all bad, detrimental, and destabilizing. Disagree on the bit on language:

I wasn't even aware this was a matter for debate. They must teach things differently in politics departments in America. As far as I am concerned Aethers and Mr.Yankees, the American Revolution was no such thing, it was the American War of Independence, not a revolution by the modern understanding nor a revolution at the time.

Didn't a famous playwright once wrote, a rose by any other name.... In any case, what does it matter what we call things? Alot of popular history is myth, legend, propaganda, or inaccurate. Mussolini didn't really make the trains run on time. History truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't Panic
elryacko

Postby Chazza » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 am

Molotov wrote:
Intellectual obfuscation :) 'Quantitative change in the organisational principles of society'? So is, presumably, an election or a restructuring of civil service departments. To suggest that each revolution is different and, as such, no prediction or valid analysis can be made of revolutions in general, Charlie, is to suggest that the entire study of politics is invalid. Each human interaction, each power-relation, each group formation, is in its specifics different, none have universal (though certainly definable) end goals, must we abandon all attempt at classification, prediction, or understanding?

There have been revolutions, we have seen their results. Empirical evidence enough for me.

Come on, you study politics you must know the complete inability of scholars to have predicted anything. I'll talk about IR as that's mainly what I study and you look back and you can see Kenneth Waltz in the late 80s saying bipolarity will never end (a recent lecturer of mine recently said she had to sit an exam just after the Soviet Union collapsed with a question something like 'why will the cold war not end'), you got Fukuyama saying it's the end of history, you can go back to Liberals in the 20s predicting world peace and so on. None of these have been correct and the study, when it tries to say with certainty what will happen has been a complete failure. I'm not saying the study of politics and of IR is bad but that it has much more purpose in analysing what does exist and making normative suggestions about the future not by saying 'x will happen when y does z' because chances are it will be proved wrong. Much as pretty much everyone in IR would disagree with me humans aren't rational actors and you cant categorise them into what they will and wont do. We have had some revolutions and those revolutions have turned out badly, you can say it is due to the process of revolution, I can say it is due to the people involved in them, the way they were carried out and the policies carried out post-revolution neither of us are necessarily correct; empirical evidence does not produce objective truths.
Chazza

Postby Molotov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Chazza wrote:Much as pretty much everyone in IR would disagree with me humans aren't rational actors and you cant categorise them into what they will and wont do.

I completely agree. I think International Relations as a subject is a pile of wank :)

We have had some revolutions and those revolutions have turned out badly, you can say it is due to the process of revolution, I can say it is due to the people involved in them, the way they were carried out and the policies carried out post-revolution neither of us are necessarily correct; empirical evidence does not produce objective truths.

Well, there are philosophical reasons for my position. Change, in any context, represents certain loss with only possible gain. Revolutions represent the greatest change possible and so the greatest certain loss, with only the smallest possible gain. With such consideration, the individual character of the revolution, its events and promulgators, don't really matter.

As to the empirical evidence, as far as it stands, there hasn't been a revolution that has not turned out badly. Why? Well, usually the simplest answer is the correct one: the simplest answer is that it is revolutions themselves that are bad. Your answer, whilst possibly correct, is more of an excuse for revolutions. It's Marxist thinking, roundabout thinking, usually wrong thinking (so far as I am concerned, I'm not claiming that I am God and always right.)
Molotov

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Molotov wrote:
Chazza wrote:Much as pretty much everyone in IR would disagree with me humans aren't rational actors and you cant categorise them into what they will and wont do.

I completely agree. I think International Relations as a subject is a pile of wank :)

We have had some revolutions and those revolutions have turned out badly, you can say it is due to the process of revolution, I can say it is due to the people involved in them, the way they were carried out and the policies carried out post-revolution neither of us are necessarily correct; empirical evidence does not produce objective truths.

Well, there are philosophical reasons for my position. Change, in any context, represents certain loss with only possible gain. Revolutions represent the greatest change possible and so the greatest certain loss, with only the smallest possible gain. With such consideration, the individual character of the revolution, its events and promulgators, don't really matter.

As to the empirical evidence, as far as it stands, there hasn't been a revolution that has not turned out badly. Why? Well, usually the simplest answer is the correct one: the simplest answer is that it is revolutions themselves that are bad. Your answer, whilst possibly correct, is more of an excuse for revolutions. It's Marxist thinking, roundabout thinking, usually wrong thinking (so far as I am concerned, I'm not claiming that I am God and always right.)

Molotov, do you what the problem with your argument is? Your hypothesis (Change, in any context, represents certain loss with only possible gain) has not been proven. In political science, there are very, very few things we can say we are 100% certain. In the case of your hypothesis, you can provide dozens of examples to prove it but I can also provide dozens to disprove it. The problem here is that you cannot, and it is impossible, to categorize all revolutions under that specific hypothesis. Political Scientists do not look for THE answer, we look for the possible answers to something. Just like International relations, there are many perspectives and theories to look at something.

I am not arguing your opinion nor do I want to detract you from using it, I am merely pointing out the flaws in your hypothesis as previously mentioned above from a political scientist's perspective.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby JuliaAJA » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:14 pm

Here! Here!
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Molotov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm

It's 'hear, hear', Jess.

Yankees: It is not a hypothesis, it is fact. Once something is changed, once change has occurred, that something is different. What it was before is gone, it is lost, and it is something new. That is what change means. If I have a blue paint on a canvas, and I paint over it with green, I have lost the blue colour and replaced it with green. With any change, there is certain loss. This is not a hypothesis, without loss there is no change.

Any revolution, by its nature, entails change - usually massive change. That means, massive loss. This is simple logic, it's not a matter for argument. It's not my opinion.

My opinion is that loss is usually bad, therefore, where change or innovation occurs, the burden of proof lies upon the innovator to prove that the loss does not outweigh the gain. History has shown us that revolutions always represent greater loss than they do gain.
Last edited by Molotov on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molotov

Postby Darvian » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Molotov wrote:It's 'hear, hear', Jess.

Yankees: It is not a hypothesis, it is fact. Once something is changed, once change has occurred, that something is different. What it was before is gone, it is lost, and it is something new. That is what change means. If I have a blue paint on a canvas, and I paint over it with green, I have lost the blue colour and replaced it with green. With any change, there is certain loss. This is not a hypothesis, without loss there is no change.

Any revolution, by its nature, entails change - usually massive change. That means, massive loss. This is simple logic, it's not a matter for argument. It's not my opinion.

My opinion is that loss is usually bad, therefore, where change or innovation occurs, the burden of proof lies upon the innovator to prove that the loss outweighs the gain. History has shown us that revolutions always represent greater loss than they do gain.

What losses did we suffer during the Neolithic Revolution and to the other extreme, the Digital Revolution? I know I'm playing on topics outside the realm of your discussion. Though, thought I'd throw that out there for that sake of epistemology buffs.
Darvian

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic