Democratic 2016 Presidential Field

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

If you voted in a Democratic Primary in 2016 who would you vote for?

Hillary Clinton
19%
Bernie Sanders
44%
Martin O'Malley
3%
Lincoln Chafee
3%
Jim Webb
8%
Joe Biden
22%
Other; Specify
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: Democratic 2016 Presidential Field

Postby MarkWill » Fri May 01, 2015 3:08 am

Bernie Sanders is farther left than Warren. Neither are credible alternatives to Clinton, whose own standing has been diminished over the revelations of the donations to the Clinton Global Initiative. She's scandal ridden and has plenty of missteps and faults that can be pointed to over her nearly three decades in the public spotlight. It's not a matter of if she makes any more gaffes (such as claiming she was "dead broke"), but when. She can try and act like a poor standard bearer for progressive values, but the left wing of the Democratic Party will never be comfortable with her. This is displayed through numerous polls showing she has 60% of Democratic support despite half wanting a primary opponent. She's always been seen as detached, calculating, and politically motivated.

I believe it will still take a credible opponent to defeat her, considering she is a woman and the fact that perception is reality in politics. Now, I'm not one to judge candidates based on gender or other characteristics which have nothing to do with policy, but there is an undeniable portion of the electorate that sees her for (quite literally) for what she is: a woman; and no doubt, these people will try and make history as they did, albeit poorly, in 2008.

Out of the current field of GOP presidential hopefuls, I am pining for Jeb Bush. He can reach out to the Hispanic community as much as, or perhaps even better, than his brother did in 2004, and he is more moderate than his other challengers (both in perception and reality), so there's some advantages. In my opinion, any candidate who ran in 2012 plus Ted Cruz and Rand Paul don't have a chance. I don't believe the Republican Party is ready to nominate a Libertarian (I definitely don't support Paul), and Ted Cruz has simply staked out positions that are too conservative. Cruz hasn't also been the greatest of companions in the Senate either. Even though I do believe he's a smart guy, the positions he's taken to occupy a niche and to be able to establish himself has only cooped him up, and I can't see him even winning one primary state. As for Marco Rubio, he's had only Senate experience and he's flip flopped on immigration. Even though he is Cuban himself, the positions he's taken don't really line up with the majority views of Hispanics as well as Jeb's does. As for Chris Christie, I think he is politically dead. Perhaps in another field where there weren't as many suitable competitors, he might have a chance, but the numerous credit downgrades in New Jersey and the (unfair) media scrutiny on Bridgegate have only hurt him.
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri May 01, 2015 3:27 am

MarkWill wrote:I am pining for Jeb Bush.

God you Republicans are really homoerotic for homophobes, sometimes.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby MarkWill » Fri May 01, 2015 3:29 am

TheNewGuy wrote:
MarkWill wrote:I am pining for Jeb Bush.

God you Republicans are really homoerotic for homophobes, sometimes.

I didn't mean it that way but okay.
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby MichaelReilly » Fri May 01, 2015 9:05 am

To quote the Washington Post: 'Bernie Sanders isn't going to be president. That's not the point.'

Of course he isn't going to win. But he's going to ruffle some serious feathers and hopefully push the campaign to the left.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Batman337 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:07 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:To quote the Washington Post: 'Bernie Sanders isn't going to be president. That's not the point.'

Of course he isn't going to win. But he's going to ruffle some serious feathers and hopefully push the campaign to the left.

So he is Mike Huckabee
Independent Consul Party- Inactive

Voronan National People's Party- Inactive

Reformist Party- Inactive

HNHP- Active
Batman337

Postby PaleRider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:51 am

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... NdH-Bs72QQ

Bernie Sanders is picking up steam it seems....and Lincoln Chafee, former Republican Senator from Rhode Island, former Independent Governor of Rhode Island and now Democrat threw his hat into the shallow Democratic ring (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7229,d.cGU ).

And Hillary Clinton's poll numbers keep dropping like a concrete block in water...
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby CanadianEh » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:27 am

I still want a female President for the U.S., and it's not like Hilary Clinton is incompetent.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby JuliaAJA » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Everyone who says that Bernie Sanders cannot win:
1) [self-censored]
2) Ignores numbers
3) Watches mainstream media
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby CanadianEh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:31 am

Bernie Sanders is not as high profile as Hilary Clinton, but he is a bit more left than her and it is true that he has always been socially left while Hilary has moved from the Social Centre to the social Left rather quickly in the past year or two.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:42 am

CanadianEh wrote:Bernie Sanders is not as high profile as Hilary Clinton, but he is a bit more left than her and it is true that he has always been socially left while Hilary has moved from the Social Centre to the social Left rather quickly in the past year or two.

Anybody who's even remotely close to center on social issues will vote Democrat regardless of Hillary or Bernie. When you've got Scott Walker and the like as the Republican options, our generation and (increasingly) older generations know where to vote on social issues. That's not where Bernie wins, although he does win there.

Bernie beats Hillary hands down on foreign policy and on the economy. Hillary is a warhawk, and Hillary is a corporatist. Bernie is neither of these things. That's why people go out to hear him in higher numbers than any other candidate: he's talking about fixing the economy, and he's talking about non-interventionism (which is the same reason, interestingly, Rand Paul is doing well). Bernie knows legalization of weed, gay marriage, etc. are all coming. Why waste his time on that crap when it's written on the wall? Bernie's focusing on the real issues, which is what's so refreshing.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic