Republican 2016 Presidential Field

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

If you were a Republican primary voter, who would you vote for?

Donald Trump
24%
Carly Fiorina
12%
Ben Carson
3%
Marco Rubio
7%
Jeb Bush
17%
Rand Paul
15%
Chris Christie
No votes
Mike Huckabee
3%
Ted Cruz
5%
Other; Specify
14%

Total votes : 59

Re: Republican 2016 Presidential Field

Postby Afrocentric » Sat May 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Rick Perry becoming the POTUS is the equivalent of giving a four year old a loaded gun.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby PaleRider » Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Afrocentric wrote:Rick Perry becoming the POTUS is the equivalent of giving a four year old a loaded gun.

You try being Governor of Texas for 4 years, winning 3 general elections and working with the State Legislature (which tend to be heavily more partisan and opinionated than the US Congress) to pass reforms or even laws. While his debate performances and PR skills were lacking during his 2012 run, he is better positioned and ready for a 2016 campaign. In fact he might be a good compromise candidate. He has sufficient street cred with Tea Party Republicans so as to not worry about a serious challenger from the right while his reforms and policies implemented as Governor are to where the establishment would have little trouble rallying behind him.
Ultimately the 2016 Presidential Election is the GOP's to lose. Not since the 1800-1826 time frame have 3 President's been successfully elected back to back to back and after 8 years the public usually has whats called the "8 Year Itch" where they want to ditch one party and try another.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby EEL123 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:30 pm

PaleRider wrote:While his debate performances and PR skills were lacking during his 2012 run, he is better positioned and ready for a 2016 campaign.
Look, people who run poor campaigns can come back four years later better and stronger. However, if your campaign is poor to the extent that it is only slightly more appealing than testicular cancer, I would suggest that his campaigning skills are not far from being beyond redemption. (And before you say, "Then how did he win so many elections?", Texas is different from the national stage.) Plus I suspect many people aren't ready for another Governor of Texas so soon. And his polls - he's nowhere to be seen.

PaleRider wrote:In fact he might be a good compromise candidate. He has sufficient street cred with Tea Party Republicans so as to not worry about a serious challenger from the right while his reforms and policies implemented as Governor are to where the establishment would have little trouble rallying behind him.
There are plenty of other people who could fit that bill - Paul Ryan, Mike Pence, Marco Rubio (sort of, he screwed up immigration reform, so maybe not any more) etc.

PaleRider wrote:Not since the 1800-1826 time frame have 3 President's been successfully elected back to back to back
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but a run of three terms for one party in not exactly unprecedented. Anyone remember Reagan and Bush? They were in there for twelve years. Roosevelt and Truman went for twenty years. Harding, Coolidge and Hoover went for twelve. And that's just in the last century.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby EEL123 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:34 am

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... -indicted/

Well, your friend Rick Perry seems to have a few legal issues coming his way, Pale. (Even if the case gets thrown out, it's a pretty ugly look. I suspect that if he insists on running in 2016, his opponents would relish splashing his mugshot across their campaign ads.)
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby PaleRider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:22 pm

EEL123 wrote:http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/08/15/texas-gov-rick-perry-indicted/

Well, your friend Rick Perry seems to have a few legal issues coming his way, Pale. (Even if the case gets thrown out, it's a pretty ugly look. I suspect that if he insists on running in 2016, his opponents would relish splashing his mugshot across their campaign ads.)

It a bullshit partisan legal case that will surely get thrown out. Most of the general pop isnt even paying attention yet and won't till like September 2016. In any case, for most politicians, issues like this go away pretty quickly. Who here remembers the prostitute scandal Senator David Vitter (R-LA) was in? Or Rep. Charlie Rangel's (D-NY) 2010 corruption case? Perhaps the Jack Abramof/Tom DeLay scandals? Unless its a big BIG issue involving a very nationally public spotlight (i.e Watergate, Clinton's impeachment) position this issue will most likely blow over and it might even help solidify conservative support around him.
Regardless, him, Governor Chris Christie and Governor Scott Walker (and maybe including Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) and Marco Rubio (R-FL)) represent the best chances for the GOP to win the presidency.
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
PaleRider

Postby EEL123 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 pm

PaleRider wrote:It a bullshit partisan legal case that will surely get thrown out.
So? Even the suggestion of impropriety is enough to cause serious damage. Look at Bridgegate. To my knowledge nobody has been sent to prison or anything for that. But Christie is still faltering.

PaleRider wrote:Most of the general pop isnt even paying attention yet and won't till like September 2016.
You'd have to be pretty naive to think that his opponents will not take very opportunity to remind the voters again and again when they do start caring.

PaleRider wrote:In any case, for most politicians, issues like this go away pretty quickly... Unless its a big BIG issue involving a very nationally public spotlight (i.e Watergate, Clinton's impeachment) position this issue will most likely blow over and it might even help solidify conservative support around him.
And the longest-serving Governor of the country's second-largest state who may be running for President getting taken to court for a class one felony is not a big national issue?
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby PaleRider » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:35 am

And the longest-serving Governor of the country's second-largest state who may be running for President getting taken to court for a class one felony is not a big national issue?

I'm still mystified how the Governor, using his constitutional and legal option to veto laws can be charged with a class 1 felony. He can veto laws how he sees fit.
PaleRider

Postby CanadianEh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 am

I am from Canada and I have not really paid much attention to American politics until recent years, because it's so confusing! :roll:

Anyways my opinion is the republicans need to align themselves as more moderate and become more socially permissive (mind you not too permissive, or else they will loose their voter base.) They need to start accepting everyone for who they are all cultures and all sexual preferences, (but not become Obama secular.), I think that will allow them to sweep the Democrats.

They need a female candidate for presidency, in American history there has only been 2 female candidates (both of them ran for vice presidency under a male candidate) one a Democrat in the 80's and Sarah Pailin (sorry if I spelt her name wrong) a Republican not too long ago. They both lost.

If the Republicans run a female, who is responsible, understanding, socially moderate & intelligent i think they will have presidency in the bag.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 am

CanadianEh wrote:I am from Canada and I have not really paid much attention to American politics until recent years, because it's so confusing! :roll:

Anyways my opinion is the republicans need to align themselves as more moderate and become more socially permissive (mind you not too permissive, or else they will loose their voter base.) They need to start accepting everyone for who they are all cultures and all sexual preferences, (but not become Obama secular.), I think that will allow them to sweep the Democrats.

They need a female candidate for presidency, in American history there has only been 2 female candidates (both of them ran for vice presidency under a male candidate) one a Democrat in the 80's and Sarah Pailin (sorry if I spelt her name wrong) a Republican not too long ago. They both lost.

If the Republicans run a female, who is responsible, understanding, socially moderate & intelligent i think they will have presidency in the bag.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Susana Martinez and Condelezza Rice aren't walking through that door. Plus, there are alot of dynamics that will determine who wins in 2016, not just where the candidate stands ideologically or what size bra they wear. The GOP ran a "moderate" in 2012 and he lost to Obama; why? Because the GOP has a problem with young, Hispanic, Black and women voters.

BTW, Obama isn't Secular, he's a Christian who goes to church.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby EEL123 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 am

Afrocentric wrote:Sorry to disappoint you, but Susana Martinez and Condelezza Rice aren't walking through that door.
I can see Susana Martinez as a vice presidential running mate. It's not entirely implausible. I agree though that Condi Rice is a rather more remote possibility.

Afrocentric wrote:The GOP ran a "moderate" in 2012 and he lost to Obama; why? Because the GOP has a problem with young, Hispanic, Black and women voters.
Well, that's because he said politically unwise things about the various demographic groups in question - particularly Hispanics. A candidate with similar positions who said more palatable things would probably have done much better.

Afrocentric wrote:BTW, Obama isn't Secular, he's a Christian who goes to church.
Yes, but unlike some Republicans he's not unduly keen about ramming his religious beliefs down people's throats.
House of Razama
EEL123

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic