Canadian Federal Election 2015

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Who would you vote for?

Conservative
42%
Liberal
17%
New Democratic
25%
️Green
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 36

Re: Canadian Federal Election 2015

Postby CanadianEh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 am

EEL123 wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:Well we can kiss a NDP-Liberal coalition goodbye!
Indeed. Now Harper only needs to come first.

It does not look that way, currently the Liberals are 5% above the Conservatives with the NDP in third with 17%.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby EEL123 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 am

CanadianEh wrote:It does not look that way, currently the Liberals are 5% above the Conservatives with the NDP in third with 17%.
I was merely stating that he needs to come first, not that he will come first. But looking that the way another untried Liberal leader, Brian Gallant, had a little trip up (in New Brunswick, if I recall correctly), it may not be entirely implausible that Justin Trudeau implodes in the campaign. Probably won't, but he might.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby EEL123 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:00 pm

http://www.threehundredeight.com/2014/0 ... ss-up.html

This should be a warning to Trudeau. Brian Gallant has just blown a 20% lead and the contest is now a tossup. (Did I hear someone say "Scotland"?) And federally, of course, Trudeau has a much smaller lead to blow.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby CanadianEh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:35 pm

EEL123 wrote:http://www.threehundredeight.com/2014/09/final-new-brunswick-projection-toss-up.html

This should be a warning to Trudeau. Brian Gallant has just blown a 20% lead and the contest is now a tossup. (Did I hear someone say "Scotland"?) And federally, of course, Trudeau has a much smaller lead to blow.

Yep Trudeau was just a fad, and his Canadian political time of reign came too early before the election. Harpers back baby!!

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby EEL123 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 am

CanadianEh wrote:Yep Trudeau was just a fad, and his Canadian political time of reign came too early before the election. Harpers back baby!!
Well, I wouldn't be so euphoric yet. The New Brunswick Liberals almost lost an unloseable election (and, given that the tabulators screwed up, they may yet actually lose it) as a result of Brian Gallant's poor campaign, not because of any fault of Trudeau's (although the lead federally has been narrowing a little, I believe). I was merely pointing out that both are fairly untried leaders, and that if Gallant could go into meltdown, so could Trudeau.

EDIT: Apparently they have actually won. Although the Progressive Conservatives want a hand-count. Which begs to question, what's to say that human vote-counters are necessarily better than machine vote-counters? Maybe the discrepancy in the results was caused by the people stuffing up, not the machines.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby CanadianEh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:24 pm

EEL123 wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:Yep Trudeau was just a fad, and his Canadian political time of reign came too early before the election. Harpers back baby!!
Well, I wouldn't be so euphoric yet. The New Brunswick Liberals almost lost an unloseable election (and, given that the tabulators screwed up, they may yet actually lose it) as a result of Brian Gallant's poor campaign, not because of any fault of Trudeau's (although the lead federally has been narrowing a little, I believe). I was merely pointing out that both are fairly untried leaders, and that if Gallant could go into meltdown, so could Trudeau.

EDIT: Apparently they have actually won. Although the Progressive Conservatives want a hand-count. Which begs to question, what's to say that human vote-counters are necessarily better than machine vote-counters? Maybe the discrepancy in the results was caused by the people stuffing up, not the machines.

Yea gosh i stayed up late last night wast hong that!
The Liberals won 27 seats the PC/Conservatives 21 and for the second time in history the greens won a seat in a provincial assembly. I think that a re-count should be done I prefer the old way of voting by counting the ballots, so what if it takes an extra hour!

So if something got catastrophically messed up the Conservatives still could win.

CanadianEh

Postby EEL123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:44 pm

CanadianEh wrote:I think that a re-count should be done I prefer the old way of voting by counting the ballots, so what if it takes an extra hour!
I think that they'll have to hand-count it. Democracy relies on, among other things, the people's confidence in the electoral system. You can't have some newfangled machine frightening people.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby EEL123 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Given that the NPD is almost certain to lose votes and seats, do you think that Thomas Mulcair will get the axe? And if he does, who is best placed to replace him?
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby CanadianEh » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 am

EEL123 wrote:Given that the NPD is almost certain to lose votes and seats, do you think that Thomas Mulcair will get the axe? And if he does, who is best placed to replace him?

I think he will resign, he is calling it a three way race which it is not. The person that would replace him could be anyone, I think that the NDP need to go further to the left to gain more votes because right now they are the equivalent of the American Democrats, though putting forth a proposal to raise the minim wage to $19 helps, it is insane but it helps.

Though I kind of think moving further to the left will create mixed ideas with many people going to the Liberals because the NDP will be too left because Left parties have never done well in Canada. So maybe their trip to the left would not work. In all the Conservatives are Small Gov. Capitalists, the Liberals are Big Gov. Capitalists and the NDP are Big Gov. Social Liberals.

Someone to replace him? Well I don't know, it might be another Quebecer, out of all of big Political party leaders over the years probably over 50% have been from Quebec this is mainly because parties want to win Quebec the Liberals are virtually a second Bloc Quebecois in terms of leadership. Conservatives though won Quebec during the Mulroney governments. The new NDP Leader could be from Ontario or BC I don't see the person coming out of Conservative Alberta or the Liberal Maritime Provinces.

If Olivia Chow looses the Toronto Mayoral Election to Conservative John Tory in a few weeks she would probably consider running she might even win, I think with her though the biggest question would be southern Ontario has over 80 house seats how are you going to win it federally if you did not Win Toronto Municipally?

CanadianEh

Postby EEL123 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:30 pm

I think that in the election after 2015 - 2019 if the Parliament runs full term, but probably earlier since I can't see there being a majority government - the NDP may stand to gain from disillusioned left-wing Liberals who supported Trudeau as the most viable alternative to Harper, but whose views and desires collided with the reality of government. Similarly, if Trudeau does a crappy job, those who supported Trudeau on the basis that he'd be a fiscally responsible social liberal as promised might defect to the Tories. He's going to have to walk an extremely fine line over the next term of government. Given his inexperience, I suspect that he won't be able to pull it off.

CanadianEh wrote:If Olivia Chow looses the Toronto Mayoral Election to Conservative John Tory in a few weeks she would probably consider running she might even win
Why would you elect someone to become your leader (and your candidate for Prime Minister, in effect) if they can't even get elected Mayor?
House of Razama
EEL123

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic