Video game recommendations

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Video game recommendations

Postby Hrafn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:09 am

Because why not.

I'll start by recommending Penumbra: Overture and its sequel Penumbra: Black Plague, a first person-view psychological horror/puzzle adventure game where you impersonate a very british man travelling to what seems to be a deserted mine in northern Greenland in search of his mysterious father. I can't say much more about the plot without spoiling it for you, but it involves some Inuit folklore and a bit of sci-fi.

The game relies on atmosphere and suspense to creep you out and is best played with headphones in a dark room at night. The combat system (if it can even be called that) is intentionally clumsy and designed to make you want to avoid getting near the monsters to begin with, which makes them all the more scary. The sequel removes fighting completely. Basically, the philosophy of this game is that the scariest things are the things that you don't see, or at least don't see too much.

Penumbra also has puzzles, which are mostly about picking up items and figuring out what to do with them, as well as fiddling with various machines. Nothing particularly novel there. There's a bit of resource management in the form of painkillers (to heal damage) and batteries for your flashlight. First and foremost it's about the immersion and the story, which is told through written documents and letters that you pick up on the way as well as sparse dialogue (more like monologue actually). And there are no pesky cutscenes!

I might also mention Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which was made by the same developers (a Swedish indie company called Frictional Games) and builds on same basic elements. It's widely recognized as one of the best horror games ever made, but personally I think that Penumbra is not only creepier, but also more interesting overall. If you have played Amnesia and liked it, you will probably like Penumbra as well.

It can be bought on Steam fairly cheaply. There's also a good torrent on Pirate Bay which includes both Overture and Black Plague, as well as the third part of the trilogy (which sucks), though I'm not in any way promoting piracy *wink wink*.

Here's a good "Let's Play", if you want a foretaste:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszcelbF_Wc
Hrafn

Re: Video game recommendations

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Re: Amnesia:

The YouTuber gamer Criken has some videos of him playing Amnesia... He's hilarious (in my opinion) which sort of ruins the fear-factor of the game, but he's definitely worth watching. His videos of Chivalry are what got me to buy that game, and his Mount and Blade videos are hilarious, too.

Anywho, most of my gaming time is spent on Crusader Kings II, which if you haven't played you certainly should give a shot. Catch it on Steam Sale one of these days.
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I have to admit that Amnesia and other horror games freak me out to much to actually enjoy playing them. Either my fantasy's just too lively, or I am kind of a coward when it comes to virtual horror, I don't know.

However, while I tremendously enjoy Crusader Kings II, I think Europa Universalis 4 (same games company) is even better, especially with its latest expansion. While I've probably spent hundreds of hours with CKII, EU4 is even more fun, at least if you love strategy.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Darkylightytwo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, it is not like we can really control what happen on the pirate bay, and personnally, what is the love with horrors games ?

I say tales nof Xillia 1/2 are best. although, In got to admit my own personnal bias for JRPG.

the only games I seek activly right now, are Dot Hack Gu, sadlyu,. I won't find them anymore.
Darkylightytwo

Postby Hrafn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I've been playing CK2 for a little while, and I concur with the TheNewGuy. Anyone who loves strategy games should check it out. It's very different from games like Age of Empires or Starcraft, but in a good way IMO. Fans of role-playing games might also find it likeable.

I'm currently trying to incorporate Norrland and Finland into the Kingdom of Sweden. :D

Darkylightytwo wrote:Well, it is not like we can really control what happen on the pirate bay, and personnally, what is the love with horrors games ?

I do think that you should try to pay for the games if you find out that you like them though, especially when they are made by small independent developers. But I certainly don't point fingers at people who pirate games because it's the only way they can afford playing them. It's not like the developers lose anything if people play their games for free, if otherwise they wouldn't be playing them at all.

As for why I love horror games - same reason why I love horror novels and horror films I guess. I don't know why I enjoy being frightened. Maybe it's my inner caveman wanting a surrogate for the sabre-toothed tigers. Maybe I just take anything available that (seemingly) breaks the monotony of daily life.
Hrafn

Postby LNRulez01 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:08 pm

So it seems playing CK2/EU4 is a requirement for joining Particracy lol. Ive spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing those games, from the originals to CK2 and EU4. I can recommend it to anyone playing Particracy.
- It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal,engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Sun Tzu, 6th century BC
LNRulez01

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I personally enjoy playing CK2 multiplayer with Farsun. I don't think he's ever had a child who wasn't either hare lipped or homosexual. Which is always hilarious. Never play with Jalal though, he'll plot to murder you from day 1, and he creates characters with like 30 intrigue just so he can make it happen. Shortest game ever.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

TheNewGuy

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:03 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:I personally enjoy playing CK2 multiplayer with Farsun. I don't think he's ever had a child who wasn't either hare lipped or homosexual. Which is always hilarious. Never play with Jalal though, he'll plot to murder you from day 1, and he creates characters with like 30 intrigue just so he can make it happen. Shortest game ever.

At least now you can go into hiding to escape that. Or delay it.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:I personally enjoy playing CK2 multiplayer with Farsun. I don't think he's ever had a child who wasn't either hare lipped or homosexual. Which is always hilarious. Never play with Jalal though, he'll plot to murder you from day 1, and he creates characters with like 30 intrigue just so he can make it happen. Shortest game ever.

At least now you can go into hiding to escape that. Or delay it.

I don't know that there's really an escape from Jalal Al-e-Ahmad ;)

But perhaps a delay could work.

The worst part is that I was hosting the game with Farsun and Jalal. We play shattered world mods, and create rulers with the ruler designer. So my character that he assassinated was the only one of my bloodline, and I got game over. When I get game over, as host, game is over for everyone. So his murderous nonsense basically blew up the world. He and Farsun thought it was the funniest damn thing.

TheNewGuy

Postby JuliaAJA » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Europa Universalis IV is awesome
Battlefield 2 is a classic which still lives on after 9 years
Tropico 5 is awesome and it is so much better than the previous versions
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Next

Return to Off-topic