Interested in Running for Public Office?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Interested in Running for Public Office?

Postby MichaelReilly » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 pm

I've got quite an aversion towards anyone who runs for public office before a certain age. What experience at life does a 24 year old have? None. People should wait until they're at least 40 before they start trying to represent people. Otherwise it's the epitome of a 'career politician', that entity that the public oh so hate.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby PaleRider » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 pm

I've long entertained the idea of running for office (as a Republican of course). But I'm torn. I've made quite a few connections here in Virginia Beach and given the GOP tilt of the city I could have a decent shot at running for local and/or state office here. But I my political dream is to run for office in New York and save my beloved state as Governor. I'd definitely be happy making it into the state senate though, for either NY or Va!!
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby CanadianEh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 am

MichaelReilly wrote:I've got quite an aversion towards anyone who runs for public office before a certain age. What experience at life does a 24 year old have? None. People should wait until they're at least 40 before they start trying to represent people. Otherwise it's the epitome of a 'career politician', that entity that the public oh so hate.

I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. I think that age is not relevant since an 18 year old could be more mature than a 40 year old. Though I do see how experience is a factor when it comes to this and it needs to be looked at but everyone comes into politics inexperienced and their first term in office is in fact all about learning. What im trying to say is that everyone has their starting place and I think a 18 year old can be just as qualified as a 40 year old.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:22 am

CanadianEh wrote:
MichaelReilly wrote:I've got quite an aversion towards anyone who runs for public office before a certain age. What experience at life does a 24 year old have? None. People should wait until they're at least 40 before they start trying to represent people. Otherwise it's the epitome of a 'career politician', that entity that the public oh so hate.

I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. I think that age is not relevant since an 18 year old could be more mature than a 40 year old. Though I do see how experience is a factor when it comes to this and it needs to be looked at but everyone comes into politics inexperienced and their first term in office is in fact all about learning. What im trying to say is that everyone has their starting place and I think a 18 year old can be just as qualified as a 40 year old.

Yeah I know what you mean, but it's not the maturity or knowledge or experience of the job itself; it's the lack of life experience. How can someone adequately represent working-people when they themselves have had no experience of being a working-person outside the closed confines of political life? I would just personally feel at unease voting for someone who's very young. I myself wouldn't consider running for public office for a long while.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby CanadianEh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 am

MichaelReilly wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean, but it's not the maturity or knowledge or experience of the job itself; it's the lack of life experience. How can someone adequately represent working-people when they themselves have had no experience of being a working-person outside the closed confines of political life? I would just personally feel at unease voting for someone who's very young. I myself wouldn't consider running for public office for a long while.

Yes I would never run for political office until I go through University and have a stable job, I'm just saying if someone wants to do that they should be able to. Though I could never see a 20 year old president or head of state or government, I don't think I could ever vote a National leader until they are over the age of 40.

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:47 am

MichaelReilly wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:

I've worked in my family's businesses and interacted with the workers, understanding their concerns and frustration. I am conscious of my privileges. I've also been sympathetic to workers who make minor mistakes (when I'm on the customer end) when a place is crowded or when it's obvious they're under a lot of pressure. I have been careful about how I talk to them, and I know how unreasonable customers can be. No, I don't think this makes me some expert on the workers' pains, or someone who has lived like the people I want to represent, and I am conscious of that.

My main reasons for wanting to enter politics are:
- to reform the political system to one that doesn't alienate the electorate from the political process between elections.
- to take the party back into the direction Michael Manley took it.

And there has also been a demand for young persons to enter politics to replace "the dinosaurs" as there are growing fears that my generation and the one immediately before it have failed to adopt an interest in societal affairs (due to individualist madness in the 1980s).
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby MarkWill » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 am

Quite surprising how California, filled with millennials and other young people, elect septuagenarians and octogenarians to statewide office.

Dianne Feinstein - 81 years
Barbara Boxer - 74 years
Jerry Brown - 76 years
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby CanadianEh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
MichaelReilly wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:I agree with you but at the same time I disagree. I think that age is not relevant since an 18 year old could be more mature than a 40 year old. Though I do see how experience is a factor when it comes to this and it needs to be looked at but everyone comes into politics inexperienced and their first term in office is in fact all about learning. What im trying to say is that everyone has their starting place and I think a 18 year old can be just as qualified as a 40 year old.

I've worked in my family's businesses and interacted with the workers, understanding their concerns and frustration. I am conscious of my privileges. I've also been sympathetic to workers who make minor mistakes (when I'm on the customer end) when a place is crowded or when it's obvious they're under a lot of pressure. I have been careful about how I talk to them, and I know how unreasonable customers can be. No, I don't think this makes me some expert on the workers' pains, or someone who has lived like the people I want to represent, and I am conscious of that.

My main reasons for wanting to enter politics are:
- to reform the political system to one that doesn't alienate the electorate from the political process between elections.
- to take the party back into the direction Michael Manley took it.

And there has also been a demand for young persons to enter politics to replace "the dinosaurs" as there are growing fears that my generation and the one immediately before it have failed to adopt an interest in societal affairs (due to individualist madness in the 1980s).

I have the same views as you when it comes to why I want to get elected into parliament. The Conservatives who I will vote for when I become of age don't really align with my values and unless they go through major social reform I probably could not lead them, when it comes to the New Democrats they are a true Centre-Left party supporting a Welfare sate and Capitalism which and I don't support a welfare state. While the Liberals I have a big desire to Reform back to they way they were in the early and mid 20th century, supporters of the free market a fiscally right party while socially Centre-Left, instead of the Social Liberal economic policies they have chosen in recent decades.

CanadianEh

Postby Afrocentric » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 pm

MarkWill wrote:Quite surprising how California, filled with millennials and other young people, elect septuagenarians and octogenarians to statewide office.

Dianne Feinstein - 81 years
Barbara Boxer - 74 years
Jerry Brown - 76 years

That has more to do with the Democratic Party, than the voters themselves. BTW, Boxer looks quite attractive for her age.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby MarkWill » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Afrocentric wrote:BTW, Boxer looks quite attractive for her age.

The real hot rod is Harry Reid. Oh those beautiful wrinkles and liver spots. Aren't they just appealing?
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic