North Korea Wins Again

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

North Korea Wins Again

Postby MarkWill » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:45 am

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/s ... ml?hp=l2_4

North Korea's only legitimate weapon: threats.
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Re: North Korea Wins Again

Postby CanadianEh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:01 am

MarkWill wrote:http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/sony-north-korea-the-interview-113655.html?hp=l2_4

North Korea's only legitimate weapon: threats.

They have canceled many showings in Canada too.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:24 am

It's still hard to believe the cowardice of Sony/the cinemas that decided not to show it. What did they think the hackers would be able to do to them?
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby soysauce » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:06 pm

I think Sony are the people that won here, by all accounts this was a fairly shit comedy film anyway, because of this they have got a lot more publicity and when they do eventually release it everyone will want it simply because it's the film that North Korea wanted banned.

But for North Korea this film is potentially damaging. American and European films and TV shows over there are about as common as weed on the streets of london, this film would be no exception, people who watched it would probably have some questions and as ever questions in North Korea aren't good. The chances are that Pyongyang would aggressively surpress the film which would cause chaos within the relatively powerful middle class, they're already having to buy in computers and TVs from the west to keep these guys happy so killing some of them for owning the wrong DVD might bring things to a head.
soysauce

Postby MarkWill » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:01 pm

I've never really thought about the film being shown in North Korea because I'm not certain how such things could ever enter the country in the first place, but in this case, regardless of whether it was North Korea who committed the act, they're getting the attention they so desire.

I agree that they should've shown the film regardless. These are merely threats.
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby PaleRider » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Amazeroth wrote:It's still hard to believe the cowardice of Sony/the cinemas that decided not to show it. What did they think the hackers would be able to do to them?

They really had no choice since all the major theatre chains pulled out of showing it. However the moment it comes out I'm going to see it just to stick it to NK.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby CanadianEh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:53 pm

MarkWill wrote:I've never really thought about the film being shown in North Korea because I'm not certain how such things could ever enter the country in the first place, but in this case, regardless of whether it was North Korea who committed the act, they're getting the attention they so desire.

I agree that they should've shown the film regardless. These are merely threats.

Yes I agree, I'm pretty sure no North Korea would be able to watch the movie.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Afrocentric » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm

PaleRider wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:It's still hard to believe the cowardice of Sony/the cinemas that decided not to show it. What did they think the hackers would be able to do to them?

They really had no choice since all the major theatre chains pulled out of showing it. However the moment it comes out I'm going to see it just to stick it to NK.

I've heard that too, but in this cause the major chains are the cowards. Even more than Sony - Sony could actually suffer from hacker attacks, but major theatre chains would have a lot less to fear.

soysauce wrote:I think Sony are the people that won here, by all accounts this was a fairly shit comedy film anyway, because of this they have got a lot more publicity and when they do eventually release it everyone will want it simply because it's the film that North Korea wanted banned.

But for North Korea this film is potentially damaging. American and European films and TV shows over there are about as common as weed on the streets of london, this film would be no exception, people who watched it would probably have some questions and as ever questions in North Korea aren't good. The chances are that Pyongyang would aggressively surpress the film which would cause chaos within the relatively powerful middle class, they're already having to buy in computers and TVs from the west to keep these guys happy so killing some of them for owning the wrong DVD might bring things to a head.

I'd really be surprised if anyone in North Korea would have been able to watch the film. I've never heard that there was any kind of successful smuggling of Western goods into NK, so I'd be genuinely interested where you got that from.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Amazeroth wrote:I'd really be surprised if anyone in North Korea would have been able to watch the film. I've never heard that there was any kind of successful smuggling of Western goods into NK, so I'd be genuinely interested where you got that from.

I have actually heard of such a story by a defector who is now in South Korea (he wants to return, but he did admit the bad stuff).
Successful smuggling can happen through China.

Still, I really don't like the idea of The Interview.
It's not like a film that targets a generic "President of the USA" that has a different name in the film than in real life, and it's not like a film that is about a President who was actually assassinated already. It's a film about the assassination of a specific and real individual. I don't think any leader (or person) would be comfortable having such a film about them, unless it glorified them in some way. If we made a film about assassinating Obama, we would probably end up as the subjects of investigation.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Next

Return to Off-topic