Should Palestine become it's own country?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Should Palestine become its own country?

Yes
63%
No
28%
Undecided
9%

Total votes : 54

Re: Should Palestine become it's own country?

Postby PaleRider » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:45 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:I honestly don't know enough to make an informed decision/I approve but disapprove of an independent state. All I know about the Middle East is what CNN and Bill Maher tell me.

I'm Indo-Caribbean. I live in Jamaica. Over 90% of Jamaicans have West African ancestry, but my ancestors are from India. My Indian families came here less than 200 years ago.

Imagine if the British, who colonised both India and Jamaica, had set up a small settlement for Indo-Caribbeans, and invited me to live there. Imagine that, after I lived there, I tried to expand this settlement by demolishing the homes of people who already live in the surrounding area. Imagine my justification for this being that "My ancestors lived here, so I have a right to live here" while pretending as if the people there don't have a right to live there.

Now you may say that:
- I don't face oppression in Jamaica
- My issue isn't a religious one

You would be correct if you pointed those things out, so let me give you a more religious-sensitive case, while also giving you the opportunity to learn more about Rastafarians. They have similarities with the Jews.

Christianity dominated colonial and post-colonial Jamaica. Pan-Africanism was on the rise. Detached from their roots, some Africans wanted to form a religion that made them feel more in touch with African religious practices. It went hand in hand with the "Back to Africa" movement that aimed for a revival of African culture in a dominantly-African country. This wasn't a movement to literally go back to Africa (which is what makes this different from the Zionist movement), but some Jamaicans indeed took it literally, and were inspired by the Zionist movement.

Afro-Jamaicans identified Ethiopia as an African power, since it was never colonised (except for a very small period of time when Italy occupied it). Rastafarians have, since then, identified Ethiopia as their home, and have revered Haile Selassie as a great icon of African strength. According to their religion, all Africans originated and spread from Ethiopia, so they saw Ethiopia as the heart of Africa, instead of West Africa where most Jamaican slaves were from. What adds to the credibility of their belief, in their minds, is that studies suggest that East Africa is where the human species originated from.

Rastafarians were brutally oppressed in Jamaica, during the first 10 years of independence. They got a little more respect after Michael Manley won elections since a lot of them were involved in Leftist movements, but even middle class Leftists treated them terribly. To be a Rastafarian was a bad thing. I remember growing up (this is in the 90s, not the 60s) and hearing that I need to keep my hair low cut or else people would think that I'm "a Rasta" and they told my female cousin that she needs to comb her hair "to avoid looking like a Rasta" - being a Rasta was the worst thing in society you could be. Attitudes gradually shifted when tourists paid attention to our "Rasta culture" - it is only then, and after Bob Marley's music contributed to revolutionary poetry, that Jamaicans started respecting the 3% of the population that identified itself as Rastafarian.

So, just imagine if the Rastafarians moved to Ethiopia en masse and claimed that they originated in Ethiopia so they have a right to establish a Rastafarian state there. The justification for their Rastafarian state would be this claim of ethnic origin, as well as the Rastafarian history outlined in Rastafarian religion. It's just like a Jewish religious text being used as a historical document to justify the creation of a modern Jewish state, over a thousand years after the Jews left Israel. Some said they were forced to leave, by the Romans. Likewise, Africans were forced to leave by the European colonial powers. Whether Rastafarians wanted to set up this state in Ethiopia or somewhere West Africa, would it be legitimate if they treated the existing settlers the way that Israel treats Palestinians? Let's note, by the way, that Palestine wasn't the only place that the Zionists considered for setting up a state.

Is it okay for me - along with other Caribbean people of similar ancestry - to just move back to a piece of land where our ancestors are from, at the expense of the people who are currently living there? I would say no.

However we should also look at the broader history of the region. After the Romans took over and expelled many of the Jews, there was no history of an independent state existing in the Palestinian region. After Rome fell it became part of the Byzantine Empire then it became part of the Islamic Caliphate that burst from the Arabian Peninsula. After the split of the Caliphate it was dominated by whatever regional power held sway whether it was the Egyptian Mameluke's or the later Ottoman Empire. Outside of the Jewish established states, there has never been a Palestinian established state.
The trouble really started in Palestine/Israel once the Ottoman Empire fell in 1918 and the British and French took over the region. As Jewish settlers arrived they bought the land from the land owners and tried to make their own existence there. The problem was most of the poor Arab farmers were shafted by their former landlords when the land was sold thus fueling unjust resentment. To the Jews, what was a legitimate and legal property transactional process was some tinged subversive move by the Jews to remove Muslims from land.
On top of all this, the British proved hopelessly inept to ruling Mandatory Palestine between 1918 and 1947. They refused to deal efficiently with any ethnic and social tensions whether it was coming from Islamic rioters or Jewish paramilitaries and they simply let the problem spiral out of control. A vicious cycle of violence thus established itself to where Islamic mobs attacked Jewish settlers who in turn supported the Jewish paramilitaries who provided a measure of safety and "justice" that the British could not and frankly did not issue.
Thus when Britain left in 1947, it left behind a region ready to kill itself simply because it did not even attempt to build any effective institutions or resolve any underlying social tensions. And then in 1947 we see something quite remarkable, a total war. And as we all should know, a total war where groups of people are fighting for their mere survival brings out the worst in all of us. It brought the worst of Europe out in the two world wars and it brought the worst out of the American people during the civil war in the mid 1860's.
In 1947, the nascent Jewish state, which was defended by nothing more than a group of paramilitaries now faced the ostensibly more modern forces of the 5 combined Arab armies who were committed to driving the Jewish people settled here, many of whom were survivors of the Holocaust, into the sea and wiping them all out. In all honesty, atrocities and mistakes were made by all sides. Arabs/Palestinians evacuated their own villages and towns because of their belief in a quick victory and the first targets after the end of the British Mandate were newly established Jewish settlements. And on the Israeli side, it's probably true that they forced many Palestinians and Arabs from their homes as the fighting raged. It was total war, neither side has clean hands here.

However my post focuses on the present. Ask yourself, would Palestine be better off as a truly independent country right now? Every time I ask myself that question I always come up with the same answer: no.

Afrocentric wrote:pride, religion and politics

Those are the essentials of cultural identity. Pride, religion, politics are all part of a common identity that unite people together. Asking people to simply set aside these crucial considerations and parts of who we are as a people is naive.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby PaleRider » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:51 am

Ultimately I oppose Palestinian statehood at the moment because allowing it to happen now would only create a failed state. We have to chart a new way forward to resolve this issue. Arguing about long settled historical realities only makes tensions worse. Israel is here to stay and a Palestinians state will come about sooner or later. The problem is, how to get to the point where a Palestinian state is a real possibility?

Again this is where i propose re-activating the UN Trusteeship Council and have a group of neutral nations take over administration of Palestine and allow for demilitarization of Palestinian paramilitary and terror groups, building of durable and functioning institutions and creating a secure environment which would allow Israel to pull it security forces from Palestine and trust the new institutions.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby Afrocentric » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:24 am

It's not naive at all, what it is is realizing that it's better to agree on something rather than spend the rest of your life fighting over one of the most pointless conflicts to ever grace world history. I have no problem removing pride, religion and politics if it meant benefiting the collective as opposed to the individual and I think any rational, forward thinking individual would do the same thing. As it stands both the Israelis and Palestinians are arrogant morons who have convinced themselves that the only way to resolve this conflict is a bloody fight to the death. At some point you have realize you cannot keep doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over with the expectation of different results.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:16 pm

I absolutely support a Palestinian state - but at the moment it would immediately fail. What it would need for that to ever successfully happen wouldn't even be sensible Palestinian politicians so much as good Israeli ones. Ones that don't cater to the settlers and the politically right, and that won't stop the peace process every time an attack happens. We've seen what the current course leads to - Israelis under constant threat of terrorism and outright rocket attacks, and Palestinians suppressed, and deprived of most of what they'd need in the regions where they have autonomy. And not one sign that it would ever be better if this way was continued.

What is, however, completely unimportant, is how much Palestinians were wronged, or how much Israelis were killed, or if Israel should exist there in the first place. Neither of these questions lead to any kind of viable solution other than genocide or the status quo. If we try to solve the world's problems by looking at who was wronged in history, we'd be at war all the time.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Israel could never give up Judea & Samaria to the anti-semite dictator in Ramallah. It would give him and his Hamas allies the opportunity to strike directly at Tel Aviv.

Plus, it's not morally right. "Palestine" has no right to exist. It is a theoretic invention from the late 20:th century promoted by arab nationalists and islamists. The West bank (Judea and Samaria) was made "judenrein" by the Jordanians and the "settlers" are just reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. "Palestinians" have been trying to wipe out the Jewish native population since before there even was an Israel, like in 1929 in Hebron, and the latest poll from ADL shows that 93% of "Palestinians" harbour anti-Semitic views.

Rather, Israel should take Gaza back (the evacuation was a tragedy in the first place) and dismantle the Palestinian Authority. Israel is a multi-ethnic and free country were arabs can be loyal patriotic citizens and live in peace with their Jewish neighbours. However, the huge segment of the "Palestinian" population who obviously can't stand the idea of living in a free, democratic country together with people of different faith and ethnicity, and would rather prefer to live in some medieval state under sharia law, need to go away and find such a country to live in. There are plenty of those to choose from.
SelucianCrusader

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:47 pm

CanadianEh wrote:Yes but let's keep in mind Palistine would be a really tiny nation with no economy and it would no longer receive support from Israel. They need to get some sort of political force going that could honestly secure political stability if Palistine were to be independent.

What I'll keep in mind is that you said you don't know much/anything about Palestine except what CNN and Bill Maher tell you. Do some more research on Palestine before talking shit.

PaleRider wrote:However we should also look at the broader history of the region. After the Romans took over and expelled many of the Jews, there was no history of an independent state existing in the Palestinian region. After Rome fell it became part of the Byzantine Empire then it became part of the Islamic Caliphate that burst from the Arabian Peninsula. After the split of the Caliphate it was dominated by whatever regional power held sway whether it was the Egyptian Mameluke's or the later Ottoman Empire. Outside of the Jewish established states, there has never been a Palestinian established state.

That's irrelevant.

1) Some of the countries that emerged from British India didn't exist before colonialism. Before independence, could the British have created a state in Pakistan just to give me and other Indo-Caribbean people a place to live?
2) Even if the Palestinian people never had a sovereign state before, does that mean they shouldn't have had it? An area was defined as a Palestinian state by its occupiers. It just had many occupiers and never existed as sovereign. Does this mean that it should never have been sovereign, and that it should never have had a chance to be sovereign?

PaleRider wrote:The trouble really started in Palestine/Israel once the Ottoman Empire fell in 1918 and the British and French took over the region. As Jewish settlers arrived they bought the land from the land owners and tried to make their own existence there. The problem was most of the poor Arab farmers were shafted by their former landlords when the land was sold thus fueling unjust resentment. To the Jews, what was a legitimate and legal property transactional process was some tinged subversive move by the Jews to remove Muslims from land.

Don't conflate Arabs/Muslims. This has been more of a racial issue than a religious one. Please specify "White Jews" or "European Jews" as well, because the Arab Jews (who were living there before the waves of European immigrants) and Ethiopian Jews get treated like shit. They don't benefit from the madness as much as the White/European Jews do. I don't see why Arabs shouldn't have a problem with that anyway, because we see what Settler Colonialism did in South Africa. Anyone would fear that happening to them.

PaleRider wrote:On top of all this, the British proved hopelessly inept to ruling Mandatory Palestine between 1918 and 1947. They refused to deal efficiently with any ethnic and social tensions whether it was coming from Islamic rioters or Jewish paramilitaries and they simply let the problem spiral out of control. A vicious cycle of violence thus established itself to where Islamic mobs attacked Jewish settlers who in turn supported the Jewish paramilitaries who provided a measure of safety and "justice" that the British could not and frankly did not issue.

Thus when Britain left in 1947, it left behind a region ready to kill itself simply because it did not even attempt to build any effective institutions or resolve any underlying social tensions. And then in 1947 we see something quite remarkable, a total war. And as we all should know, a total war where groups of people are fighting for their mere survival brings out the worst in all of us. It brought the worst of Europe out in the two world wars and it brought the worst out of the American people during the civil war in the mid 1860's.

This isn't something good. I'm not sure why you would use such points to defend Israel or to oppose Palestine. You're further pushing me to hold the belief that Israel simply should not have existed, and that Palestine should have instead.

PaleRider wrote:In 1947, the nascent Jewish state, which was defended by nothing more than a group of paramilitaries now faced the ostensibly more modern forces of the 5 combined Arab armies who were committed to driving the Jewish people settled here, many of whom were survivors of the Holocaust, into the sea and wiping them all out.

And I give a fuck? They shouldn't have moved there. Their survival of the holocaust doesn't mean that they had the right to set up a "Jewish state" by taking land from other people. A "Jewish state" implies that non-Jews are second-class citizens. It perfectly fits the profile of Settler Colonialism, i.e. a state is set up to serve settlers and invite more immigrants, at the expense of the people who already live there.

PaleRider wrote:In all honesty, atrocities and mistakes were made by all sides. Arabs/Palestinians evacuated their own villages and towns because of their belief in a quick victory and the first targets after the end of the British Mandate were newly established Jewish settlements. And on the Israeli side, it's probably true that they forced many Palestinians and Arabs from their homes as the fighting raged. It was total war, neither side has clean hands here.

Not everyone in Palestine is responsible for what some Palestinians may have done to Jewish settlers. Notice, even when talking about the actions of Jewish settlers, I refer to something they all did (like purchasing land, the issue you brought up and I simply responded to), or I refer to the Israeli state instead. And it's not a matter of being "probably true" because Israel is still doing the same thing now. They demolish houses, extend their border, create a "buffer zone" from their border to a new Palestinian border, then demolish houses in this buffer zone. After a while, they build houses in their buffer zones and extend the border again, creating a new buffer zone that requires the demolition of more Palestinian infrastructure. Who moves into these places? Well, the Israeli state invites immigrants from other countries to occupy the land at the expense of Palestinians. These immigrants have more political rights than the Palestinians. I laugh when I see that you only say it's "probably true" that Palestinians/Arabs were forced from their homes, then the next line of your post says that you focus on the present as if that's not something that still happens now, in t present.

PaleRider wrote:However my post focuses on the present. Ask yourself, would Palestine be better off as a truly independent country right now? Every time I ask myself that question I always come up with the same answer: no.

Do you think the same of Kosovo?

After Palestine has been sabotaged and destabilised by agents of Settler Colonialism, it would be difficult, I admit. Still, such reasoning was warned against.
There's the talking point that too much happened to fix, so we should aim to fix things now and in the future without too much thought being put into actually correcting issues of the past. The past should be ignored and we move on. Then more shit happens, and injustice is done again, and the same thing is repeated a few years down the line. First, the 2-state solution is that we should return to the 1948 borders, then it's that we should return to the pre-1967 borders, then it will be that we should return to the pre-2012 borders. We should be moving to correct injustice, not tolerating their results.

Amazeroth wrote:What is, however, completely unimportant, is how much Palestinians were wronged, or how much Israelis were killed, or if Israel should exist there in the first place. Neither of these questions lead to any kind of viable solution other than genocide or the status quo.

Actually, the question of whether Israel (a "Jewish state") should exist in that area leads to something specific in my mind. A one state solution would be nice. Not a Jewish or Arab state, just a state. Spanish Colonialism happened and it can't be reversed. Settler Colonialism happened in South Africa, it led to some pretty horrible stuff and it can't be reversed. Bolivia has identified itself as a "Plurinational State" (something Ecuador is considering doing as well) and South Africa calls itself the "rainbow nation" (I believe Samora Machel advocated for something similar in Mozambique where he opposed racial war and encouraged descendants of Portuguese settlers to stay). For me, what "a Jewish state" implies is that non-Jews will be second class citizens.

SelucianCrusader wrote:Israel could never give up Judea & Samaria to the anti-semite dictator in Ramallah. It would give him and his Hamas allies the opportunity to strike directly at Tel Aviv.

It's funny you call Hamas allies of Fatah, when Mossad was the one that made Hamas a force that was strong enough to gain international recognition.

SelucianCrusader wrote:Plus, it's not morally right. "Palestine" has no right to exist. It is a theoretic invention from the late 20:th century promoted by arab nationalists and islamists.

But people were living there, and they had more of a right to live there than the settlers who moved there from Europe in the 1940s. I'm not sure what, apart from religious dogma, you use to determine whether a state should exist or not.

SelucianCrusader wrote:"Palestinians" have been trying to wipe out the Jewish native population since before there even was an Israel, like in 1929 in Hebron

So all Palestinians should be held responsible for the actions of some? In the same link, I notice where it said that Palestinian Arabs had hidden and protected Jews from the crazy people who were going around to kill them.

SelucianCrusader wrote:93% of "Palestinians" harbour anti-Semitic views

1) Arabs are more "Semitic" than White/European Jews who dominate the political face of the Israeli state today.
2) Jews in Israel, along with you, seem to have very anti-Palestinian views. You just find every excuse to dehumanise them.
3) Racial prejudice exists in many countries. It doesn't really justify anything.

However, the huge segment of the "Palestinian" population who obviously can't stand the idea of living in a free, democratic country together with people of different faith and ethnicity, and would rather prefer to live in some medieval state under sharia law,
I'm sure LGBT people would prefer to live in Jordan or the West Bank than in a country run by you, to be honest. The phrase "Sharia Law" is used like a buzzword nowadays. Also, the conflation of Arabs with Muslims is ridiculous. Not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims are Arab; you're just being ridiculous.

Your logic could also be used to justify the expulsion of Jews into the USA or something. If I thought like you, I would blame all Jews for the actions of the Israeli state, then cite the fact that the Israel state identifies itself as "a Jewish state" and therefore sees other religious groups and ethnic groups as either minorities or threats, then say that they "need to go away" since they "obviously can't stand the idea of living in a free, democratic country together with people of different faith and ethnicity".
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby CanadianEh » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:
CanadianEh wrote:Yes but let's keep in mind Palistine would be a really tiny nation with no economy and it would no longer receive support from Israel. They need to get some sort of political force going that could honestly secure political stability if Palistine were to be independent.

What I'll keep in mind is that you said you don't know much/anything about Palestine except what CNN and Bill Maher tell you. Do some more research on Palestine before talking shit.

My point was one based on simple facts and common sense, not the history or background of the region we are talking about. I was trying to explain that at this point Palistine would be one of, if not the most economically weak and unstable countries in the world.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:55 pm

CanadianEh wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:

My point was one based on simple facts and common sense, not the history or background of the region we are talking about. I was trying to explain that at this point Palistine would be one of, if not the most economically weak and unstable countries in the world.

When I was responding to you, I was talking about current things too, not 1940s history.

What simple facts?
Israel's blockade? Israel's destruction of homes and infrastructure in Palestine, which they haven't paid reparations for?
Israel collecting taxes from Palestinians but not handing them over to the Palestinian National Authority or using them to develop Palestine?
Palestine's population which is 10 times the population of Barbados?

If Israel just stopped some of the things it was doing, and if the Palestinian economy was given a fair chance, Palestine could have a proper economy.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Siggon Kristov wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:What is, however, completely unimportant, is how much Palestinians were wronged, or how much Israelis were killed, or if Israel should exist there in the first place. Neither of these questions lead to any kind of viable solution other than genocide or the status quo.

Actually, the question of whether Israel (a "Jewish state") should exist in that area leads to something specific in my mind. A one state solution would be nice. Not a Jewish or Arab state, just a state. Spanish Colonialism happened and it can't be reversed. Settler Colonialism happened in South Africa, it led to some pretty horrible stuff and it can't be reversed. Bolivia has identified itself as a "Plurinational State" (something Ecuador is considering doing as well) and South Africa calls itself the "rainbow nation" (I believe Samora Machel advocated for something similar in Mozambique where he opposed racial war and encouraged descendants of Portuguese settlers to stay). For me, what "a Jewish state" implies is that non-Jews will be second class citizens.

I agree that it would be far better if such a solution could be found, but I think it's even more unlikely than a peaceful two state solution. If you have a nation with two (or more) ethnicities that have grown to hate each other over generations, splitting the country seems to be the easiest solution. Which is why I also supported Kosovo becoming independent, and why I thought it was a good idea that Yugoslavia split up (although by war), and wasn't forced to stay together.
Although I confess that I don't know enough about de-colonialisation in South America and the Caribbean to see if there are obvious parallels to Israel/Palestinia that make a one-nation-solution possible.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:

I agree that it would be far better if such a solution could be found, but I think it's even more unlikely than a peaceful two state solution. If you have a nation with two (or more) ethnicities that have grown to hate each other over generations, splitting the country seems to be the easiest solution. Which is why I also supported Kosovo becoming independent, and why I thought it was a good idea that Yugoslavia split up (although by war), and wasn't forced to stay together.
Although I confess that I don't know enough about de-colonialisation in South America and the Caribbean to see if there are obvious parallels to Israel/Palestinia that make a one-nation-solution possible.

Splitting isn't working because Israel keeps stepping over the border every time a new one is drawn, and Israel's blockade on Palestine creates serious problems. The Caribbean didn't have the hatred between races that exists now in Palestine/Israel, but I didn't only mention the Caribbean. South Africa has more than 2 ethnicities that have been grown to hate each other.
Siggon Kristov

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic