Austria bans Neo Nazi Number Plates

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Austria bans Neo Nazi Number Plates

Postby J4C0B65 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33634656

I was reading the BBC news, when I saw this and thought: this is absolutely ridiculous. Just because someone has letters on a number plate that could abbreviate a Nazi Slogan, doesn't mean they are a Nazi.

Someone's initials could be HH, and be born on the 20th April like Hitler. However, because of this pointless rules, they cannot personalise their number plates!
Classic Particracy

Parti Conservateur Democratique (Lourenne) - Inactive
Parti Conservateur Democratique (Rildanor) - Inactive
Partido Nacional (Gaduridos) - Inactive
National Conservative Party (Beiteynu) - Inactive
J4C0B65

Re: Austria bans Neo Nazi Number Plates

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:19 pm

J4C0B65 wrote:Someone's initials could be HH, and be born on the 20th April like Hitler. However, because of this pointless rules, they cannot personalise their number plates!

At least they're not banning personalised licence plates altogether. Are personalised licence plate a right, anyway? I mean, their availability is nice but they aren't needed.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby J4C0B65 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:07 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:
J4C0B65 wrote:Someone's initials could be HH, and be born on the 20th April like Hitler. However, because of this pointless rules, they cannot personalise their number plates!

At least they're not banning personalised licence plates altogether. Are personalised licence plate a right, anyway? I mean, their availability is nice but they aren't needed.

You are probably right there, although it would be nice to make your own number plate. However, in the UK we have a system with the numbers on the plate which tell you which year it was registered. This obviously doesn't incorporate personalised number plates and therefore really annoys me when trying to identify the age of a car.
Classic Particracy

J4C0B65

Postby CanadianEh » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 pm

In Canada, you can get personalized plates, but it doesn't really happen often. I'm pretty sure our system is the same as the American one.
Kirlawa Liberals - Inactive
Baltusia Conservatives - Inactive
Rutanian Democratic Party - Inactive
Conservative Party of Luthori - Active

In all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom -- John Locke
CanadianEh

Postby Zongxian » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:26 pm

CanadianEh wrote:In Canada, you can get personalized plates, but it doesn't really happen often. I'm pretty sure our system is the same as the American one.

It's not unusual to encounter personalized plates in the US, I probably see at least one daily. But that's just speaking of personalized letters/numbers.

Guaranteed, any time I drive I will see specialized plates, which could be considered in the same category of personalized ones. These range from alma maters, to politicial or civic affiliations, to "I'm Pro-Life," to Save the Bay, and on and on. At least in Maryland it is like this for license plates.
Zongxian

Postby J4C0B65 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:52 am

In the US, don't you have patterns and illustrations on your number plates?
Classic Particracy

J4C0B65

Postby Kubrick » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:54 am

J4C0B65 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33634656

I was reading the BBC news, when I saw this and thought: this is absolutely ridiculous. Just because someone has letters on a number plate that could abbreviate a Nazi Slogan, doesn't mean they are a Nazi.

Someone's initials could be HH, and be born on the 20th April like Hitler. However, because of this pointless rules, they cannot personalise their number plates!

How is this ridiculous? If someone shares the initials and birth date with Hitler they wont put that on their license plate if they aren't Neo-Nazi's, it's Austria, the birthplace of Hitler for crying out loud. Right wing extremism and Nazi fanboyism are still a big thing there. Tolerating Neo-Nazi's spreading their offensive bullshit through things like license plates is ridiculous. No sane Austrian that doesn't align with Neo-Nazi's would reference that shit on their car.

And from my experience after being in Austria a few times the customized plates are mostly used to show who's driving it, in a small village the doctor had his own plate to show he was the doctor for example. The only people getting hurt by this is Neo-Nazi's and if you sympathize with them you need to re-evaluate your political alignment.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Kubrick wrote:
J4C0B65 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33634656

How is this ridiculous? If someone shares the initials and birth date with Hitler they wont put that on their license plate if they aren't Neo-Nazi's, it's Austria, the birthplace of Hitler for crying out loud. Right wing extremism and Nazi fanboyism are still a big thing there. Tolerating Neo-Nazi's spreading their offensive bullshit through things like license plates is ridiculous. No sane Austrian that doesn't align with Neo-Nazi's would reference that shit on their car.

And from my experience after being in Austria a few times the customized plates are mostly used to show who's driving it, in a small village the doctor had his own plate to show he was the doctor for example. The only people getting hurt by this is Neo-Nazi's and if you sympathize with them you need to re-evaluate your political alignment.

I wouldn't put it in that harsh terms, but I essentially feel the same way. It's not like people get punished if they already have these letter/number combinations, or apply, they just can't have them. It's already illegal to use ridiculous or offensive terms, and I'm not sure if your personal rights are that restricted if you can't put "SS" or "88" (code for "Heil Hitler") on your plate, even if these are your initials or your birth year.

As Siggon said, having personalised number plates is not really a human right.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Return to Off-topic