Britain & the European Union: in or out?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Should Britain remain in the EU, or leave?

Remain
44%
Leave
56%

Total votes : 36

Re: Britain & the European Union: in or out?

Postby jamescfm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 am

Aquinas wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37883576

Everything is getting very controversial now, with the judges saying Parliament has to vote on invoking Article 50, which would begin the process of withdrawing the UK from the EU.

I'm wondering...do other countries have messes like this...or is just Britain, with our famous unwritten constitution?

The thing with the British constitution is we have a habit of just sort of making it all up as we go along... ;)

Sweden hasn't got a constitution either, only the four basic laws. But there isn't any constitutional court to act upon them either - only consequence of violating those is getting "prickad" ("dotted") by parliament's constitutional caucus - which basically means sending an angry letter to the person in question. Of course, since you only need a simple majority in parliament on two occasions (before and after an election) to change the basic laws - maybe we're lucky they're not that ironcladly. :mrgreen:

jamescfm wrote:I watched Question Time the other night when they were discussing this and- honestly- I really do not understand what's so controversial about this ruling! In a parliamentary democracy, the exclusive power to make legislation should sit with Parliament as a whole, not one individual within it. It's crazy how the general Brexiteer community suddenly changed their tune on parliamentary sovereignty when it might make a decision they didn't like!
I kinda disagree honestly. Executive power is vested in the government and that includes foreign policies. But apart from that, it's ridiculous how some seems hell-bent on increasing contempt for professional politicians like this. :lol: I mean - you had referendum where the people spoke and now some want to stop it through politicians in a totally unproportional parliament where the 12.7% UKIP voters aren't properly represented. A few months ago it seemed UKIP was descending into chaos and bound wither away, but I guess some of their opponents would just miss them to much to let that happen so they had to provide them with more fuel to their bonfire. :P
SelucianCrusader

Postby jamescfm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 am

Zac Goldsmith ousted by Lib Dems in Richmond Park by-election

At last some good news for the Liberal Democrats!

Some momentum seems to be building now for the movement to block Brexit. The consequences, especially the economic consequences, of leaving the EU have been becoming clearer (eg. the huge widening of the deficit). Former Prime Ministers Tony Blair and John Major have both called for a rethink, as have other prominent figures.

I'm wondering how all of this is going to pan out...
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:07 pm

jamescfm

Previous

Return to Off-topic