Britain & the European Union: in or out?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Should Britain remain in the EU, or leave?

Remain
44%
Leave
56%

Total votes : 36

Britain & the European Union: in or out?

Postby Aquinas » Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 pm

I figure this is worth a discussion thread.

On June 23rd, myself and other Britons will have the opportunity to go to the polls and vote for whether Britain should remain in the EU or leave.

How should we vote?
Aquinas

Re: Britain & the European Union: in or out?

Postby Govenor12 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Of course, as a foreigner i should not intervene into or comment on your internal affairs. This is matter to be decided only by the British citizens.

However, personally i wish to see the UK leaving the EU, as this might unleash a wave of critical thinking about the integration process in many other EU countries. The EU needs an open an frank discussion on whether to continue the integration process and also why.
Furthermore it would enable the UK to freely negotiate trade agreements with other countries (China, India, Pakistan, Brazil, US...) and without many EU laws and regulations which drive up the costs of production. Also, the EU is not an emerging market but will shrink. Consequently the UK should diversifie and can do that better if its out of the EU.

Secondly, there is also the question of immigration from EU countries. Combined with the general population increase the UK public services are coming under heavy pressure. A Brexit would enable the UK to regulate this kind of immigration better.
Govenor12

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun May 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Ideally, I would love for the UK to eventually leave the EU. HOWEVER, I would vote to stay in right now. Yes, the deal Cameron negotiated was utter crap, but it is better than the current situation. Furthermore, my main concern is Scotland. Breaking up the UK cannot be risked. That being said, if the UK wishes to leave in the future, they need to actually bulk up the Commonwealth and make it an EU competitor. For Christ's sake, turn the Commonwealth into a common market, then let that set the foundations for a more EU-like institution. A more united Commonwealth is far easier to sell to the British people since they share much more with Commonwealth nations than Europe.

So, in short, vote to stay in because I don't want another Scottish referendum (I utterly hate and despise the SNP), but strengthen the Commonwealth and create an EU alternative allowing the UK to leave the EU without triggering a breakup by having something else to alleviate those who care more about consumerism than values.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Maxington » Sun May 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Now from an outsider,I can't comment much. It has been a topic of discussion here in Trinidad, on how will the brexit affect us and the Caribbean as a whole. Well i did some research on this and found out how the brexit could affect the Caribbean.
1. It would take longer for trade between Britain since they have to reorganize their trade,foreign and development policies.
2. Since Britain was basically the Caribbean's voice in the EU, with Britain gone the Caribbean would now have to decided whether its relations with the rest of Europe are actually "strong" instead of it being a case of "the only reason we have relations with the EU is because of/through Britain."

We are seeing a brexit of our own. It's called Jamexit. At the heart of the matter is another flare-up between Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica over the matter of movement of people. It started when Jamaican nationals were denied entry into Trinidad and Jamaica responded by basically saying,", if you don’t allow us access to your country, whether it is to freely move within Caricom then you won’t have access to our market". There are pushes in the Jamaican Cabinet to leave Caricom.

*In this situation think of Jamaica as the Britain of Caricom. Caricom is not going to survive if Jamacia leaves the same applies, the EU will unravel if Britain leaves. Think of it like this, Jamaica leaving Caricom could give significant damage to the Caribbean economy, Britain leaving the EU is like abuse to the world economy.

So in conclusion, If Britain leaves, in my opinion, it is going to have a significant affect on the Caribbean as the case would be if Jamaica were to leave Caricom.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Govenor12 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:17 pm

deally, I would love for the UK to eventually leave the EU. HOWEVER, I would vote to stay in right now. Yes, the deal Cameron negotiated was utter crap, but it is better than the current situation. Furthermore, my main concern is Scotland. Breaking up the UK cannot be risked. That being said, if the UK wishes to leave in the future, they need to actually bulk up the Commonwealth and make it an EU competitor. For Christ's sake, turn the Commonwealth into a common market, then let that set the foundations for a more EU-like institution. A more united Commonwealth is far easier to sell to the British people since they share much more with Commonwealth nations than Europe.

1. The SNP does not longer have a majority in the Scottish parliament. So, where are the missing votes for a new refrendum are gonna come from?
2. Unusually for Scotland, the Scottish Conservatives vote surged last time. I think this is a reflection of the wish of the electroate that there has to be more unity.
3. Is it realistic to hope for the commonweath countries to from such a new institution. Wouldn't this be viewed by many nations as neo-colonialism?
Govenor12

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun May 22, 2016 8:56 pm

1. The Greens.
2. Considering the Scottish Conservatives did not greatly advertise themselves as the Conservatives and primarily used Ruth Davidson's name, I would not entirely believe the all the new voters want Unity, but certainly many do, so you have a point.
3. Why not? I think it is entirely realistic, even if it was restricted to Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Sure, say the Commonwealth was strengthened, many probably would view it as neo-colonialism, but if it is modeled on the EU (but with more democracy) and considering the non-white Commonwealth Citizens would outnumber the whites with India more than likely eventually passing all other members in terms of GDP, would such a view really hold up? If anything, the non-white nations could band together against the white nations and could eventually be on equal economic footing. The Queen is already Head of the Commonwealth as it is. More unity, in terms of a free trade agreement, would more than likely be welcomed if they could just sit down and hash it out.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Autokrator15 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:14 am

The UK should leave the EU and all Brits here I emplore to please vote to leave.

I will start with explaining why I want this. With Britain leaving the idea of an unbreakable EU with a flawless currency will drop. The Danish might even have the courage to do the same and might cause the end of this terrible union. As a Dutch citizen I want nothing more to end the EU.

Now why its good for Britain and why the notion of voting to remain now is utter rubbish. Lets get this straight. This is a once in a life time oppertunity. There will be NO new referendum if Britain remains and the worry about the Scots is useless as the UK will not give them another referendum. Britain is the gate to India, has awesome relations with the Commonwealth and the USA will not push Britain back because it left because it needs Britian in Geopolitics and with China and India on the rise the USA will need all the partners it can get because Britain can get a free trade deal with China anytime they like! Iceland did it!

Now you have 2 years to renegociate all trade deals, thats easy and doable. Britain needs to see that the EU is putting a strain on small businesses and its bureaucracy and damned lies will only lead to an United States of Europe. Please dont let this happen. LEAVE! #BREXIT
Autokrator15

Postby Autokrator15 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:18 am

Maxington wrote:Now from an outsider,I can't comment much. It has been a topic of discussion here in Trinidad, on how will the brexit affect us and the Caribbean as a whole. Well i did some research on this and found out how the brexit could affect the Caribbean.
1. It would take longer for trade between Britain since they have to reorganize their trade,foreign and development policies.
2. Since Britain was basically the Caribbean's voice in the EU, with Britain gone the Caribbean would now have to decided whether its relations with the rest of Europe are actually "strong" instead of it being a case of "the only reason we have relations with the EU is because of/through Britain."

We are seeing a brexit of our own. It's called Jamexit. At the heart of the matter is another flare-up between Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica over the matter of movement of people. It started when Jamaican nationals were denied entry into Trinidad and Jamaica responded by basically saying,", if you don’t allow us access to your country, whether it is to freely move within Caricom then you won’t have access to our market". There are pushes in the Jamaican Cabinet to leave Caricom.

*In this situation think of Jamaica as the Britain of Caricom. Caricom is not going to survive if Jamacia leaves the same applies, the EU will unravel if Britain leaves. Think of it like this, Jamaica leaving Caricom could give significant damage to the Caribbean economy, Britain leaving the EU is like abuse to the world economy.

So in conclusion, If Britain leaves, in my opinion, it is going to have a significant affect on the Caribbean as the case would be if Jamaica were to leave Caricom.

Well thats Jamaica's own fault for not contacting the Netherlands.. Our country holds serveral islands there. Sint Maarten, Eustasius, Curacao, Aruba etc.

But no, Britain should leave. The EU is a monster
Autokrator15

Postby Maxington » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 am

Autokrator15 wrote:
Maxington wrote:Now from an outsider,I can't comment much. It has been a topic of discussion here in Trinidad, on how will the brexit affect us and the Caribbean as a whole. Well i did some research on this and found out how the brexit could affect the Caribbean.

Well thats Jamaica's own fault for not contacting the Netherlands.. Our country holds serveral islands there. Sint Maarten, Eustasius, Curacao, Aruba etc.

But no, Britain should leave. The EU is a monster

I don't think Siggon would want to be under the Dutch Flag. :lol:
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby Autokrator15 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I don't think Siggon would want to be under the Dutch Flag. :lol:

We're the 6th economy of the EU and the 18th of the world. I think being under the Netherlands would be a good thing. But having good relations with the Netherlands is what I meant. :lol:
Autokrator15

Next

Return to Off-topic