U.K. Monarchy, Abolish or Advance?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

U.K. Monarchy, Abolish or Advance?

Postby derpy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 am

I wanted to know from my fellow Brits what is their position on the monarchy, I am a stern Republican and want to see then carry out lives of every day people or at least rise above and be elected to their position, everyone's position is respected her though
Hey, hello, new person here.
derpy

Re: U.K. Monarchy, Abolish or Advance?

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 am

I am an American and I just want to tell you that a republic is no better. It is hardly even different. The difference is that half of us hate our head of state while only a rather small percentage of you all hate yours. You have your head of government to hate instead.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby CCP » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm American too, it's very different from a republic, and I've never heard a good argument for why you all keep it. In fact, the one argument for it that makes sense, I've never heard an Englishman make.
Global Roleplay Committee Chair(until March 2019)
Ity ꜣḥwt xꜣdt, Hawu Mumenhes
Movement for Radical Libertarianism, Talmoria
Enarekh Koinonia, Cobura
Sizwe Esintsundu Amandla Inhlangano, Ibutho
Christian Communalist Party, Rildanor
CCP

Postby derpy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Exactly CCP, their draining the Budget and also in a Republic like America can your Head of State abolish parliament? Are they in power for life and you can't really get rid of them besides anything short of armed revolution? I guessed no, do you seethe flaws now?
derpy

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Do you have any proof that your monarchy costs you any more money than our republic? Do you believe that Her Majesty would abolish Parliament? Or would any of her successors?
JuliaAJA

Postby Aquinas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 pm

For a long time I shared the same view as you, derpy, but I've since converted into a monarchist - albeit a somewhat lukewarm and reluctant one.

The first objection to removing the monarchy is the political cost that would be involved. Imagine the time and energy a government would have to expend in order to change the constitution? It just wouldn't be worth it. There are bigger political priorities to focus on.

I've grown in fondness for the Queen, and I like Prince Charles - even if the guy is a bit of a plonker. Prince William looks like he has the makings of a good monarch - although there is speculation he isn't keen on the role.

One of the great advantages of the British monarchy is the recognition it enjoys all over the world, and that benefits the country in terms of our international profile. Billions of people could probably name the reigning British monarch, but how many could name, say, the ceremonial Presidents of Germany or Italy?

Another point to add is that it is possible to support the institution of the monarchy whilst favouring a reform of the recruitment process. Theoretically, ever since the Glorious Revolution,the precedent has been that Parliament is able to decide who the monarch is. In practice, Parliament has almost always accepted whoever was next in line to the throne according to the traditional custom, but there is no reason this convention should not be changed. Personally I see no reason why Parliament shouldn't choose a monarch from within the royal family who is not next in line. Maybe, when the time comes, we could have King William instead of King Charles - or maybe even King Harry or Queen Eugenie? For that matter, why not appoint a monarch from outside the royal family altogether? They might be appointed for a 10 year term or something like that.

If I had my way, the "royal family" would be narrowed to include only those in the immediate line of succession; the rest should be taken off the civil list (ie. no taxpayers money). I would also boot the royals out of the historic royal palaces and open them up to tourists.
Aquinas

Postby derpy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:27 pm

Yes I can agree about the usage of energy it would take to kick out the hereditary Monarchy, as you'd need to ensure no war would break out over an institution no one cares for, just a comment on that I haven't meet anyone who is a royalist that actually applies it to their views, anyway if the U.K. is to face some horrible attack or economic crash, and this gave the monarch a reason to abolish parliament for that time giving them the power to act as a Dictator, I don't like someone who simply conquered my ancestors being like a god or dictator, I guess it ends up being when and what the monarch screws up on but when they drag down Great Britian I am sure I'll be the first one among the Liberty Army... I can understand why people support it but still, just saying they'd never betray us in anyway is what will lead us to tragedy. Anyway I'd suggest watching the video 'ten myths of the British Monarchy'
derpy

Postby MichaelReilly » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 pm

I literally do not care if monarchy is provably and objectively a thousand times better for a country than a republic, I am still deeply and utterly opposed to the concept of it. The very idea of unelected heads of state, born into state-sponsored privilege and the fact they are my 'betters' is actually written into a country's constitutional set-up is so fundamentally and diametrically opposed to my most basic political and philosophical tenets that it is impossible for me to even consider supporting a monarchy. They are an affront to democracy, progress and human decency, and I look forward to the day we as a country dismantle this medieval system of ours.

Fortunately, a monarchy is certainly not objectively better than a republic, so I can happily tell the monarchy to go fuck themselves without any argument being able to hold me back.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 pm

I will point out that a monarch is usually brought up with the skills and knowledge to lead. The average person could never hope to learn all the special knowledge and skills that come from being raised by the leader to lead.
JuliaAJA

Postby derpy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:35 pm

So this makes democratic forms of government not good? North Korea's government had been raised to govern, there for their better then the USA, U.K., or even the USSR?
derpy

Next

Return to Off-topic