U.K. Monarchy, Abolish or Advance?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: U.K. Monarchy, Abolish or Advance?

Postby Oakwood » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:07 am

derpy wrote:Exactly CCP, their draining the Budget and also in a Republic like America can your Head of State abolish parliament? Are they in power for life and you can't really get rid of them besides anything short of armed revolution? I guessed no, do you seethe flaws now?

Abolish? Kind of, yeah.

From the constitution:

Article III, Section III:

"He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper...."

While the Senate (which is, by its constitution, continuous) may never dissolve, the House does dissolve every two years. Therefore, technically, the President does have the power to dissolve the House of Representatives. They will, however, merely come back following election day and then the Senate will of course come back as well. Also its unclear in this clause if the President adjourning them (the original language said 'banish' explicitly) would mean they would have to stay away or if they could merely use their power to convene and set their own time to override that. Really, we've never had to deal with this issue in no small part due to precedent.

But yes, in part due to what's actually in the Constitution, and in part due to the growth of a Unitary executive in the United States, there is really little difference. I would advise you to simply go with the notion of an elective monarchy. I don't see it harming the current Queen (who seems to be the sole reason for its 60% approval rating) and if it gets rid of the embodiment of slackers known as Prince Charles I am all game.

I'm not certain what the Queen currently does; she seems to have at one point had a hand in crafting legislation under Harold Wilson, and played a key role in appointing PM's during hung parliaments. Also she seems to have used her power to stop debate to end some rather nonsense bills, though they were so inane I can't remember them at this particular moment. Nonetheless, in adverse to Victoria and her immediate successors (otherwise known as Elizabeth's grandparents and great grand parents) she doesn't seem to want to actually STOP an admittedly out of control Parliament, regardless of the fact that she might be the only Monarch we will ever see again with the public support to do so.

She seems like a person with the ability to be a leader, but she merely doesn't wish to be.
Oakwood

Postby Choice Party » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Republican for moral reasons. I think it's unacceptable in this day an age. However that's me personally, I acknowledge many do support the monarchy. I'd advocate a Referendum on whether to keep the monarchy after the Queen's death, and regardless would push for their complete removal of political powers, even if they are just honorary these days. I'd also sooner not have any taxpayer money fund the monarchy or their property, it should be handled privately. The referendum in question would simply be about whether to keep them officially as head of state or not. I argue in fact there's not a particular need for a head of state, the head of government would become the de-facto head of state if necessary.
Choice (Dolgaria) 3811-3832
Choice (Luthori) 3832-3875, 3899-3934
Choice (Kalistan)3875-3883
Choice (Hutori)3883-3899
Labour (Selucia)3934-3944
Progressive (Dolgavas)3944-3959
New Choice (Luthori) 3959-3982
LSP (Gaduridos) 3982-4004
Democratic (Mikuni-Hulstria) 4004-4038
Choice Party

Postby Aquinas » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Choice Party wrote:I'd also sooner not have any taxpayer money fund the monarchy or their property, it should be handled privately.

The tricky thing here is that if the royals were not publicly funded, they wouldl likely seek to attain an income in other ways. And that is likely to become controversial, once the almost inevitable accusations arise that they are in some way exploiting their royal status in order to serve their private interests. In almost any position a royal held - whether it was a job, or a seat on a board of directors or whatever - you would have the suspicion that they only got the position because of the prestige their royal status would give to whatever organisation/project it was.
Aquinas

Postby Choice Party » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Aquinas wrote:
Choice Party wrote:I'd also sooner not have any taxpayer money fund the monarchy or their property, it should be handled privately.

The tricky thing here is that if the royals were not publicly funded, they wouldl likely seek to attain an income in other ways. And that is likely to become controversial, once the almost inevitable accusations arise that they are in some way exploiting their royal status in order to serve their private interests. In almost any position a royal held - whether it was a job, or a seat on a board of directors or whatever - you would have the suspicion that they only got the position because of the prestige their royal status would give to whatever organisation/project it was.

That's true, but at the end of day at least it wouldn't be every tax payer funding them. And it's likely they would become celebrities in a way, I doubt they'd struggle too much to make ends meet.
Choice (Dolgaria) 3811-3832
Choice (Luthori) 3832-3875, 3899-3934
Choice (Kalistan)3875-3883
Choice (Hutori)3883-3899
Labour (Selucia)3934-3944
Progressive (Dolgavas)3944-3959
New Choice (Luthori) 3959-3982
LSP (Gaduridos) 3982-4004
Democratic (Mikuni-Hulstria) 4004-4038
Choice Party

Previous

Return to Off-topic