British Politics (was Spain Emulates Belgium...)

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Re: Spain emulates Belgium, stays 10 months without government

Postby Aquinas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 am

jamescfm wrote:
Aquinas wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:Aquinas, want to explain why the LibDems are not doing better? They are at least nominally classical liberal.

The opinion poll ratings are still crap, but we are doing very well in terms of increasing party membership and winning council seat by-elections. My impression is that the vibe *within* the party is actually very good - better than it has been for a long time. Record numbers attended last month's party conference, for example.

Brexit has been a disappointment for most Lib Dems, but it has succeeded in uniting/energising the party...that's the vibe I pick up. Morale is good.

Right now, our big problem is probably the massive decline in media coverage since the General Election wipeout.

Also, apparently we don't have much money (oh well!).

At times, I half wish we were more like UKIP and had a few interesting scandals. As they say, bad publicity is better than no publicity...

Do you consider yourself more of a Liberal or Social Democrat, Aquinas? Just out of curiosity.

Probably more of a social democrat, really. Actually, like quite a few Lib Dems, in many ways I'm reasonably compatible with Labour (and have voted Labour in the past), but the reason I'm Lib Dem and not Labour is partly a matter of political temperament, if that makes sense...by which I mean, Labour can be very, very tribal, in a way that the Lib Dems just aren't. That, and also I'm in favour of constitutional reform (which I don't trust Labour to make serious progress on).

Compared to other liberal parties in Europe, I would say the Liberal Democrats are probably more on the leftish/social democrat end of the spectrum, although as Reddy said, the Lib Dems do have their "Orange Bookers" who are much more classically liberal.

In the European Parliament, the Lib Dems belong to the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe. From what I'm aware, the Lib Dems fit in very well with that group, although they are probably on more social democrat wing of it. Some of the other parties in that group are quite right-wing economically, really.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:31 pm

jamescfm wrote:
Aquinas wrote:Probably more of a social democrat, really. Actually, like quite a few Lib Dems, in many ways I'm reasonably compatible with Labour (and have voted Labour in the past), but the reason I'm Lib Dem and not Labour is partly a matter of political temperament, if that makes sense...by which I mean, Labour can be very, very tribal, in a way that the Lib Dems just aren't. That, and also I'm in favour of constitutional reform (which I don't trust Labour to make serious progress on).

I hear you on constitutional reform. Don't worry, though, I pulled a few strings for you and we're getting behind PR now! ;)

Call me cynical, but in my experience a lot of you Labour people only support proportional representation during periods when you look like you can't win a General Election, but then once you're in power, you lose interest! :P
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:53 pm

jamescfm wrote:Poppycock! Besides, the way things are going, I'm not sure you'll have to worry about us being in power anytime soon...

That's no good; if you don't get into power, then you can't deliver us PR!

(And if you do get into power, you won't deliver PR because that would mean losing power...see what I mean? :P)
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:00 pm

jamescfm

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:05 pm

If you'd got a proportional system, you'd get UKIP at 81 MP:s instead of 1 and the Tories having 239 MP:s instead of 330. 239 + 81 = 320. The two protestant parties in Northern Ireland would get 9 or 10 seats - enough to secure a majority for the right-wing bloc (if they want to cooperate that is). Maybe not a parliamentary situation either liberal democrat nor labour voters would be so satisfied with. :mrgreen:

Just got a shock when I realized Louise Mensch was 45 years old. I'd totally date her but it would feel kinda weird when she's almost my mom's age. :?
SelucianCrusader

Re: British Politics (was Spain Emulates Belgium...)

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 pm

This video kinda explained why I dislike first-past-the-post systems quite well btw:

SelucianCrusader

Postby jamescfm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:31 pm

jamescfm

Re: British Politics (was Spain Emulates Belgium...)

Postby MichaelReilly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:35 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/13/argos-drivers-to-strike-before-christmas

Argos workers are now to go on strike over Christmas regarding unpaid backpay. With Southern Rail in chaos over the brutal tactics of the management, it seems capital may have overplayed its hand slightly and are now beginning to pay the price. Both labour and consumers are being hit hard due to the appalling behaviour of the owners.

Up the workers.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Previous

Return to Off-topic