Elections for the President of the European Parliament

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Who should be the President of the European Parliament?

Antonio Tajani (EPP)
22%
Gianni Pittella (S&D)
22%
Guy Verhofstadt (ALDE)
56%

Total votes : 9

Elections for the President of the European Parliament

Postby PaleRider » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:26 am

I'm sadly out of touch these days on my European Parliament politicking but hopefully some of you all can fill in the gaps. Who would you like to see become the next President of the European Parliament? (also who else is running?)

So far all i know is this guy is running....and i would support him despite my overall backing of the EPP:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ent-brexit

EDIT: I actually read my own article lol
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Re: Elections for the President of the European Parliament

Postby Aquinas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:09 am

The UK's Liberal Democrats, who I'm a member of, are affiliated with ALDE (Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe), so my natural sympathies are with them and Guy Verhofstadt. Not just for that reason, though; I've seen Verhofstadt in action a few times in the European Parliament (on television, not in person) and he's very witty, very sharp and very impressive.

I am fully expecting he will annoy a lot of the Brexiteers (whether he he gets this particular job or not), but that wouldn't put me off supporting him.

I think he also has the stature and the personality to raise the profile both of the position and of the European Parliament in general, which can surely only be a good thing.
Aquinas

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:11 am

Where is the "None of the above, shut the damn thing down" choice? :lol:

Those three are all the same 97.1% of the time, so I really can't choose. EPP has some conservative and nation state-oriented member parties in Eastern Europe like in Croatia, Hungary etc. and Tajani used to belong to Berlusconi's Forza Italia do he's probably the candidate with the biggest potential of being the least worst of them for a conservative eurosceptic. But I have really no idea about who he is and I guess like 98% of their supposed electorate doesn't. You have a hard time finding a Swede who can name some of the EP party groups lol.

http://www.europeansunitedfordemocracy. ... arliament/
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Postby Hrafn » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:16 am

Warlock wrote:Where is the "None of the above, shut the damn thing down" choice? :lol:

+1
Hrafn

Postby Lucca » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Hrafn wrote:
Warlock wrote:Where is the "None of the above, shut the damn thing down" choice? :lol:

+1

I feel the same way :)
Lucca

Postby MarkWill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm

American here.

I sympathize with the sovereignty arguments a lot of Euroskeptics make (we cherish that very, very, dearly, as is known, here in the U.S. :lol: ), but from an outsider perspective, Europe is much stronger together than divided. I do recognize some of the bureaucratic problems with it (this web page helps clarify some things: https://www.coe.int/en/web/about-us/do-not-get-confused), but the common market seems to me like a good thing (then again free trade doesn't seem to be popular these days despite overwhelming empirical evidence that points to the contrary).

What exactly is the crux of the anti-EU argument? They make the laws? Immigrants from Poland, Romania, etc.? If the latter is the case, does an EU comprising only western European states sound any better? I just want to be able to understand this all a bit more. :)
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 am

MarkWill wrote:American here.

I sympathize with the sovereignty arguments a lot of Euroskeptics make (we cherish that very, very, dearly, as is known, here in the U.S. :lol: ), but from an outsider perspective, Europe is much stronger together than divided. I do recognize some of the bureaucratic problems with it (this web page helps clarify some things: https://www.coe.int/en/web/about-us/do-not-get-confused), but the common market seems to me like a good thing (then again free trade doesn't seem to be popular these days despite overwhelming empirical evidence that points to the contrary).

What exactly is the crux of the anti-EU argument? They make the laws? Immigrants from Poland, Romania, etc.? If the latter is the case, does an EU comprising only western European states sound any better? I just want to be able to understand this all a bit more. :)

Swede here.

I agree that the european nations should cooperate, and if the EU was just a military defence alliance, non-aggression pact and a simple free trade agreement, I would support it. I could even stomach a common currency in the right circumstances (now isn't the right circumstances).

The problem, IMO, is that the EU does a lot more than that, and it's moving towards a United States of Europe. At best it's just a laughable but harmless farce, like when they try to create a "European identity" with flags, anthems and other plastic-patriotic nonsense, nevermind that the european peoples already have a sense of common identity (otherwise the EU project would never have lifted from the ground to begin with). But at worst it's actually downright destructive, like the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and the food waste and environmental destruction it causes.

The inherent problems with this bureaucratic meddling are compounded by the fact that many voters don't feel that they can actually influence what happens in EU-level politics. This is just simple math: the bigger the population, the less the invividual's vote matters. Furthermore, there is a lack of transparancy with treaties being negotiated in secrecy (e.g. TTIP; this footage is very telling by the way) and even public documents being largely incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a bureaucrat, and since the media coverage of the issues is bare-bones at most, ordinary voters who don't have the leisure time to read about politics on the internet 24/7 simply have no ability to form a fully informed opinion before going to the voting booth.
This is a critique of the EU that is shared by various people from all over the political spectrum.

In addition to these concrete issues, there is also the fact that the EU is a project of prestige for the chattering classes, and whether or not you believe in the EU has become one of the shibboleths in the (western) european countries' version of the Culture War. So being anti-EU is often just a way to signal your general contempt for the urban, liberal establishment. (Don't get me wrong now, I despise those people too.)

Now, on the "refugee" issue, it really isn't the EU's fault. Sure, Brussels barks at member states to keep their borders wide open, but countries like Hungary have shown that you can actually get away with a lot if you have some backbone. And it isn't the EU that runs the welfare systems that give shit away for free...
Also note that when most people talk about "EU migrants" and "East Europeans" they are not actually complaining about poles, romanians, hungarians, etc. They are complaining about gypsies.

My proposals for salvaging the EU:
1. Abolish the ECB.
2. Abolish the CAP.
3. Let member states have border controls and deport problematic "EU migrants".
4. If we are going to have a federation, write a constitution that strictly and clearly limits what the central government is allowed to do, which should be as little as possible, and make sure to not leave any loop holes.
5 Implement "semi-direct democracy" similar to the Swiss system on what little the central govt does legislate.

This will of course never happen, so I have to go to plan B: have countries drop out of the EU until it implodes, and then maybe build it anew from scratch.
Last edited by Hrafn on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrafn

Postby Polites » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 am

Hrafn wrote:Also note that when most people talk about "EU migrants" and "East Europeans" they are not actually complaining about poles, romanians, hungarians, etc. They are complaining about gypsies.

And complaining about Gypsies is better than complaining about Poles, Romanians, or Hungarians why?
Polites

Postby Hrafn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am

Polites wrote:
Hrafn wrote:Also note that when most people talk about "EU migrants" and "East Europeans" they are not actually complaining about poles, romanians, hungarians, etc. They are complaining about gypsies.

And complaining about Gypsies is better than complaining about Poles, Romanians, or Hungarians why?

I didn't actually say that it was better, I just said that that is the case, since I thought that MarkWill might have been under the impression that there is a huge disliking of eastern european immigrants in general, rather than of gypsies in particular.
However, since you asked, complaining about gypsies is not uncalled for given how they, as a group, behave. They are astronomically overrepresented in all kinds of criminality, they camp illegally on other's property and leave it looking like a landfill, and refuse to integrate in general.
Hrafn

Next

Return to Off-topic