Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis?

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis?

Postby PaleRider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 am

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1027782.shtml
http://for.tn/2i4Cvrr

Just why? I'm really worried we are bumbling into the next Taiwan Strait Crisis....
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Re: Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis?

Postby MarkWill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 am

I believe a part of this may be due to their neoconservative tendencies and affinity towards democracies and free-market nations. Opposition to China, politically, goes a long way back precisely for this reason.

Another part may simply be because they're playing along with this broader scheme, with Trump at the head of course, in which the U.S. plays as if it actually wants to officially recognize Taiwan, when they are actually intend to use it as leverage against China in negotiations over hacking or the South China Sea.

Either way, it's reckless and could end the status quo, quasi state of peace Taiwan existed in and might give China a pretense to take the island by force. I really don't think the U.S. is prepared for a war at this point, considering there are some in this country who like a foreign leader who kills his opposition more than our own president.
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:21 pm

That's not necessary a bad thing. The free world's abandonment of a small young democracy has been shameful. Many countries have diplomatic contact with both North and South Korea for example despite them formally claiming jurisdiction over the same area, so why should Mainland China bully us to not be in touch with the Republic of China, which is great in every way that the mainland is horrible?

If there's a breakdown of China's relations with the west which results in trade difficulties that could be wonderful. It's horrible how we've been giving away our industrial capacity to such a vile dictatorship, not only because we've putting a rope around our necks but also for humanitarian, environmental and animal welfare reasons. Who can take our modern Social Justice Warriors seriously when they're all promoting their social justice stuff on their Iphones or Ipads?

In the future I hope we could mostly scrap the ineffectual UN which is a place for the worlds pretty thugs and dictators and are only consistent in their hatred of the Middle East's only decent country (Israel) and create some sort of League of Democracies instead with the US and Canada and the European countries together with Israel, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan/Free China, and a few others.
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:52 pm

jamescfm wrote:Just a short anecdote. I've been reading some of your comments/remarks lately and thinking 'maybe I misjudged SelCru to begin with, maybe he's not all bad'. Then I read this and realised that's not the case ;) fuck Israel

Hahaha what did you expect from someone going by nicknames like "Crusader" and "Warlock"? :D Team Bad™ ftw.

Taiwan is at least far-away, have no real connection to it except that I find Chinese culture intriguing. With Israel it's different. I try to not express myself in unnecessarily stark terms but those so-called Palestinian [censored]:s can really make my blood boil.

Am Yisrael Chai!
Warlock

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't think one should judge entire ethnic groups either, however to me "Palestine" is more like an ideology or a political idea than an nation or nationality. But let's not get too off-topic.
Warlock

Postby MarkWill » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:59 pm

I despise the Palestinians and find their actions despicable. You cannot negotiate with a group that doesn't want you to exist.

At the same time, I've become disillusioned with Israel. They've become so arrogant and have started to take U.S. support for granted. I'm rather glad the U.S. abstained. Maybe it'll put them back in line. After all, if the U.S. doesn't support Israel, who will?
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Return to Off-topic