Organ donation

Anything that is not directly related to the game or its community.

Organ donation

Postby Hrafn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-citizens-organ-donors-france-opt-out-donation-hospital-healthcare-doctors-a7508576.html

So France has adopted an "opt-out policy" on organ donation, meaning that consent is presumed unless you actively register on a "No"-list. This has caused a debate on the issue in other countries as well, and has made a lot of people furious.

Personally, although the idea of people harvesting my would-be corpse for organs seems a little freaky, I would not object to it. Considering that they would either decompose in the ground or be turned to ashes anyway, there really is no reason to take them with me into the grave. I think that the people objecting to this are more than a little silly, and it amuses me somewhat that people seem to be more up in arms about what happens to their dead flesh after death than about the myriad indignancies and restrictions of our liberties that we are suffering during life (taxes, regulations, etc.).
I think that people who refuse to donate organs should not expect receive any.

But maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are rational reasons to be opposed to this?
Last edited by Hrafn on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hrafn

Re: Organ donation

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Last edited by jamescfm on Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:35 pm

I am personally signed up to the NHS Organ Donor Register, and would strongly encourage others to do likewise (talking in the UK context, here). Organ donation is a wonderful, amazing gift to give to someone. It can really transform people's lives.

It is a beautiful gift, but I do feel strongly it should be that - a gift. To my mind, making organ donation compulsory would not be respecting the dignity of the deceased person. It would be wrong.

There are arguments for an opt-out system...I'm not without empathy for that argument, but personally I think the system should remain opt-in. Although I would strongly support a big education/information campaign to explain to the public about how organ donation works. I think that that would likely lead to an increase in donors.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:49 pm

jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:55 pm

A good point, James. Organ donation rates are not as high as one would hope they would be.

https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice ... n-donation
https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centr ... on-opt-out

The British Medical Association is asking for what they call a "soft opt-out system". Not sure what I make of that...I'm not without sympathy for the argument, but at the same time I'm not comfortable with it.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm

jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Going off the point a little...but I'm remembering how some time ago, I spoke to a friend of mine who told me she would not donate her organs because she worries that if she was ever seriously ill in hospital, the doctors might deliberately neglect her or let her die, just so they could get hold of her organs. That struck me as a very bizarre kind of view to hold, especially from someone so obviously intelligent and well-educated...but I do think it reflects the broader reality that a lot of people have become distrusting of doctors, hospitals and the "medical establishment".

I am convinced though that there are a surprising number of people out there who hold all sorts of strange ideas/fears about organ donation. Although many are probably too shy to talk about them much.
Aquinas

Postby UniSocAll » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Hrafn wrote:But maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are rational reasons to be opposed to this?

So this has been recently implemented here in the Netherlands as well recently, and the reasons given for "being opposed" are usually: limited government, principle of bodily autonomy and having a choice, and religious or spiritual reasons.

On other reason given is the idea/conspiracy that now medical professionals are less likely to try their best to save you since virtually everyone is now an organ donor. Of course, there is no basis for this believe, but people will believe what they believe.

Personally, the idea is a great idea and solves a lot of problems for lots of families, and really, nobody needs their organs after their dead anyway.
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:05 am

jamescfm

Postby Warlock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 pm

hey JBN, are you coming back soon? The free world needs its champion. :mrgreen:

On topic: I really don't know what I think about it. I could potentially see the argument of bodily autonomy not being more important than saving people's lives, as is the case with drugs etc.
Also known as SelucianCrusader
Warlock

Return to Off-topic